Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 November 2014
Amazon have withdrawn this reissue as there is a mastering fault on the disc. Track 8 has all of “Rawhead and Bloodybones” and then the first three seconds of “The Last Beat of My Heart”, followed by nine seconds of silence. Then Track 9 starts with the last six seconds of the fadeout from “Rawhead” before going into “Last Beat”. The album is being repressed and Amazon should have the corrected stock in the next three to four weeks.
77 Comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 November 2014
This "remastered" reissue of the 1988 album Peepshow by Siouxsie and the Banshees definitely has some faults. There is a surprising mastering glitch that was not detected until a fan posted it on Facebook. A corrected CD is being pressed and is said to be available by mid/late November 2014. Any stock purchased prior to that date, and likely a bit after that, will have the mastering fault. And now you, the lucky buyer, has to contact the place you purchased it from, explain the situation and hope the replacement they send you will in fact be the repaired copy. Or you can do what a number of Banshees cyberdrones have stated on the Facebook page: "Just keep the defective CD as a collector's item and buy another copy to support the band!" Sure, everyone should send a message that not only are blatant mastering faults acceptable, but that the record label will actually profit. More attention should have definitely been paid prior to the CD master being approved. The problem is as follows: Track 8 'Rawhead and Bloodybones' ends as it should, but then the next song 'The Last Beat of My Heart' starts for a few seconds, then stops. This is followed by nearly 10 seconds of dead air before the CD actually changes to track 9. But wait, it gets better. About a second into track 9 you hear the "engineer" switch on the tape machine (indicated by the slow to fast whir) playing the last 7 seconds of track 8 again before 'The Last Beat of My Heart' actually starts. This is not a "minor" glitch (as Severin has stated in the official announcement regarding the issue), but an error of about 20 seconds in length stretched across 2 different songs that should have been spotted a mile away. It seems that perhaps no one actually listened to the actual CD remaster before Universal sent it to be pressed. Steven Severin advertises that he oversees all of the Banshees products from start to finish, so he definitely should have caught this prior to production.

As for other problems with the CD mastering, they have all been remastered by Kevin Metcalfe, as with the last batch 5 years ago, so they all have what I feel are similar shortcomings. All have had the volume brickwalled to some degree, squashing out a good portion of the original dynamic range. The majority of the tracks across all CD's have somewhat of a muddy sound to them due to lower fidelity than the original CD's, while the middle section has been beefed up a bit. Regarding the skimpy bonus tracks, Severin states that Siouxsie preferred to have the 12" mix of 'The Killing Jar' rather than 'Peek-A-Boo', and they both wanted to include the live version of 'The Last Beat of My Heart', even though both tracks are readily available. When one fan asked about why these were included in favor of unavailable mixes, Severin stated those releases will be out of print someday and this ensures those versions stay in print. That doesn't really answer the question. Not to mention that this CD clocks in at 62 minutes so that leaves at least 18 minutes of unused space. Severin alludes to a possible future release that may include some of the currently unavailable mixes, though with this obviously costly repress of Peepshow, I wouldn't doubt that could possibly put future releases in jeopardy.

Peepshow is a good album but has the unfortunate problem of being the Banshees' most dated sounding album. It screams late 1980's production, whether it's the way the drums were mixed or some of the sorely dated keyboard sounds, namely the quivery electric piano in the song 'Scarecrow' or the pre-programmed percussive sounds in 'Ornaments of Gold'. Peepshow was the first Banshees album released after I first got into the band in 1987 and I purchased it on the day of release in 1988. I already had the 'Peek-A-Boo' 12" single because I really liked the band, though I just didn't like this song at all. Try as I might, I just thought it was a terrible hodgepodge which had no sort of hook to it. All these years later, it's one of the band's few songs that makes me cringe. 'The Killing Jar' was released as the second single and was much better, though still fairly mediocre. The song received no promotion in the U.S. and Geffen did not provide the music video to MTV for promotion. I just saw the 12" single new in the shops one day and bought it. The single remix of the song was a vast improvement, and the 12" mix is nice as well. The album version is more subtle. 'Scarecrow' was my favorite song at the time and I still like it, though perhaps not as much. I thought it had a great hook at the chorus. But the song that has been a long time standout is the eerie 'Carousel', with its keyboard and vocal based structure before Budgie comes in to give it a strong finale. 'Burn Up' is nothing you would have ever expected from the Banshees. It's a Country song with a hoe-down stomp and harmonica. I really liked it at the time but it's not aged so well.

Peepshow didn't seem to have much in the way of potential singles on it, though one that comes close is the pleasantly adequate 'Ornaments of Gold'. 'Turn to Stone' is a song that I never liked and I still can't tolerate it. 'Rawhead and Bloodybones' is like a very brief twisted fairy tale built around some bizarre circus-like keyboard sounds. 'The Last Beat of My Heart' is a very pleasant ballad with little more than a very sweet vocal performance and some delicate drumming and keyboards steadily intensifying until the song ends. It's a very nice song but I can understand why if failed as a single. The album highlight is by far the epic 'Rhapsody'. It starts very soft and subtle and builds to an explosive climax. Siouxsie hits some startling operatic highs in this, the album's masterpiece.

So while Peepshow is still a good album with some essential tracks, it has not stood the test to time all that well and is in my personal bottom tier of Banshees albums. The band does not return until 1991 with their album Superstition; an album that a lot of fans think has dated poorly, though I don't think quite as much as Peepshow.
on 2 November 2014
I Love this album and mostly impressed with the reissue, but there is a glitch on the disc in the transition between tracks 8 and 9 – SATB official has acknowledged the error and says they will repress disc to ship in a month... Will Amazon replace those already shipped? Will find out...
22 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 January 2002
This is the album that converted me to S&TB many years ago. I loved the sinister thread running through the tracks, particularly "Carousel" & "Rhapsody". If you are already a fan of Siouxsie, this album may be a little too commercial for your tastes. Then again, it shows a smooth move towards the slinkier side of their music. Personally, I love it and find it very atmospheric - and it was good enough to make me go and buy their previous albums too!
11 Comment| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 November 2014
Kiss the person who remasted this for me - this is a brilliant re-working of this album. An absolute must! I love it!
on 2 March 2015
I loved all the Banshees remasters. When I found out years ago that they couldn't get funding to remaster the last 4 albums I was crushed. So when somehow it really happened, nothing could have stopped me from getting them. As hoped, this is an immaculate conception of music. Few albums in my opinion have ever come remotely close to the power and imagery of Peepshow, nor do I think many ever will. This should be in every person's music collection, period. For me personally, if an album had ever been touched by the divine, this one is it. I can rest easy now that I finally have what I would suspect is the definitive version of said album. Thank you S&TB for touching my soul with your work. You will always be remembered fondly.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICETOP 50 REVIEWERon 10 December 2011
To my eternal shame I was very reluctant to give this album and the band the time of day; my irrational prejudices were such that a friend took pity on me and showed me the errors of my way!

This person not only got me tickets to the Peepshow concert, but also bought me copy of the album. From the first track I was blown away, each subsequent track was a gem;

I believe it to be one of their more complex albums, and probably one of their most successful. Critics such as Q magazine wrote in its five-star review: "Peepshow takes place in some distorted fairground of the mind where weird and wonderful shapes loom." Most the music press, by and large, loved the album; NME said of it that the band had moved from Rock to Pop

I loved the `lilting reggae feel to the beginning of "Killing Jar", the only instruments were the guitar and a keyboard bass, coupled to this was Siouxsies' great voice. There was the majestic ballad of "The Last Beat of My heart". There are the more familiar, if not apprehensive feel to the rock music in "Scarecrow" and "Burn-Up. My favourite if I had to choose would be "Peek-a-Boo", I believe Melody Maker, best summed it up by saying "Peek-a-Boo" `highly acclaimed' and called it "quite the most astounding British record" of 1988, and "a brightly unexpected mixture of black steel and pop disturbance'

A real classic album and a real must in anyone's music collection and hence my five stars.
VINE VOICEon 1 April 2012
Siouxsie & The Banshees went over the top of my head rather, through the years I was heavily into chart music - perhaps with the exception of their biggest hit: 'Dear Prudence' which peaked at number three back in 1983, and then showed no more interest until 'Kiss Them For Me' (my favourite) not doing so well in the early 90s. However; over the years my tastes have broadened and so thought I'd give this band a go and was pleasantly surprised when I purchased this: 'Peepshow'.

Considering it did not contain any major hits I was familiar with, I thoroughly enjoyed this album! It's a great collection! There are some really beautiful songs with some very interesting lyrics. I find the album best listened to at a lower volume when using headphones. (which is how I listen to most of my music these days)

This has been my first ever CD purchase by this group - but it certainly won't be the last! I am already keenly looking at their back catalogue!

on 2 October 2015
Not the Banshees finest hour.....I still think their debut is their classiest offering. Join Hands, Kaleidoscope and Juju are also great but I think this is a slightly less energetic album and a bit complacent.
There are still some great and innovative songs however such as the quite unsettling title track.
Definitely worth adding to your Banshees collection, but I,d get The Scream and the other aforementioned works first.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 10 June 2012
There isn't a Banshee record that I have heard yet that I haven't been hooked on, and of all of them, Peepshow rates as one of the most enduring. It is the record that the band deem their personal best, and there aren't far wrong in that. It might come as a bit of a shock to fans familiar with the early albums, especially songs such as Peek-A-Boo, a clear, mainstream hit in its time, but it is far from a sell out in my opinion.

Not all of the songs on hear are aimed at mainstream, particularly Rawhead and Bloodybones, a particularly creepy number and the operatic finale, Rhapsody. Siouxsie's voice truly has never been finer. She can retain her initial fireocity on some tracks, Turn-to-stone, but she has grown more delicate also, demonstrated as she sings the beautiful lyrics of Last Beat of My Heart.

The band have come a long way since the days of punk, and it is such a shame that they would never reach this height again, although the final album The Rapture, isn't far off.