Customer reviews

Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 May 2017
Good service Great album.
on 5 August 2017
Ace
on 23 June 2017
Great CD from Brian Eno...
on 9 July 2017
My son loves this music and so do I. Such atmosphere.
on 12 October 2017
Happy with Apollo
on 5 June 2001
Everybody must of heard at least one track from this album, the beutiful track 'An Ending(Ascent)' has been used for the soundtrack of the televised N.S.P.C.C appeal advertisment for the last couple of years. It must be one of the most beutiful pieces of electronic music ever written and never fails to send shivers down my spine. And they say that Synthesiser music has no emotion,nonsense.I first heard this track and other numbers from this C.D. in a film on Sky called 'For all Mankind' an epic documentury about NASA's moonlandings and 'An Ending' has featured on many advertisments and programmes Space and non Space related ever since. There are other realy good tracks on this C.D.too.Silver Morning,Deep Blue Day,Weightless and Always returning where Brian Collaborates with old chum Daniel Laonis(the two went on to produce U2's Joshua Tree together)and brother Roger also stick out in my mind. And the other experemental pieces are very imaginative and very Eno. So if you have been ummming and arrring and wondering where that beutiful music on the N.S.P.C.C.advert is from thn this is the album. But remember to make a donation to the appeal too, it's a good cause.A nice album
VINE VOICEon 17 May 2004
This is one of Eno's best ambient works. Originally scored for a film of the Apollo mission the record consists of 'atmosphere' tracks such as 'Under Stars' and more structured pieces of music which have country influences (using steel guitar) to reflect the astronauts choice of listening material taken with them on some of the missions.
You will probably recognise some of the tracks as they tend to crop up on several film scores as well as documentaries and adverts. 'Ascent (an ending)' was recently used by the NSPCC for a fund raising campaign.
The record is rewarding listening being both relaxing and also rather unsettling at times such as in the track 'matta' where the proximity to death and risk comes through the music. It does accomplish it's task of reflecting the vastness of space in contrast to the humble backgrounds of many of the participants very well.
Being a film soundtrack this is not a seamless ambient experience but as a soundtrack which doesn't age and you will return to again and again you can't go much wrong!
on 20 February 2011
Perhaps I have this all wrong, but when reading the many reviews of this album on Amazon I feel as though people feel they have to justufy theit choice in some way. Look at how many start with "I bought this because...." or variations of that phrase. And then go on to read those that talk a bout being "transported to another plane (sic)".

As a fan of this music I don't fele there has to be a reason for my viewpoint other than the fact that it's good music (well, to ME anyway). Does it transport me? No, not really. Do I play it so it goes on the background while I do things? Sometimes, but not always. Do I sometimes put it on simply to listen to it? Yes, often.

I won't even ue the "Amb..." word, because that term has long been highjacked by works that don't have half the beauty of this one.

I recommend this CD because the music is evocative - but of what... well, that's up to you. Of course we all know it's connected with the Apollo missions, but to be honest that's never in my mind while playing it. I tend to build my own relationship with the sounds, and I can assure you this works well away from it's stated intentions.

Minimalism was in full flow by the time this music was made. Synthesizers were relatively new, and Eno was cutting new territory with these sedate, thoughtful pieces. However, it's fascinating to experence how you interact with them, they set a tone. As someone else noted, there are moments of joy, exuburation, beauty and fear. But then this is a suite of music about the unknown, and it has to contain all these things.

But I need no excuse for liking it. And for those that find it "boring" because nothing much is going on.... well, minimalism isn't really for them, so that's fair enough. This music needs time, and it needs you to sit still and actually listen (which is contrary to what you'd expect, because the stripped down nature of the compositions suggest there isn't enough going on to hold interest).

Apart from anything else this CD has a place in the history of the development of western music - so quit dreaming, and get on the beam.
on 20 February 2013
An unearthly, mysterious, sublime, desolate and uncanny creation. The highlight is "An Ending (Ascent)", which has been used many times in various places; if you don't know it I think you'll recognise it when you hear it. All in all I'm not a big fan of the ambient genre, I usually require something more robust and varied, though having said that, Apollo by Eno is a distinctive work brimming with a euphony of mesmeric tones and tunes.
on 10 December 2011
I bought this album as I was going to a live performance of the album to accompany a showing of the documentary about the Apollo moon missions it was originally written as the soundtrack for. It was my first purchase of "ambient music" so I didn't really know what to expect.

The first four tracks are what you'd expect from this type of music, being quite low key and almost eerie and suitable background music. It comes as quite shock, then when I recognised Track 5 (An Ending- Ascent). I think I am familiar with it through use in advertising but I'm not quite sure. Its haunting notes certainly stay long in the memory.

Side 2 has a very different feel. Especially from Track 8 (Silver Morning) to Track 11(Always Returning) there is a lot of slide guitar, giving some of the tracks a country music feel to them. I think Eno said that used this instrument in recognition of the Southern and Mid Western background of many of the astronauts on the Apollo missions. These tracks sound very different to earlier "traditionally ambient" tracks, which enhances the album in my opinion.

The last track (Stars) is a return to the ambient music style of the first few tracks and is used in the documentary over footage of the astronauts lifting off from the moon and returning to earth.

A great album to get, if, like me, you are an ambient music novice, though you will certainly apreciate it more after a few listens.