Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

This collection contains a few of Tammy's own songs, together with a selection of covers of other people's songs, all delivered in Tammy's distinctive style.
So here you get some of the classic songs that Tammy recorded in the sixties -Apartment number nine, Your good girl's gonna go bad, D-I-V-O-R-C-E, I don't wanna play house, Stand by your man and The ways to love a man. These were among the songs that made Tammy a major country star in America in the late sixties, though it was not until 1975 that Tammy had a UK hit. Somewhat belatedly, Stand by your man became a number one UK pop hit and was followed up the charts by D-I-V-O-R-C-E (number twelve), I don't wanna play house (a minor hit).
Of the other songs here, Another lonely song is one of Tammy's country hits from the seventies but all the remaining songs are covers. Sometimes when we touch, a duet with Mark Gray, became a country hit for Tammy and Mark in the mid-eighties. The original version (by Dan Hill) had been an international hit in 1978.
The covers include There goes my everything, Ode to Billy Joe, No charge, Honey, Crying in the chapel, Help me make it through the night, Hey good looking and Crying in the rain, all of which are well-known to Brits via other versions. Country fans will also recognize Funny face (Donna Fargo) and maybe also Please come to Boston (Dave Loggins).
This is a nice collection, but if you want to hear Tammy singing her own classics, you will get many more of them on other compilations.
'Tammy Wynette' was born 'Virginia Wynette Pugh' in 'Luka' Mississippi 1942
'Tammy' was a Country-Artist who's recording career started out back in 1966, by 1967 she achieved her first of 19
U.S Country Chart number 1's this being - 'I Don' Want To Play House'
Here in the U.K however she did only figure in the Charts on three occasions the first of which was the memorable
'Stand By Your Man' it reached the Top-Spot, the same year she had a number '12' hit with 'D.I.V.O.R,C.E' followed
in 76' with her 1967 U.S Hit - 'I Don't Want To Play House' which charted at '37'
Among the well known songs also included on-board her versions of the 70's weepy's 'No Charge' and 'Honey' along
with - 'Ode To Billy Joe' 'Crying In Te Chapel' 'Help Me Make It Through The Night' and 'Crying In The Rain'
This a great reflection of 'The Lady's' style and her U.K Hits.
Sadly aged just 55 after years of illness she passed away in April 1998
Great recording
on 8 January 2017
Good
on 19 October 2010
Apart from the definative collection, this is the best Tammy Wynette cd about today. It has nearly all of her greatest hits, apart from the KLF collaboration on "Justified & Ancient" and it really is an excellent cd. It has "Apartment No. 9" "Stand by your man" "I don't want to play house" "No charge" "Your good girl is gonna go bad" "Help me make it through the night" and unfortunately "Divorce" It has a number of other well known covers but all of which are superior to "Divorce" the only real dud in an otherwise very good cd. If you like Tammy's voice, then this is a very solid cd of very good songs, performed by a great country singer, and with an eighteen track song list at the prices it is available on Amazon, you would be hard beat to better this item. I have no hesitation in recommending this cd, and if your a "Tammy" fan this cd is probably in your collection. Yours, Mrs. M Walsh. "Maw".
on 14 June 2013
Most of her best songs were on here though one or two I remember from an album my mum had when I was kid were not on there so I was only a taj disappointed but generally good album, worth buying.
on 14 August 2014
I am pleased with this cd because it has got all her greatest hits on it including D-I-V-O-R-C-E, Stand By Your Man and also my all time favourite Your Good Girls Gonna Go Bad. I was really pleased with the price of the cd.
A Christmas present for my Mum from my son. Super fast delivery and an excellent price. When my son gave his nanny this cd and her other presents for Christmas she was oer the moon when she opened this .