Format: Audio CD|Change

on 26 May 2006
This is one of the best children's CDs I have bought. Both my 6 year old boy and 3 year old girl love the songs, which are beautifully sung and arranged and fun to sing along to. The ballad of the mice searching for the stinky, revolting stilton cheese and washing it off in orange squash is a particular highlight that I had forgotten. We've passed many happy hours in the car with this one and still like it. Really good quality family entertainment. Enjoy!
on 1 May 2010
We watched Bagpuss as children and really wanted to share him with our American and Canadian daughters aged 3 and 5. They like the DVD we have but they really enjoy singing the songs on this CD. The music is amazing and the words are so clever - you really notice when you listen as opposed to watch. Old, traditional songs and those specifically written for the series are both done so well and the CD is so clear - even Madelaine's warble is easy to understand. My husband is learning to play the songs on guitar, bass, and mandolin. It is really enjoyable to hear our children singing these songs - when the alternative (.e. what many of their friends sing) are foul-mouthed rap songs and jingles from TV commercials. Nostalgia is alive and well in our house.
on 4 November 1999
this is definately the re-issue of the year! a joy from start to finish - wether you are a folk fan, or just a nostalgic TV buff. the music is similar to the ace Wicker Man soundtrack; great celtic folk... a timely and well deserved release!
on 29 January 2015
as a piece of musical history you cannot fault this work. Sandra Kerr (mother of Nancy Kerr) and John Faulkner were there during the folk revival of the 60s and 70s and were well known in Folk music circles. This accompanying music to he Oliver Postgate classic really stands well on its own but along side snippets from the show it is truly magic. The mice, professor Yaffel and Bagpuss are on here too. trust me, you will not be disappointed
on 18 November 2012
What a wonderful CD this is. Folk music lovers out there, you need to buy this CD! I was searching for some decent children's music for our toddler, which we could also enjoy listening to, being tired of the poor quality of singing on most CD's of British children's songs. I also could not bear another journey having to listen to 'Nellie the Elephant' again and again. I came across this CD and the other reviews convinced me to get it. What a great leap forward that was! Our daughter absolutely loves it. She was so delighted to hear the mice and Madeleine the doll singing. But my husband and I love it too. The harmonies are wonderful and the instrumentals superb. Amazing that just 2 people can play so many instruments (accordian, bagpipes, fiddle, guitar,...). Sandra Kerr and John Faulkner are just oozing musicality. If you are choosing this for your child then I would advise you to show them a few episodes of Bagpuss first (see YouTube or get the DVD). This will ensure that they appreciate this CD to the full. My only gripe is that the version of "Ploughman ploughman, plough me a field" on this CD is not as nice as the original version, which you can hear on the DVD or on YouTube - the Mouse Mill episode). The best purchase I have made in years.
on 29 January 2001
This is an excellent CD, with the original songs from Bagpuss, bringing back all sorts of memories. A great CD for young and old.
on 18 January 2012
My daughter and I have spent hours watching Bagpuss, now we can listen to the songs in the car too! Cannot top 'the bony king of nowhere' and 'row row row your boat' (where the mice fall into stilton cheese and have to wash in orange squash to get 'stickily pretty as new'!) for songs which equally amuse and delight this almost 40 year old mum and her nearly 3 year old daughter... just love it!
on 13 August 2002
Those of us in our thirties ( and possibly late twenties!) will enjoy a nostalgic trip back to a time when children's TV was limited but always totally enjoyable! This CD is a wonderful memory jogger but much more 'folky' than I remember. You will love the mice singing without a doubt!
VINE VOICEon 23 September 2002
What was your favourite pudding when you were four years old? That's how good this CD is.
But Emily loved him...
on 2 June 2010
This is a great CD for lovers of the programmes (like my daughter). Good mix of songs from the shows with some excerpts from the spoken parts.

Highly recommended.