Customer reviews

The Best of Joe Walsh & The James Gang 1969-1974
Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 3 May 2012
I don`t know what it is about Joe Walsh, I really don`t, but I can`t stop playing this generously filled 77-minute compilation, taken from Joe`s days with The James Gang, Barnstorm, and his first two solo albums.
Somehow I missed out on Joe Walsh. Naturally, I knew about him, was aware he`d become an Eagle sometime in the 70s, was a guitarist... Well! The man sings, in a high Plant-like way, writes meandering, somewhat offbeat songs that nevertheless draw you in the more you play them - and he`s one of the tastiest, most inventive guitarists I have ever heard. In fact, I can`t help wanting more of his stunning guitar every time I play this disc.
From the first jittery, high octane notes of Funk No 8, through the marvellous Led Zep-like The Bomber, to the irresistible hit Rocky Mountain Way, along with fifteen other superb tracks - not a dud among them - this is a beguiling ride. It`s worth reading up on Mr Walsh, he sounds like a great guy, with a zany sense of humour to boot. The latter is in evidence on some tracks, for example the opening manic cries of the excellent Meadows. The whole of this collection exudes good humour, a kind of languidly timeless rock music of no particular genre - which I suppose is one reason why I can`t for the life of me pin down just what it is I love about it.
I`ve already ordered his album But Seriously Folks, and I can`t wait to hear it. If it`s as lovable as all the music here, I`ll have another reason for the daft grin on my face.
There aren`t that many rock musicians who can make you feel this damn happy - Nils Lofgren, Lovin` Spoonful, Steely Dan and early Little Feat spring to mind - so I`m not going to wonder why this guy has made my year, but I sure as hell am going to keep playing his irrepressible, ebullient, joyous music for as long as I can.
As an introduction to Joe Walsh, bless him, this is terrific value for money, despite an odd lack of track details (who plays what, etc). Now, if he`d only tour the UK...
I love this man!
on 10 December 2017
I bought this hoping that the song Life's Been Good was on it. It wasn't but I wasn't disappointed with this album. My favourite song on it is County Fair. Walk Away is another which is great
on 3 November 2014
Being an Eagles fan and having heard Joe's singles, Rocky Mountain Way and life's Been Good, I thought it would be good to hear what the man did before. Personally I love it and it's easy to see how the Eagles gained a more rock edge after Joe joined them. Worth every penny!!
on 22 September 2014
Unabashed nostalgia, before he joined the saccharin Eagles. Able to laugh at himself, which for a musician is a rare character trait.
Rock of my youth; Funk 49 best ever guitar intro. ever. The man is a genius then and now.
on 15 June 2017
A very good album.
on 3 February 2017
received with thanks.
on 7 June 2017
Good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 February 2015
NOT TOO BAD FOR JOE... NOT AS GOOD AS HIS 'SO WHAT', 'ROCKY MOUNTAIN WAY', 'BUT SERIOUSLY FOLKS' OR 'BARNSTORM.... JUST OKAY...
on 2 June 2015
Can be depressing if you listen to it too much. Good slice of 60's Counter Culture.
on 27 September 2015
great songs great artist buy it.