Customer reviews

Fitzcarraldo
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 June 2017
Great album and CD in perfect condition but case cracked on arrival and messy label still stuck to the case. It was a present so had to put it another case.
on 2 June 2014
I "discovered" Glen Hansard through the film "Once" and then just had to have more of his voice and lyrics. Fresh and exhilarating.
on 6 May 2015
Not bad.
on 9 January 2000
Stumbling upon this album, seemingly by chance was an unforgettable experience. I am somebody who believes in music to awaken emotion from within, to enhance and enlighten the way in which we view the world and of its importance, to our own everyday lives. This album is my inspiration with its raw emotion, subtlety, aesthetic qualities and technical excellence. Kicking off with graceful aggression is 'Revelate', something that I have used countless times for physical theatre and experiments with film. A superb track that would stand out on any other album but merely sets the standard of quality here that keeps on building as this profound album, like rapid-fire, switches through your emotions with a vice like grip. 'Angel at my Table', the second track, is a wonderful experience, full of passion and uncertainty, bringing in the best elements of 'Revelate' but counter-attacking with a gentle softness, as a listener it's like being caught between heaven and hell whilst being spiritually uplifted and repeatedly stabbed in the back. 'Fitzcarraldo', the title track softens the pace yet continuously builds into a stunningly put together song. 'Say it to me Now' and 'Red Chord' are absolutely brilliant, 'Red Chord', a song that seems to be universally loved by all who are privelleged to hear this band, is emotionally intense and very moving. The other tracks on this album are all brilliant and would stand out on most other albums, 'Fitzcarraldo' is a great, great album.....come on people by this album, it'll have a profound effect on your lives, think about its cinematic potential, unrelenting energy, the way it collides through different emotions, continuously changing gear and always surprising. IF I ever have any influence in what I want to do in life I will fight for this band to have the success they so rightly deserve. Five stars! You can't really relegate something this special to a mere 5 stars. Believe me you'll be kicking yourself if you don't buy this one.
11 Comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 February 2000
Excellent guitar playing superb production amazing vocals and stupendous lyrics.This is one of my top ten albums of all time.It is as good as radiohead ''The Bends'' and will not dissapoint anybody who listens to it.From the loud opening track of Revelate to the beautiful ending of Your face you will be awoken and soothed with a mix of stupendous songs.Do not miss the chance to hear this brilliant album buy it now you will not be disappointed.
on 26 March 2005
A much better version of "Fitzcarraldo" was produced by Pete Briquette but it seems to be impossible to find.. does anyone have any ideas? This one is good, but Briquette's (from the Boomtown Rats) one was far superior.
on 16 May 2003
This is one of those classic albums that will never be in NME top 100 or similiar lists because the band have not got the recognition they deserve. It's bloody amazing from 'Revelate' to 'Your Face' every track has something for everyone. 'Fitzcarraldo', 'In this boat together' and 'Red Chord' are standout tracks. I could name a long list of bands to compare them with but put simply if you are a real music fan you should BUY THIS ALBUM and the other Frames albums, this band might just save your life.
on 16 February 2005
I first heard The Frames on the Chicago morning radio show, Mancow. I had to hear more... Once I heard some samples, I got Fitzcarraldo, Dance the Devil, and For the Birds from Amaxon.co.uk and had them shipped here to the US. I enjoy Fitzcarraldo the most - the mix of violins, soft lyrics with rock chords, and the unique sound of Glen's voice - make this the best band I've never heard of.
I just purchased Set List and Burn the Maps and I plan on seeing them on March 5th in Chicago. They recently received a great review in Blender Music Magazine for Burn the Maps... I hope The Frames catch on outside of Ireland and the UK - they really deserve it!
on 21 September 2006
i do own a copy of this album produced by Mr Briquette, the fact that i worked for the record company probably helped in acquiring it, i have not heard the other version and don't want to this one is great
on 21 November 1999
Giving a taste of this bands powerful live performance, 'Fitzcarraldo' is a truly intense musical treat. 'Angel at my Table' and Red Chord are the high points of the album, where lead singer Glen Hansard's voice is truly stunning. Definatly one of my top 10 favourite albums, ever.