Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 December 2016
One word 'Genius'

Some people have a problem with 'electric Miles' albums as most will be fans of his 'A Kind of Blue' album myself included. However I felt that' this album was a masterclass in ensemble playing. The players on this album are Jazz heavyweights and they know how to play. Everyone is given their own space to explore and innovate and it's amazing how little you actually hear Miles. I'm listening to the vinyl album and as the needle hits the groove i sit back and hear the band warming up on Pharoahs Dance along with Miles raspy mutterings. That's all i to hear as the band take me on a ride that just doesn't give up with the funk layered electric Jazz. It's hard to believe this album is 47 years old, yes 47 years old and does it sound dated, not one bit. That is part of the genius of this album it is still relevant today as it was in 1969. A great album.
review image
on 24 July 2017
Was we put on this planet to write "verse, chorus, verse, chorus - guitar solo - verse, chorus and fade out" music? Miles Davis Bitches Brew will push the boundaries of your "musical mind". Because we've been brainwashed to accept "comfortable" melody and order in our music its not an easy listen at first, but if you can put all preconceived formulars of music aside and get in to it - it will never leave you, you will leave everything else behind and wonder what ever was you thinking of. Even the prog rock classics will sound amateurish and irrelevant after this.
on 3 July 2017
Really pleased with purchase. Prompt dispatch. Great selection of classic performances.
on 25 May 2017
Challenging piece of work..but well worth the effort....concentrate though....no distractions.!
on 23 March 2017
Still sounds fantastic after a few decades.
on 20 June 2017
brilliant
on 6 March 2013
This is one of the best album in the history of music...The 2 cd pack was brand new and sealed.It was delivered after only 2 work days. thumbs up!
on 9 September 2008
I'd be some kind of pretentious idiot if I tried to give any kind of in depth review of this album, so I'll keep it short. I have just come back to this particular album after a 23 year absence: it's incredible, quite incredible. The sound quality over my original vinyl copy is breathtaking and within minutes of hearing Pharoah's Dance, I am caught and off and running. Bitches Brew rewards the listener on so many levels;complexity, drive and sublime intelligence.

Columbia/Legacy are to be highly praised with the packaging; the sleeve notes are copious and very detailed

Hey, you know that Desert Island disc thing? Well, it'd be a toss up here between Bitches Brew and Trout Mask Replica.............

Finally, an open question: how come every time I listen to Miles Davis, it makes me want to cook for my friends?

Answers on a postcard to the usual address.............
on 20 April 2016
I am obviously missing something with this album. Over the years, I must have heard it ten, twenty, maybe more times than that. "It's Miles Davis' best album!" people tell me. I just don't get it! If you know the music, this package is great, go ahead and buy it. If you don't read on...
I have no idea how this music was made, but if I was set about making something similar, this is what I would do.
First take some brilliant musicians. You need quite a number of them. I think there are 3 keyboard players and two drummers. There are certainly two bass players and there's trumpet, saxophone and bass clarinet. Next take some LSD. Or at least, give it to the musicians. Next take some superglue and slightly mess up their instruments. Stick some keys down. Make them awkward to play. Finally seal each player inside a sound proof box so that they only have muffled vibrations to tell them what the others are playing.Now you are ready to record Pharaoh's Dance.
Ask they players to improvise a creepy atmosphere and then try to build it up into a groove.
What happens on the real Pharaoh's Dance is that it takes about 4 and half minutes before they manage to get some kind of rhythm going but, what with the sound-proofing and they instruments being all jammed up, they've lost it again by 7 minutes. They find another little thing about 9 minutes in but it lasts even less long. This goes on quite painfully till 18 minutes, at which point, the producer seems to have removed the sound proof boxes and the band manages to break into a tune. Then he hits the faders.
For Bitches Brew, the recipe seems somewhat simpler. Using the same jam session, wait until the band are really cooking and somebody has started to solo. The other players are all biding their time, filling in with plinks and plonks and the occasional little fill on bass or drums. Make sure this really cooking solo goes on for 20 minutes. Then destroy the track with the solo on it and release the backing tracks. It's a kind of negative print of a track. Interesting in a way, but you'll never get those twenty minutes back.
Spanish Key is actually quite a good track but it's never allowed to settle down and switches and changes slightly too much to be really kicking. Only Miles Runs the Voodoo Down (which is as good as anything miles ever recorded) really hits you at first listening.
As I say, I am probably missing something but if you want to know why people dig Miles' electric period, I wouldn't go here first. Try Tribute to Jack Johnson, On the Corner or Disc 1 of Live Evil for the real heavy s*** and then go onto early Miles (Kind of Blue, Sketches of Spain, Filles de Kilimanjaro) to get the jazzier side of things. After that, it may be worth trying to suss out this enigma. I'll certainly give it another 20 or so tries.
on 7 May 2017
I have probably listened to this album over 300 - 400 times, it is (without doubt) one of the greatest, monumentally glorious albums ever produced. Yes, Kind of Blue is the single greatest jazz album ever made (closely followed by Coltrane's These Are a Few of My Favourite Things) - but BB is a joy to listen to. Kids love it & listened to on a good pair of headphones it will take you places only music can.
Forget the philistines who claim it's 'unlistenable' or 'weird' - they not not what they say.
This is music / jazz at its most uninhibited. It's just glorious to listen to on a lush summer's day, with a cold beer & a good book.
If you don't like this - then (I'm sorry to say) you are a corpse...!
Buy & enjoy...I promise you that you'll 'get it'.