on 23 May 2016
Almost an hour (51 min 55 sec) of the beautiful voice of Ibrahim Ferrer on eleven tracks, this, for me, is a superb album. I don’t remember where I came across this album –possibly in a music shop playing it for the customers’ enjoyment, but on hearing it I bought a copy and enjoy it as much today as I did the better part of twenty years ago.

Having “misplaced” my copy and not having it in my collection for some time I’ve bought it again I can now enjoy these wonderful songs some more.

For me the best track is always Marieta. The eight note guitar intro inevitably has my attention for what follows. Ibrahim is joined in the lead vocals by Teresa García Caturla and they both deliver a fantastic song and story. (Spanish lyrics and an English translation are provided for each of the eleven songs.)

Track List:

10 Qué Bueno Baila Usted
11 Como Fue

Superb
on 6 June 2011
This is truly a masterpiece. Not much to add to what everyone else who has heard this has said. Go out and treat yourself. Singers like this don't come around very often.

If you like this or the Manual 'Guajira' Mirabal CD and you would like to try something Cuban from the 1950's in a similar style then play the soundfiles to either of the Cheo Marquetti CD's available on Amazon. See what you think.Cheo Marquetti Y Su Conjunto or Legends of Cuban Music.

The MP3 versions of Cheo's CD's are more competitively priced.Región Matancera or Cheo Marquetti but many of the tracks appear on both CD's. Absolutely delightful music.
2 people found this helpful
on 18 November 2006
From the first track 'Bruca Manigua' (which you will replay over and over) to the last. This album is simply Unbelievable. I only discovered Buena Vista with the free Movie cd with my Sunday Times a couple of weeks ago and Ibrahim Ferrer is just an undiscovered Legend in my books. Well, up till the last few years of his life. GET THIS!!!
9 people found this helpful
on 12 July 2013
The closest I will get to Cuba. Takes the edge off a grey days drive to work. No really, musicianship is so natural and powerful, some cheeky lyrics if you can be bothered to read the booklet - the recording is good - it feels atmospheric with no over production - I would recommend this album as an introduction to the Cuban music scene.
One person found this helpful
on 20 March 2014
I heard this band on Radio 6 one Sunday morning and was so impressed I bought the cd. Happy, vibrant music with the Latin flavour to it. Would recommend buying it.
on 30 March 2018
as allways,the best !
on 5 January 2013
bought this for my mum as she loved the buena vista social club original album and would love to visit Cuba some day when she has the funds. For the mean time she thought this was an good substitute. Listened to the album on repeat for the whole of christmas morning and no one got bored of it. Very easy listening but fun too. Brilliant buy if this sort of stuff is what you're into.
One person found this helpful
on 2 April 2015
Love the music cant be better
on 4 October 2017