Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 May 2017
This album was a sheer delight, arriving home and seeing the brown envelope of hope lying on my floor having been posted through my letter box filled me with joy and excitement. I knew it was this album...... only other thing I was waiting for was the paternity results of 7 children from africa(that's another story) I opened the envelop and there it was...... looking at me, those teeth..... such elegance. Having caressed and held the album for several hours whilst being knocked down on the busy dual carriage way and getting back up again I eventually played the album. The tunes..... the memories.... the elegance. I give this album a 10/10 and I highly recommend this sound, this circular platform of hope and class to all around the globe. Quite simply beautiful
review image
on 16 January 2011
Bought primarily as it was effectively same price as the successful Tubthumping single, the album is actually very good albeit some way short of the heights reached by the Anarchy album that is one of my favourite of all time.
on 1 August 2013
...because I love this Album and what else need be said. And as britain's great bard once wrote "if music be the food of love, play on"
on 25 September 2013
Having strayed many years ago onto a slim cassette of this album, I have missed it's incredible cleverness in terms of the social messaging contained within. It is now dated, BUT, I fear, as this country moves towards the new 20's some of it's content may begin to strike chords particularly in relation to the national job situation. All tracks though are deserving of praise and especially the links between. Buy it and listen to it as a complete story.
on 30 August 2013
Tried this one on the strength of reviews and this group's excellent song titled 'Jacobs ladder', hoping for some well written intelligent music, but what is served up here is really chopped up and glued together rock-pop, all belted out at an excitable pace. It comes across as 'fast music', like fast food, catchy beats here and there but all lacking any real depth or quality. The music seems to be more about the lyrical content, or perhaps even the screeds of opinion reeled out in the booklet. It is mostly lacking in any well thought out, clever, or interesting melodies. As for the screeds of opinions expressed, as usual everything else and everything else is at fault, and as another song goes, 'look in the mirror then make the change'- but who wants to face personal responsibility for anything these days?
This album is a rabble, and probably the best thing of all IS its written screeds of opinion, for we still need people to point out and express some of the ridiculous hypocritical attitudes of modern politics and society. But the 'music' sucks.
on 29 July 2013
it was what I expected to hear and they were as I remembered them when they first came to my attention
on 1 January 2011
This is pretty much a straight down the middle pop-album; nice melodies,dance beats and choruses that can be sung in the bath. What sets it apart - and can prove frustrating - is the lyrical content.

No doubt Chumbawamba see themselves as the last in the line of protest singers such as Woody Guthrie, Dylan, Billy Bragg, the Clash and so on; pointing the light on abuses of power, mis-representation, the shallowness of consumer society and 'down trodden; working man. However their particular lyrical and singing style just comes across as curmudgeonly complaining about "Us & Them" and how they (or everybody) are victims of some particular conspiracy by the establishment....or some other nasty body politic. Their predicament - whatever it may be - is always someone elses fault; making Chumbabwumba the eternal victims of someone elses actions.

If you can stomach the very old fashioned political posturing - more suited to the early 20th C. than the latter- this makes good background music.
on 5 October 2013
I heard them for the first time in 15 years, and since then I liked. and I wanted to buy their cd because I had never bought before
on 2 July 2014
Nothing to complain about.
on 1 February 2015