Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 August 2005
The first track on Paris Concert is without doubt the most inspirational piano music I have ever heard. In around 38 minutes Jarrett takes the live audience through a journey of improvisational styles beginning with Bachian counterpoint, then his own characteristic chaotic disharmony and ending with a simple melodic resolution. This contrast in styles culminates with a sense of the divine. It has a profound physical effect on the listener.
Forget everything you ever thought about solo piano, this is something new and something that Jarrett has never reproduced.
on 9 October 2010
Make no mistake; this is not Bach's music. This is Jarrett's improvisation on the spot. From scratch, these very notes played live, only once in the lifetime!

Despite some 300 CDs in my collection, mostly classical, there is no music I listen in the last six months other than the live piano concerts of Keith Jarrett. Highly excited about that, I said recently to my son that the man could possibly be the most talented musician since the Big Bang, assuming that he is from this planet (well, sometimes I am not sure about that).

I immediately realized that my claim could have been too emotional, but this CD may actually prove my point. Listening the first part of this album, I wonder whether Bach, who btw is one of my favourite composers, himself was able of improvising in the length of nearly 40 minutes in such breath taking way?

Everybody will have his/her own opinion; I find the verdict of faux Bach grossly unfair for this beautifully crafted music, indeed under the influence of Bach. I simply love it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 July 2007
This solo Piano album really grows on you. My intial reaction to hearing it was, well this is nice but it certainly isn't Jazz. However after a few listens I began to appreciate the beauty in his 'Classical' improvisations. And for those who don't know, all of Keith Jarretts solo non-classical Piano concerts are improvised from scratch on the spot. This does occasionally lead to some moments where you can literally hear him hold down a vamp whilst he awaits inspiration. But remember rhythm alone can be music. On this CD the level of inspiration is kept high all the time.

The second and third track were probably originally encores and both are memorable for different reasons. 'The Wind' is a lovely tune which Jarrett plays beautifully, demonstrating his immaculate touch and phrasing. 'Blues' is a minor blues and as a way to finish the album I can't think of anything better. This is a return to very routes of Jarretts Jazz playing and after the intensity of the first track and the beauty of the the second, its a marvellous contrast.

This isn't the best of Keith Jarretts solo Piano concerts (try the Breman/Lausanne concerts) hence I've not given it 5 stars, but it is still a staggeringly good recording from one of the great musicians alive today.
on 27 August 2003
This really is one of the most emotional music I have ever heard. To me, this CD is worth it for the 1st track only. I have quite a few of Jarrett's solo concerts, but this track goes a step further. The two other tracks are good (especially "The Wind"), but in a way do not go with the 1st track. There is a huge difference of delivery.
I can only recommend it. The 3rd part of the 1st track is pure bliss.
on 26 January 2009
It took me a little longer than usual to fall for this recording. Might be something to do with the fact that the first track is 38 minutes long and definitely needs 110% attention from the listener or you probably won't get it. Once I finally got that long and listened without interruption (turn off your phone etc) I was enthralled and this has been my favourite solo recording of them all. It is incredibly emotional, beautiful, powerful, daring and surprising. Unlike some of his earlier concerts that journey through jazz, classical, blues etc, this is more like one complete perfect vision that builds to a mesmerising climax (with a short hymn in the middle).

The reviewer that gave it 2 stars here and fond the 'faux Bach' laughable might have benefited from some quick research. Jarrett was in the middle of several years of studying Bach for a series of releases on ECM new series - so it's little wonder that it emerged in his improvisation. He was living and breathing it at that moment. It isn't 'faux' or pastiche. It is the beating of his heart.

The atmosphere throughout is magical - a piano wizard conjuring powers from the centre of the earth. It is an emotional rollercoaster and quite tiring if you really give yourself up to it. Tiring in a gorgeous way though - not unlike the feeling you have after great sex.

The release of tension after the great crescendo is awesome and displays remarkable piano technique and control, even by Jarrett's standards. He is controlling the energy in the concert hall itself.

The Wind (track 2) lives off the energy still hanging in the air from track 1.
Blues (track 3) is Jarrett's way of drawing the line under the perfection of what came before. The mood changes but is no less rewarding. The flowing melodic blues lines over a solid funky bass line seem to include every great blues line that ever came before and there is so much more soul in the trailing grace notes than most blues men have ever achieved in their entire careers.

Invest in this recording, invest in some selfish quality time. Turn off your phone, close the door, turn it up. Invest in your soul.
on 27 October 2006
The first track on this album is an emotional rollercoaster. Jarrett draws you into the music by the passionate intensity of his playing until nothing else matters but the music. Beware listening to this album in the car as I did the first time I played it. It is very difficult to concentrate on driving! I felt as though I had to pull over and just let the music wash over me. I felt emotionally drained at the end of it and was then soothed by the breathtakingly beautiful second track. The only other solo concert I had in my collection, before buying this album, was the Koln Concert, which as much as I love it, had not prepared me for this.
on 23 September 2015
I can't,or rathr,won't add to the other reviews,other than to say I am so very glad there are people in this world who appreciate great music,and this is that,certainly.I have every KJ recording,I think,rare and more commonplace,and those with him with disparate groups(Art Blakey,believe it or not,amomg them,once).And I both love and admire him.As a person,well,I think he may be a tad difficult,but then,genius is,and I cannot comment on such tantrums one hears about,merely the one recorded on an Impulse release.Yes,the man has an ego,but who has not?Regardless,he is someone I return to time and again,for a spiritual,explorative journey.There is none better,and whilst I also collect classical pianists,how many of those actually create,rather than interpret?If only for that,KJ is the ultimate,a sublime artist.
on 5 July 2013
A unique artwork melody is as special for every one as it's personality, it's included in the most of the top Keith's musical performance with Solo Concerts Bremen and Lausanne and stand out among amazing Staircase, face in you & la scala.

HIGHLY RECOMENDED !!!!!
on 7 January 2000
Having listened to Keith Jarretts 'Kohn concert' & been blown away by it, the Paris concert was a necessity. It seems inadequate to merely describe what he does as just play the piano. He pours and pounds his soul out through the keys. He moans and hums as he performs, it sounds almost like fantastic sex. So good that it makes you wish you were the piano. I found there were moments of stillness I've only previously experienced when meditating and then been flung into moments of frenzied passion that, frankly, I've never actually experienced. If you enjoyed the film "Shine", although musically there is no similarity other then the instrument is a piano, you'll be enthralled listening to Keith Jarrett.
on 3 January 2003
I haven't listened to huge volumes of Keith Jarrett, but I have heard the Koln concert several times and I am very inspired by his 'Rarum' collection. So compared to these albums this to me is very weak. It seemed laboured...over embellished at points...and creating kind of a faux Bach sound which I find almost embarrassing. On first hearing I was convinced it was a mistake to release this album and tarnish his reputation. I still haven't really warmed to it.
It won't stop me seeking out other Jarrett albums though. Even great artists have peaks and troughs sometimes.