Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 July 2006
The tragic death of influential drummer Jeff Porcaro leaves Toto as a four-piece of Mike Porcaro, Steve Lukather, David Paich and Englishman Simon Phillips. However, they return with an awesome album and even a UK top 75 hit (their first since 1983) with a classic building Lukather ballad 'I will remember'. This is easily the most accessible of Toto's 90s albums and I would recommend it as a good introduction to anyone who hasn't had the privilege of hearing their lesser-known but consistently excellent later work. As in previous album 'Kingdom of Desire', Lukather takes up most of the lead singing and his versatility is shown much more here as he effortlessly combines cracking slices of rock like the awesome blues-rock track 'The Turning Point' (a true Toto masterpiece) with slower numbers like 'The Other End of Time' and 'Just can't get to you'. There is even room for an excellent duet with Jenny Douglas-McRae called 'Baby he's your man', the midtempo contemplative album closer 'The road goes on' and another instrumental 'Dave's Gone Skiing'. Toto reinvented themselves for their previous album around Lukather's lead vocals and they manage to take it to another level here by adding a bit of variety to their style that was missing on the last album. Recommended for fans of rock of all styles and those who have only heard early Toto music.
on 16 April 2014
I love Toto. I am way to young to remember them being a huge deal in the music industry (after all, I was born in 1990!). But every time I mention them in a serious music conversation, I get laughed at. But why?

The musicianship is embarrasingly good, special credit goes to Simon Phillips on the drums for Tambu. Steve Lukather is an astonishing guitar player, and is blessed with a beautiful, soulful singing voice. And the hooks are absolutely spellbinding! For me, Tambu, alongside Fahrenheit, IV and The Seventh One, is proof that Toto were outstanding pop songwriters.

Gift Of Faith, I Will Remember, I Just Can't Get Over You and Slipped Away are powerful, memorable songs that are arranged almost like broadway numbers, they have such power and emotion.

Everything about Tambu shines. The artwork is another huge achievement. The concept of a cheap historical action adventure and the various chapters for each song is beautifully realised in the accompanying booklet, and for my money, Tambu is the best cover of any Toto album ever!

But the artwork isn't what is most important. The music is. Toto are fantastic, I own every album bar a few compilations and a covers album, and I would rank Tambu a close second to Fahrenheit, my favourite Toto release to date.
on 9 January 2013
How this album got past me,i don't know,but wow.thank you toto.I will remember and turning point are my favorite songs on this album.
on 10 February 2013
Includes "I will remember" during the time with Steve Lukather on lead vocals. A great album for all TOTO fans
on 8 January 2008
Well this is the follow up album to kingdom of desire of which i love, though this album still has that raunchy sound of k o d it also has a mellow sound too, even today 2008 "If you belong to me" is still up there as being one of my favourite toto tunes! the openning "Gift of faith" truly rocks as does "Drag him to the roof" this is also the first studio album that simon philips took part in...and it has to be said..he fits the bill "spot on" this album also contains their last uk chart entry "i will remember" though only got as far as No.64 on the singles chart it sure is a winner..it deserved to have done much better! out of the 14 studio album toto have recorded(not inc. live albums)this is one of my top 3,
forget the classic tunes they recorded long before this...these guys just get better with each album they put together, it knocks spots off these so called pretenders of rock! buy it!!
on 4 February 2014
Have been a huge toto fan since first hearing "hold the line"in the seventies.Have most of their albums some excellent some indifferent.This is probably the best toto album since farenheit.
on 20 April 2014
One of their later albums, Tambu works well ,and has some very catchy tunes and as always superb musicainship.Well worth adding to your collection.
on 15 April 2015
Great album, well pleased with it.
on 24 March 2016
great cd great service thankyou
on 28 April 2016