Format: Audio CD|Change

There are two versions of this CD set.
The older one with 32 tracks and this one with two extra tracks making 34.

The two extra bonus tracks are
Running On Empty by Jackson Browne and
Go Your Own Way by Fleetwood Mac.

The strange thing is that this collector's edition with the two extra tracks is often cheaper than the original release with 32.
As it's not clear which tracks are on the CDs I thought this list would help.
If you spot any mistakes or typos just add a comment.
All spellings are the American versions.

There is some cracking good tracks and for once the soundtrack was an integral part of the movie that helped you put the events in historical order- a really neat trick that gave us some wonderful music.

1.Hound Dog-Elvis Presley

16. On The Road Again-Willie Nelson
17. Against The Wind-Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
18. Forrest Gump Suite-Alan Silvestri
on 9 October 2000
The soundtrack of Forrest Gump certainly lives up to the reputation of the fantastic film which is also blessed with several Oscars. All the classic rock from the 1950s through the hippy 70s and on to the 80s is brought to life through a dual-cd album also featuring the soundtrack to the movie. Truly the greatest collection of songs ever to be burned onto the shiny discs. A must buy for the fans of every type of music!
on 25 April 2003
What a brilliant Album!! Not only do we get all the songs from one of the best films of the 20th Century, but we also get extra bonus tracks too.
I love the mix of fast, slow and the sublime. It is my absolute favourite "Getting Ready" album as I can sing into my hairbrush as loud as I like and dance around to all the girly favs too.
I would strongly recommend this album to anyone who would like to have a variety of music from the 60's that isn't the same as on every other 60's compilation album.
on 25 April 2003
on 2 May 2012
Although my review doesn't cover the two extra tracks put on the 2001 special edition, I think this first release of the Forrest Gump soundtrack is just a marvel to listen to. As the movie for which it was used follows the life of, as stated in the album's leaflet, "A simple man's journey through complicated times", this soundtrack covers American songs going from the fifties (Hound Dog, Rebel Rouser) till 1980 (On the Road Again, Against the Wind). Therefore, listening to this album is almost like getting to live or relive those time periods, along with the incidents that have had a major impact on our lives and our world. As such, the nostalgia in this soundtrack is as heart-wrenching as the movie it was made for.

Though I have loved all of the music tracks, I'd say my favorites are "Blowin in the Wind", "I Can't Help Myself", "What the World Needs Now is Love", "Stoned Love", "Mrs. Robinson" and "Turn!Turn! Turn!". As for the music composed by Alan Silvestri, the producers of this album also offer us the "Forrest Gump Suite" as a final treat. However I still wish they could have included the song "Freebird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd, which was used for that powerful scene when Jenny (played by Robin Wright) is attempting a suicide by jumping off from a balcony. I always wonder why they didn't get to put that track. Maybe they had contractual reasons, or maybe they didn't had any more space to put the song on the album? Who knows? Then again, I still wish that they could put that song in a future edition.

Nevertheless, I think this soundtrack is a must for all the fans of the Forrest Gump movie, but also to anyone fond of American music done in the fifties, sixties, and seventies.
on 15 May 2013
Having caught Forrest Gump on telly recently, I loved hearing the music again and decided to buy the album.

There are some real classics from the 60s and 70s but I hadn't appreciated how many less well-known(and Iin my opinion 'less good') songs were on the album. I do find myself fast forwarding through certain songs if I'm honest.

A good buy overall but not the absolute classic I was expecting. Look at the song list carefully before deciding whether it's for you.
on 23 October 2003
If you love classic american rock and hippie anthems you'll love this. It is a really good selection of songs that are guaranteed to put a smile on your face. I would say, however, that the inclusion of the extra tracks makes no impact upon the quality of the CD as they are possibly the worst songs on there. There really are some classics though - Sweet Home Alabama being one of them!
I was compelled to purchase the 1994, 32 track, double disc set of this superb soundtrack recently to replace a previous copy which seems to have disappeared into the ether. Or, I suppose a somewhat less Fortean explanation might just be that it has been pilfered by someone with excellent taste in music. That copy itself had been purchased to replace the one that my ex-wife managed to wrestle from me and then secrete in a place of safety during our divorce (it may well still be living there deep down in her cleavage - I don't know anyone who might be brave enough to try to find out). And even THAT copy was a replacement for one that was leant to a friend and came back to me looking like Freddy Krueger had been tracing out his autograph on both discs of it.

What I am trying to say is, I need to have this soundtrack within easy reach at all times.

I've never even seen the movie, but whoever chose the music it for it clearly knew what they were doing. Actually, from the number of tracks that are asterisked as 'CD Bonus Tracks', my favourite tunes don't appear to have featured in the film anyway. 'Joy To The World' is, without question, my absolute favourite song on here. Or perhaps 'Walk Right In'.

Then again, would I be risking the wrath of Aretha Franklin by not affording her brilliance the 'Respect' it deserves...? I like the sound of her music but I don't much like the sound of that.
on 7 July 2013
Looked at the list of tunes played and as it was cheap bought the CD. All tracks are by American bands and I thought the first CD was better than the 2nd CD. It was a good price and well worth the money.
on 13 April 2013
The CD arrived on time.in excellent condition.I have only played it once but it is full of songs i am familiar with.I bought it simply for some songs I have always liked but never owned,now i do,so am happy with it.