Customer reviews

on 16 October 2017
The opening track : Hvite Krists Død . The message is clear....the darkness is present
on 27 August 2013
I Came back to this album after leaving it on teh shelf for awhile... It was not until i listened to a differant "Black Metal" album that i was so disapointed in, that i decided to listn to this masterpeice to remember why i love this genre so much.

This album is an absolute classic, and very underrated!
on 6 March 2016
The pinnacle of Satyricon and the best album ever created in my opinion.
on 2 August 2015
The Shadowthrone is the second studio album by Norwegian black metal band Satyricon. It was released on 12 September 1994, through Moonfog Productions. The band have described The Shadowthrone as "an atmospheric and symphonic album with a strong Nordic touch. There are less acoustic guitars and medieval influences, and it is harsher and grimmer than the debut Dark Medieval Times, although it maintains the atmosphere".

Like their debut album Dark Medieval Times, The Shadowthrone also consists of seven tracks which are as follows:
(1) "Hvite Krists død" ("White Christ's Death") 8:27
(2) "In the Mist by the Hills" 8:01
(3) "Woods to Eternity" 6:13
(4) "Vikingland" ("Land of Vikings") 5:14
(5) "Dominions of Satyricon" 9:25
(6) "The King of the Shadowthrone" 6:14
(7) "I en svart kiste" ("In a Black Coffin") 5:24
All songs written and composed by Satyr.

After listening to Satyricon's debut album Dark Medieval Times, I thought I'd give their follow-up The Shadowthrone a go to see how well the two albums compare, and when listening to this one I have very much liked what I heard. And yes, I would agree entirely with what the band said about The Shadowthrone being harsher and grimmer than Dark Medieval Times.

If I ever get round to forming a metal band of my own, I would very gladly play music like this because metal is pretty much the sort of music I mainly listen to (sometimes I listen to classic rock and progressive rock, but I mainly stick to listening to metal because it is heavier - I don't listen to such forms of music as pop, opera or hip-hop at all because I don't like them).

I very highly recommend The Shadowthrone just as much as I do with Dark Medieval Times. Happy listening!
One person found this helpful
on 9 December 2009
'The Shadowthrone' has a centrifugal sense of gathering power. I was stunned by the power of this album when I heard it in '95, and it still has the power to inspire me today. 'Woods to Eternity' makes the hairs on the back on my neck stand up. This even more than Darkthrone or Burzum's efforts was the album that made me want to start learning Norwegian, and heightened my interest in languages in general (for the ignorant who think that metal has no educational value). The solemn chants, the power, the mystery, the sense of readiness for battle...this is one of the classic works to come from the Norwegian Black Metal explosion - classic in the sense that it hasn't aged a bit.
on 3 August 2003
Early stuff which stands out just as well as their later stuff,and for different reasons-A very raw sounding album which delivers that distinctive Satyicon feel that is theirs alone, yet is still true to the Norwegian Black Metal scene.Vikingland & Dominions of Satyricon stand out the most.A great Viking & Pagan sounding album ...class
on 7 February 2001
This is one of Satyricons early works.Although the production is very raw,they have some brilliant idea's.What makes an album for me is when u can lay down & it makes u think & this album sure makes me do this.Its almost a mix of norweigen folk & blasts beats! Strange but it works!! Erm?? i only have this on tape...think im gonna have 2 buy it now!!