Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 January 2017
I love Nina Simone`s voice, it is awesome . You can put this cd on and pretty much forget your worries for a while. This cd is a nice cross-section of her albums. Great cd and I recommend this to all.
on 22 June 2017
This is 'easy listening' Nina Simone, nothing too harrowing, well perhaps 'Go to Hell' if your'e religious, but that's all. Beautiful interpretations of Dylans 'Just like woman' and Leonard Cohens 'Suzanne' and the sound is open and detailed, probably remastered.
on 3 May 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed this for X mas
on 18 July 2005
Nina Simone has one of those distinctive voices which is incredibly difficult to describe. I know that when I first heard this CD at a friends party a few years ago, I had to buy it.
As other reviewers have said, this is one of the only compilations that does hold so many of the listeners' favourite tracks such as Feeling Good, I Put a Spell on You, My Baby Just Cares for me etc but for me it's the lesser known tracks that I've fallen in love with.
Here Comes the Sun is a fantastic cover of George Harrison's classic. Simple with amazing gospel harmonies. The kind of track that gives you goosebumps. And Nina's rendition of Mr Bojangles made famous by Sammy Davis Jr is equally emotional: very different in mood to the original version or Robbie Williams' cover of the track.
Whilst there are songs I wish were on this album, such as Sinnerman or See-Line Woman, it's a treasure of a collection and doesn't fail to fulfil whatever mood needs nurturing at the time. If you are a Nina fan, you'll love this. If you've never heard anything by her, you'll love it even more.
on 27 March 2014
This is a great artist no doubt about that and there are some great titles on this album, but for me I thought this was a disappointing album. The remastering techniques used on this album do not work for me, I have heard many versions of these songs by Nina Simone on other albums which are far superior to this album.
on 8 October 2000
Sick of soulless pop tat? Want to listen to something from the heart, not the marketing department? If you like music with style, feeling and personality (e.g. Air, Louis Armstrong,Portishead, Labi Siffri, Marvin Gaye, etc. etc.) then you'll love this.
on 7 January 2003
This album is one of those rare, beautiful, flawless presentations of all that is good in the world. This is the kind of music you can put on, and forget everything else in the world. You can simply enter into this Woman's world of simple, memorable tunes, all of which are exceptionally executed. This is one of those perfect albums, which everyone should own. Buy it now!
on 13 November 2002
The term genius is really used alot these days but there are few who deserve it, not so this lady.
On this compilation from 1997 (the most up to date I could find!)we the music buying public are treated a 20 track album that sounds in places just heart stopping it's so good, but even at 20 tracks I feel robbed. Why is this album not longer?, I could put up with another disc of songs.
So until the record companies get there act together and release a compilation that truly is "The very best of Nina Simone" this disc will cover your needs at the moment for superb music from this great lady of song, buy this in the knowledge that it doesn't tell you the whole story but wets your taste buds for more.
on 10 June 2009
The only Nina CD worth buying, its brilliant, updated versions of her classics - fun, happy, lively - I love it!! - Great Sunday Morning CD
on 11 September 2003
You can only enjoy this CD.
I came across this CD before I even knew who Nina Simone was. I immediately developed favourite tracks and listened to the entire CD rather than skipping over the second rate songs (there just aren't any)
Trust me, this is a great CD and no collection is complete without it...