Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 July 2000
MCC's Stones in the Road is one of my favourite records of this - or any - genre. A Place in the World doesn't begin to measure up. It's hard to say what's missing, but I think the problem is that she's concentrated too hard on the words and forgotten that these are meant to be *songs*, rather than just poems with an accompaniment. The tunes here seem unimaginative and forgettable.
I saw MCC on her Party Doll tour in 1999, and in a two-hour set, she played nothing from this album. Perhaps she recognizes that it's not up to her usual standard.
on 17 May 2001
MCC has a happy knack of belting out great music, both fantastic ballads and upbeat rockers. Not content with the brilliance of 'Stones In The Road', she went on to record this corker of a record with such varied highlights as the title track, The Better to Dream of You, Naked to the Eye and What If We Went to Italy. Brilliance at work.
on 15 November 2016
A lovely album. I play it mainly in my car, especially driving home after a hard days work.
on 3 January 2013
I never heart from Mary Chapin Carpenter. Amazon tips me: "What other people buy. I thank Amazon for this tip.Now I have 4 CD's of Mary with music that moves me.
on 14 October 2013
I am a new convert to the work of MCC. It's difficult to choose a favourite - every album is special.
on 5 June 2015
Great song writing and singing. Truly beautiful I have enjoyed catching up collecting all her albums'