Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 April 2014
This album is far from "the worst album of all time" as the clowns at Q Magazine put it. Thank You is by no means perfect, as it contains a few shoddy tracks and the order of songs is generally incohesive. However, one would be foolish to judge this album too hastily. On the whole, Duran Duran have managed to take the songs which have influenced them, beef them up and restyle them in their personal interpretations, however bizarre they may seem. The result is a mixed bag, but when the band score high, they really score high indeed.

White Lines - Gets the album off to a rip-roaring start and while it does not represent the album's overall style, it is a fantastic opening track.
I Wanna Take You Higher - Another lively rocker but nothing too significant.
Perfect Day - Lou Reed himself said this was the best cover of any of his songs, and I concur. This is a beautiful rendition of the song and unabashedly the zenith of Thank You.
Watching The Detectives - A reggae-like Elvis Costello cover, this is another strong track: haunting and rousing at the same time.
Lay Lady Lay - This song is lovely and dreamy, but is overall nothing special in my opinion.
911 Is A Joke - That one infamous track which critics are quick to expose when condemning the album. I was turned off by Simon's slightly grating rapping at first, but after a few listens "911" grows into a funky number (pardon the pun). One wonders how Duran Duran were inspired by Public Enemy though...
Success - An awesome glammy barnstormer that harkens back to classic 70's rock. This is one of Thank You's better tracks, no doubt about it.
The Crystal Ship - Covering the Doors might have seemed a foolish move but they pulled it off well, and it is definitely a highlight; shame it's so short!
Ball Of Confusion - An absolute train wreck. Musically and lyrically it is all over the shop and unpleasantly noisy. Even "911" is more listenable than this abomination.
Thank You - Despite being the title track, this rendition of the Led Zeppelin song is rather nondescript and, beautiful as it is, drones on a tad too long.
Drive By - This is a re-interpretation of "The Chauffeur", making it the only non-cover song on the album. Mostly spoken word, its verbal themes wash over the mind and bring the album to a charming close (if it wasn't for the disappointing next track).
I Wanna Take You Higher Again - A reprise of Track 2 which is virtually pointless, as it adds little else that wasn't done last time round.

All in all, Thank You is not without flaws, but the criticism it has received in the past has been exceedingly harsh. I can guarantee that there is a lot more enjoyment to be gained from this album than is made out to be. I wouldn't recommend it to non-Duran fans (in which case, Rio is definitely for you), but casual and dedicated fans shouldn't hesitate to try it.
on 27 September 2010
Duran Duran's covers are generally well thought out and intriguing. I have the originals of all the songs on "Thank You" and love many of them. In my opinion the "Thank You" versions are occasionally an improvement (White Lines, Watching The Detectives), occasionally great fun (I Wanna Take You Higher, Ball Of Confusion) and occasionally merely competent (Success, Crystal Ship). The exception is 911 Is A Joke. I agree that Duran Duran's version was wildly misconceived and it is not surprising that this song is often cited when critics pan the broader album. However, it would be remiss not to recognise the band's bravery in attempting a song that few would. It is also lazy to pick this one example and ignore some of the excellent work elsewhere on the album.

I believe the critical response to "Thank You" was dictated by two factors. Firstly the general antagonism towards the band - the music press hates a band that succeeds on their own terms without being championed by one high profile writer or another. Secondly the quality of the songs chosen. To some, Dylan, Public Enemy and Sly will always be untouchable. That is sad, because on this occasion it closes the ears to some excellent interpretations of wonderful songs.
on 6 July 2017
Listened to this for years and I think it's a bit harsh to say it's the worst record . Some interesting work and having heard many of the originals I think the production was actually good . One or two weak tracks but who's not guilty of that ?
on 19 October 2006
Duran Duran described this album as 'commercial' suicide after the success of the Wedding Album. They underestimated the vehemence of the critics and probably would have been better off to try something like this another time. Seems to me that when a band like Duran attempt a cover the reaction to it seems to be 'how dare they?' even when someone like Lou Reed described Duran's version of Perfect Day as the 'best ever' cover of one of his songs. For Q magazine to describe it as the worst album of all time is harsh as I can think of many far worse albums (William Shatner wins hands down), the choice says more about Q than about the album itself. The song choice was brave: sometimes they pull it off well as in Watching The Detectives and Perfect Day, sometimes it grates a little, I'm thinking mainly of Lay Lady Lay which is one of my favourite songs and one of those I consider 'untouchable' by anybody - but at least they strive to stay true to the original and are paying homage to their heroes rather than just lazily covering songs for the money like Westlife do. I think in time this album might garner a less harsh reaction but for now it sits uncomfortably in DD's back catalogue. Give it a try if you are open-minded, otherwise forget it.
on 23 September 2005
The first time heard this, I tended to agree with the more negative comments here.
But when I got "Watching the Detectives", I was blown away.
This has got to be one of the coolest cover versions ever.
On subsequent listens, the rest of the album began to grow on me.
"911 is a Joke" is much better now than the first time I heard it. I give this album 4 stars plus an extra star for WTD
Give this second or third airing, I'm sure you will be suprised.
on 14 December 2001
There's nothing I hate more than a cover version that detracts from the original, which is why I like this album so much! I enjoyed the way in which Duran Duran retained the feel, tempo (within reason) and integrity of the original tracks while adding their own sound to them. "The Crystal Ship" is one of my all-time favourite Doors tracks, and I was concerned about how Duran Duran would portray it but, in my view, they did a fantastic job of it. Other tracks I was particulary impressed with were "Watching The Detectives" and "White Lines". "Drive by", Duran Duran's reworking of "The Chauffeur" from Rio is distinctive and well worth a listen. It was very brave of Duran Duran to pursue a project such as this, but well worth it in the end. Very few cover versions excite me, but almost all the tracks on this album do (along with "Born To Run" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood!)
on 14 February 2004
I must admit I had reservations as I don't usually like remakes of good songs, but I was pleasantly surprised. Simon's fantastic vocal range is utilised perfectly! He and the boys sound like they're having fun. Something all the critics have forgotten to do!!! After all, it is a TRIBUTE album!- And a very worthy one too!! My faves are Watching The Detectives and Crystal Ship.
on 1 March 2001
This album is without doubt the most underated in Duran's history. A collection of cover versions and a new take on The Chauffeur it does however bear up to repeated listening. In particular, the versions of Elvis Costello's 'Watching The Detectives' and 'White Lines' by Melle Mel (featuring Melle Mel himself) are quite inspired. A strong set and a cohesive album. A must for any Duran fan.
on 27 April 2012
During the nineties Duran Duran just werent the same as they were in the eighties. The songs werent as catchy and without the original five members just werent the same. But i still love all of their albums that were released in the nineties especially this one. Many say it was a suicidal thing do to but what an album it turned out to be. Songs that stand out on this album are; White Lines, Perfect day, Watching the detectives, Lay lady lay, Success, Crystal ship and Ball of confusion. I would recommend this album to any fan of Duran Duran.
on 18 March 2010
Despite being classed as the "Worst Album Ever" in 2006 by Q magazine, this isn't all bad. Yes 911 is a joke is definitely a joke and Ball Of Confusion is mis-guided, the album as a whole is not bad. The whole point of it was to experiment with new sounds on old songs in preparation for their following album, Medazzaland, their most experimental album.
I listened to this fist-time round not having heard the originals and therefore have more objectivity than those who know the orinals.
Best tracks are:

Watching The Detectives (exceptional cover of this Elvis Costelloe song)
Lay Lady Lay
Perfect Day
Drive By

Like I said, not as bad as some say (what about Oasis's Be Here Now?)so give it a chance or at least download Watching The Detectives