Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 25 July 2017
A quick look at the back of this CD would suggest this would either be Catatonia's best album or the one with biggest hits and 'other' songs, thankfully, it's a bit of both!
The immediate tracks that stand out are : 'Mulder & Scully,' 'I Am The Mob,' 'Road Rage' and 'International Velvet,' all stellar tracks, all instantly recognisable, all guaranteed to give a fan of so called 'Britpop' a healthy hit of nostalgia and memories as well as aural pleasure! What makes this album great as opposed to 'good with hits,' is the strength of the lesser known tracks. 'Goldfish & Paracetamol,' 'Part Of The Furniture,' and 'Game On' are all great and might even prod your memories, while even lesser tracks like closer 'My Selfish Gene' have at least one defining moment, in this case, having one of the most wince inducing choruses you're ever likely to hear, bile and spleen...
The production is great, musicianship classy, and a lot of replay value to the album and it's songs, try listening to the intro to the title tracks and try and spot how many different things are going on at once!
on 13 March 2016
Absolutely sensational 2nd album from Welsh indie Rock band Catatonia. This album was the first CD album I ever bought as a young teen and 20 years later still remains my favourite most listened to album. It embodies coolness, attitude, sentiment, poetry and Cerys Matthews has a unique voice that can range from the downright raucous and angry in songs like I am the mob to the most sentimental and soothing in tracks like game on and strange glue. And of course the album includes their most famed anthems 'Mulder and and Scully' and 'Road Rage' that hit the top ten in the UK charts. The band only released 4 albums before splitting but were a fantastic edition to the Britpop scene back in the 90s and it's wonderful to relieve those memories again through these melodies - if you haven't heard Catatonia just buy it!! Or if you've lost your copy over the years, get it again!
review image
on 12 September 2014
Excellent
on 6 June 2001
I felt I just had to put my 5* review in here as I thought it was scandalous that this album was rated lower than Way Beyond Blue (Cerys and the boys' previous album). Yes, Way Beyond Blue is a good disc, but International Velvet is simply fabulous.
Every song is a belter from the poppy hit Mulder And Scully to the driving rock of Road Rage to the plaintive cry of Strange Glue. Cerys' captivating voice is surely one of the most original in modern rock (shown to good effect on the sparse My Selfish Gene) and her lyrics are fantastically off-the-wall. Is there a better opening couplet for a song than "I put horses heads in peoples' beds; Cause I am the Mob"? And I bet if I understood Welsh I'd like the lyrics to International Velvet, but the (English) chorus is great singalong stuff nevertheless (cod Welsh accent optional).
Give yourself a treat and buy this album to hear some great songs played well by a truly original band at the very top of their form.
on 18 April 2005
This album never sells for less then a fiver on bootfairs even (when the stall next door is selling everthing for 20p) and, having got my own copy at last, I understand why. This album contains virtually all the songs I love from this band.
The Welsh singing voice can sometimes be a beautiful thing, and none is more beautiful then that of Caerys (spelling?) Matthews. She can either sound amazingly delicate and sweet or gloriously angry and grrr.
on 25 July 2014
My fault, I meant to buy the film not the CD!
on 13 January 2002
This record changed my life. No, it really did. Some might say that Catatonia "sold out" when they made this album, but if this is what selling out does, I only wish more bands would do it. From the opening guitars of the ultimate pop tune "Mulder and Scully" the album goes from strength to strength. The melodies are beauties, there are so many textures of sounds and the lyrics can mess with your head more than any intoxicating substances. And I know its been said before, but Cerys' voice is so beautiful and can move me to tears if I'm not making futile attempts to imitate it. Each song is an absolute masterpiece on its own, from the very original and understated "Goldfish And Paracetemol" to the gorgeous songs that deserve to be up with the best of power ballads, "Strange Glue" and "My Selfish Gene". Its a great shame that people put Catatonia down so much and didn't actually listen to the music, because they had something very very special. All of the albums are great, but this one is just better than amazing. I'd give it 5 million stars if I could. Buy it.
on 3 January 2014
this item is badly described as i thought it was a cd not a cassette who has a cassette player apart from in my 1983 ford capri
on 5 November 2014
garbage,i assumed it was a cd not a cassette,who the hell has cassette players these days?? should have been made more clear
on 24 May 2001
Mulder and Scully is good, really good, a smash hit single that everyone loves yet it is the LEAST brilliant song on this album. Game On is smooth, silky and uplifting and I am the Mob is the most stylish guitar pop rock novelty song ever but it is ROad Rage that makes your hair stand on end. . .and it continues to stand on end until the album is over. Right through the anthemic yet strangely stirring Johnny Come Lately throught the rythmic Goldfish and paracetamol and the welsh national anthem... sorry I mean the title track. One Night Stands is such a slice of lifesong that it is painful to listen to while Part of the Furniture shows that they can do,their own brand of rock too. The last three tracks are to die for.Dont need the Sunshine is the most touching, singalongable acoustic strum ever, while Strange Glue is a grand theatrical masterpiece and in my opinion the best song ever. My Selfish Gene is the comedown that makesyou feel down and depressed enough to need cheering up... so you start the album backat Mulder and Scully...