I have to admit I among a number of people who discovered Labi Siffre after hearing 'Something Inside So Strong' on a car advert, but I'm glad I did. His lyrics are simply phenomenal and the sincerity and passion in his voice make this an essential album. Don't let it pass you by like it did so many others.
on 12 November 2017
Great album, I must confess to buying the CD for the track 'So Strong' but there are a lot of other great tracks on there.
on 19 September 2017
Wonderful voice
It's been a few years and I always promised myself that I would find "So Strong". But tracks like "Listen to the voices" remind me that this guy has an excellent voice with great passion
on 3 March 2000
The lyrical content is perhaps some of the most profound poetry to be found in music. Siffre remains utterly convincing in his sincerity, for his passionate belief in equality for all, beyond single issue rhetoric. This album should be compulsory listening, or reading for all.
on 7 March 2000
Labi Siffre has always had the knack of matching beautiful music to telling and sincere words. Listen carefully to the lyrics and understand just where Siffre is coming from in is fight for equality. One of the most underated voices in popular music over the past 30 years he yet again proves that he should be up there with the greats. A wonderful CD that everybody should listen to.
on 15 February 2007
The greatest song ever written? It's either "Bridge Over Troubled Water" or "Something Inside So Strong". Labi Siffre's song just gets me, everytime. I want to cry - and I'm so not that kind of a person. Yet this one song just rips right through to the heart of what it means to be human. Check this lyric: "You hide behind walls of Jericho" - just think about it. What sense of a man can write like that? Perfection.
on 1 September 2001
Something inside so strong could so easily be the description applied to the contents of this CD.
With such intensity of emotion contained in the lyrics, anyone with a social conscience cannot but be moved by Labi Siffre's commentary on the injustices of life.
Something inside so strong stands out in particular as it seem to be written with his blood and tears. It deserves to be immortalised as the rallying cry of the repressed.
This though does not diminish the appeal of the other tracks. "Listen to the voices" and "Hard Road" reflect the pain of contemporary life in the various arenas of life while "I will always love you" demonstrates that against such a backdrop, redeeming human qualities do exist.
This is a purchase that I would never regret.
11 Comment| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 March 2017
Absolutely as promised.
on 18 September 2001
I have loved Labi,s work since the 70s, I have met him and served him, he is as genuine as his songs. He sings the truth unlike so many artists. No one can avoid being touched by his work and his honesty, and in real life he is no different,he and his misic are magic, nothing less.