Customer reviews

on 31 January 2017
I was working for HMV in London when this was released. To put it in context, from 1989-1991 i was a HUGE indie fan. Which meant indie labels. A huge amount of teenage snobbery surrounding that, and lots of huge baggy tshirts with floppy hair. We loved Mega City 4, Sensless Things, Snuff, Jesus Jones, Sink - lots of these bands were on the Decoy or Food label which were wonderful companies that put lots of effort into the product they made.
So when God Fodder came out - along with Jesus Jones' Doubt, it felt a bit like AAARGH sell out! Major labels were interested. Charts were entered. They got hold of Sensless Things and Neds, and for us grebos, ruined them.
However listening to this album now its really not that bad, at the time I hated the HUGE almost 80s style production, compared with the two earlier singles (on the compilation Bite) - but its actually aged better than the early stuff. I guess I need to realize that I can never go back. But it was fun while it lasted.
Can i just raise a middle finger to the grebo mafia that used to create a big circle at gigs and if you tried to dance in their area you got a kicking.
on 15 February 2005
God Fodder is the pinnacle of the Ned's back catalouge. I had seen them live once and snapped up the albim on it's release in 1991. I wasn't disappointed. The album conveyed the live enthusiasm and youthfulness of a band at the top of their game.
The Ned's toured constantly in 90/91 and this came across in their tight playing. However this exposure meant higher profile tours with bands like Jesus Jones, who in my opinion, influenced the Ned's so much with their sound they would eventually start losing their fanbase as the songs seemed to slow down and loose their punky edge.
That said, God Fodder is probably the most listened to album in my record collection as it has a perfect balance of punk & pop and holds many fond memories from my years spent as a teenager with too many band shirts, an appetite for consuming too much cider and trying too hard to get girls to like me.
All the songs are ace but my favourites are Less Than Useful, Happy, Nothing Like, Capital Letters and What Gives My Son. If you get the chance go see'em live at their re-union gigs, they play all the best songs i.e. pretty much ALL of God Fodder!!
on 2 February 2011
Not in the habit of giving many albums 5 stars but can't fault this for energy and sheer exuberance. Listen to this regularly and it never fails to impress. Teenage angst bottled up and spread thickly across the whole album...delicious. The NEDS managed to make growing up this cool when the rest of us just hid and picked zits in private. GOD bless you boys xx
on 10 May 2014
The NEDs' first album is my favourite of their's, and I do tend to be a fan of bands' first albums. This captures the energy of the group's live shows, the novelty of two bass players, and is very much a sound of its time. Lots of teen angst and attitude. I keep this in the collection for my memories of my youth, but a new listener would probably skip over it save for Happy and Kill Your Television.
on 30 July 2015
This was a great album when it first came out, it still holds up today! I bought it again recently out of nostalgia and am really glad I did too! Classics like this always take me back to my teenage years... Perfect for 40 something indie kids!!
on 25 May 2015
Probably my favourite album ever! Love every track on this album and can listen to it again and again. This band should have been bigger, and this album was by far their best!
on 7 January 2016
great riffs and fast grooves...no one can't stop them!
someone stole their idea in the USA, and gained big cash with a more mainstrem sound..
on 5 September 2013
Fantastic guitar thrashing indie music, great vocals and non stop noise from first to last . If you haven't tried Neds you must
on 16 February 2014
Bought this on the fly to remind me of good times past - as good as I remember. CD arrived well packeged and in good time.
on 29 January 2017
Love this album I'd forgotten all about them but it still sounds absolutely amazing!!!