Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change

I love Christmas music, often pulling it out to listen to mid-year. And you'll never catch me listening to anything but Christmas music from Thanksgiving to Christmas. That's why I'm a little ashamed to admit to only just now getting this classic collection.
What I've been missing all these years is a truly wonderful CD. Bing has a rich, strong voice that is pleasing to listen to. The arrangements feel dated, but that's part of the charm. It feels like an old friend from the very first listen.
My only real complaint (and a minor one at that) is the pacing of the album. The first six tracks are all slower numbers. They do include a great version of "Silent Night," and Bing's classic recording of "White Christmas," so I do enjoy listening to them. Still, by "I'll be Home for Christmas," I'm ready for an upbeat track.
Fortunately, the second half doesn't disappoint in that regard. "Jingle Bells" and "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town," both sung with the Andrews Sisters, kick things up a notch or two. Both are fairly familiar arrangements with just enough newness to set them apart from the other versions you already have.
The CD ends with the songs I was unfamiliar with. "Christmas in Killarney" is a fanciful description of the holiday in Ireland, while "Mele Kalikimaka" wishes us a Merry Christmas from Hawaii. Both songs sound a little like the land they represent and are a fun way to end the CD.
The recordings here are old, as shown by the occasional scratchy background noise, especially noticeable on "Adeste Fideles." But it doesn't affect my enjoyment one bit. My only regret is not getting this great CD sooner.
on 28 December 2001
If you are looking for a christmas cd that oozes christmas appeal then this is the one for you. Bing crosby and co sing the most wonderful festive songs that will have you humming all day long. Bing's voice calms and soothes those nerves frayed by christmas shopping and sends thoughts back to childhood times. We had this album when I was little and I sought it out once more to play to my children who now love it as much as I do.Its a must for all those you earn for an old fashioned christmas.
on 9 December 2009
My nan bought me this album on vinyl over 25 years ago. It got played everyday from the start of December until january. can`t listen to christmas music after that, doesn`t feel right. 5 years ago i bought it on cd because my record player broke. Its the perfect Christmas album but i do miss listening to it on vinyl. That crackling sound adds to it for me. i can`t recommend this album enough.
on 12 January 2013
Love this CD. This has been my soundtrack of Christmas since I was a child, my mother has it on vinyl. I tried may times to get it but it was never the same version. This is the exact same one I grew up listening too and I played it on Christmas morning to my children.
on 8 December 2014
We watch this every Christmas because certain family members see it as a tradition.
I sit in the middle in the lounge and just this, this is one of the US classics and it's very good.
on 11 March 2013
We had this on music cassette tape from 1978 and our player had long broken so was delighted to find this on CD sound is just as good as it was on the older version!
on 13 February 2013
What can one say?
Oh, 16 more words are required. OK it's Bing, he was blinkin' fantastic, this is an all time classic. What more needs to be said?
on 28 March 2016
bought solely for the last track. bowie & bings` rendition of little drummer boy. why pay £60 for the bowie single cd when its available here for pennies. go figure! thewizardfromaus
on 2 March 2013
No christmas is complete without a Bing Crosby song. Went well with and complimented my yuletide collection good easy listening.
on 6 May 2014
Love it! Another American Christmas classic. We listen to this every year, and always, always enjoy it, and love to sing along! Who doesn't like Bing?