on 10 March 2009
This is one of three albums from the Bothy Band which crackled and exploded onto the Irish and International stage from the mid/late seventies, and brought erstwhile flagging Irish Trad back to life - with professional devotion, blood surging energy, and sheer pleasure. Irish trad woke up, and a new and grateful audience was quickly established which has seen Trad thrive, and sing to this day.

Most of the pieces are reels, and jigs, with natural traditional instruments - feadog, bodhran, fiddle, guitar, flute and pipes.

However the best instrument to my ears - (and undoubtedly one of the world's best kept secrets) is the uniquely sensitive, instinctively musical - and utterly compelling voice of Micheal O Domhnaill. (Micheal sadly passed away in 2006.) Sadly it is only in recent times that people are becoming aware of his unique sound.

On this album he sings two lovely traditional Gaelic ballads, including 'Tiocfaidh an Samraidh'. However his voice can also be heard on his later albums. where he collaborated with a variety of established Trad musicians - including Kevin Burke, Paddy Glackin and his sisters Triona and Maighread Ni Dhomhnaill.
on 5 February 2011
These guys are the rock and rollers of traditional Irish music; their stuff might not suit every traditionalist but I love it. For sheer musicianship they are, for me, the best.
on 7 April 2014
I used to love listening to this album on vinyl. Now living in a small apartment, I cannot accommodate a good turntable based system so bought the CD. Whilst this CD does not have the depth & quality of the vinyl it is still very good & reminds me if why I loved the Bothy Band.