Customer reviews

Staircase, Hourglass, Sundial, Sand
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 March 2014
As a very committed music lover and admirer of Keith Jarrett for almost 40 years, I have to say this recording is a "must have", and maybe one of three or four of his most impotant solo works, and maybe his best. Deserving of repeated play and deep introspection and immersion, the sublime musicality and deep spirituality emerges and grows over one in time. Maybe his most deeply emotional recording ever (Hourglass Part II). I have owned this 1st in LP form (still do and play) since the original release, and continue to come to this piece as my first refuge in listening when I need to be washed over and cleansed. This new 2 CD set, made in Germany, is far superior to my much older single CD, made in USA (suffering from horrible early "digititus"), and at least comes somewhat close to the sheer musicality of the original LP. If you must have this recording on CD, this is the one to have.
on 14 March 2017
Thank you. Product arrived in perfect condition.
on 6 July 2007
This is one of my favourite Keith jarrett studio albums. I appreciate that his live recordings tend to have great audience atmosphere which draws the listener in, and there's always the sense of a tightrope being walked, but this cd makes you feel like an eavesdropper into something very personal and private. The other reviewers sum it up pretty well: these tracks are a showcase for most of Jarrett's musical moods, and a wonderful vehicle for his awesome talent.
on 18 December 2014
Classic K Jarrett - as predictably enjoyable as ever.
on 12 May 2017
To me this is by far the best record I've ever heard. I am a fan of the classic hard rock scene and progressive rock music, from the early seventies, but when a friend of me introduced me to Jarret's music on this album, it blew me off of my feet. It sounds today as fresh and intriguing as then. Five stars is not enough.
on 29 June 2006
I totally agree with the first reviewer of this album except for one point - it is and always has been a double album both on vinyl and CD. The first CD contains Staircase parts 1,2 and 3 plus Hourglass parts 1 and 2. The second CD contains Sundial parts 1,2 and 3 and Sand parts 1, 2 and 3.

This CD for me is the pinnacle of Jarrett's work because it is so incredibly well composed, structured and coherent as a complete piece of work across several different pieces. It is peerless in Jarrett's work because it is in many ways 'stripped down' to the barest elements of his musical style. Concise, precise and absolutely beautiful. The images of the albums artwork are of an enigmatic staircase in the middle of desert leading to....? I have read that Jarrett is interested in Sufism and Gurdjieff - well this album for me has many resonances with the music of the middle east and certainly encapsulates elements of the Sufi philosophy that 'Music is the voice of God'. There are also moments of beauty on this album that are hard to describe - way beyond the levels of the ever popular Koln Concert. For me Hourglass part 2 is the most lyrical piece of piano music I have ever heard and I've literally listened to it hundreds of times over a period of 25 years - and it always rewards another listen. There is some more dissonant work on this album as well which may be hard work for some listeners but if you can open yourself up to the overall album and give it a few listens you will start to hear a beautiful geometry to this work which will take you to a musical place you may have never been to before - well worth it! This is, without a doubt the work of a master musical architect.
22 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 April 2017
One of the most moving, inspirational piano albums of all time. . . . timeless and priceless !!
on 19 August 2006
Strange how you come to music.

My ears were opened to Keith Jarrett in college by an odd fella, who gave me 3 tapes of his music. I found this somehow the most moving. It has a tremendous sense of motion, but I feel it has something of the divine in it. To me it has that sense of great music that we cannot define, but know when we hear it. Happy memories for me when I left college and playing this upstairs in my house and hearing the divine piano notes spinning through the house. Jarrett rates it, so do I. At one time I heard with the ears of "too many notes my dear Mozart", but other times was moved by each one. Recommend it.
11 Comment| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 July 2006
I entirely agree with the preceding reviewer. I could write tons, but who's going to read it? So let's keep it short.

Wounded, tender, autobiographic, melancholic, wistful, haunting (and all those other inadequate, cheap descriptives): this is magical KJ music. I have listened to it again and again and again, spellbound. Stands the test of time. Love it.