Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 12 April 2007
It genuinely pains me to say it, but speaking as a loyal lifelong fan, this is for me without question a really poor album by the boys from Glasgow.

Like so many fans I rushed out and bought it at the time of original release, but my expectations were not met, and age and time have not changed this. The album sounds dated with a compressed sound quality and average songs. There are a few brief glimpses of previous form but they are unfortunately far too brief.

I agree with a previous reviewer who said that when these songs are performed live, they are much improved. But the versions on this album have muddled production, a lack of direction and song writing cohesion that does not compare with any of their output either side of this album.

If you are a completist fan you may feel the urge to purchase Neapolis for your collection but honestly, unless you find it for sale cheaply, forget this brief lapse in form, save your money, and purchase Black and White 050505 which IMHO is the best studio album Simple Minds have made in the last 15 years.
on 8 November 2008
after reading plenty of bad reviews for this album i can honestly say that i thought this was a good album-maybe im alone in this thought but i genuinly like it!
song for tribes and killing andy warhol are funky little dittys-and the others, well i can sit through the album in its entirety and not be bored, unlike real life and good news which i find a bit dull in places.
ok its not like early minds but it shows maturity and grace(unlike some bands from the 80s show these days-duran duran!) and it has aged well.

so if you, like me, were a little bit put off by dodgy reviews-i say go for it and make up your own mind!
you might just love it!
on 18 February 2002
four years after the release of this album, I think it's largely forgettable.
Most songs are overproduced, "War Babies" in particular, but these tracks are also poorly writen and unimiginative.
If you can find a live rendition of the tracks from Néapolis, they are by far better than the original studio versions.
Otherwize wait for this album to be found in the low budget CD serie.
on 17 September 2016
Excellent album from the minds. Underrated and for some reason forgotten album. It's different from their usual stuff but great ..
on 15 August 2014
I love this album and the production. Its not muddled, ist a deliberatly different sound. The only reason for not giving it 5 is there is about 3 songs that dont really do it, but I would name this among my favourite Minds records.
on 23 May 2013
Maybe it is because I do not have such a high opinion of this band as many here obviously do, I lost interest after Real to Real Cacophony and only dipped in and out of their music since, until recently when I reviewed my position and found that there was something to listen to. I picked up a number of albums at discount price or in charity shops but kept avoiding this album because of the bad reviews. Having now heard it I am puzzled, there is very little difference in quality between this and most other albums by this band. I can understand people not liking this but I would then expect them to feel the same about most of the rest of the Simple Minds post 70s output.
on 18 April 2002
Neapolis seems more like a copiltion of thoughts then an album as a full, complete work. Although some songs look too obvious like "Tears of A Guy" some small gems can be found, Superman Vs Supersoul" n "If I Had Wings" surely bring out some of SMs most special moments. "killing Andy Wharrol" n "Androgeny" were sort of clues to paths followed later by the band, both are worth noticing. Being released 3 years after "Good News From the Next World" n just 1 before the recording of their lost album "Our secrets are the Same" (which was indeed much better!) makes us think it they should have waited a little more to get some of the later mentioned good vibes. Simple Minds did okay, but can sure do better
on 8 May 2016
One of their later albums, but still going strong. A very good album.
on 6 April 2015
Ok, so it's not their best album but give it a chance. When I first listened to this CD I was not impressed at all, it seemed full of forgettable tunes except maybe Glitterball (released as a single I think), but I gave it a chance and after about 5 or 6 listens I began to hear melodies I hadn't realised were there, also what struck me was how very well recorded and played it was with some great production. So now I really like the CD, with only the last track an instrumental not to my taste
on 8 June 2015