Customer reviews

Rumba Argelina
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 1 November 2001
This album lives in my car, it soothes and swings with a style which is emminently Spanish. Rumba Angelina is a sexy, sultry album which makes you want to dance, to sing and to take pleasure in living - even the worst traffic jam. Occasionally it makes its way into my house and it ALWAYS makes people dance. It's a belly dancing, salsa-ing festival of sounds which leaves you unable to keep still. My parents love it, my friends love it and even my 18 month old son loves it - his 4 year old cousin dances to it with him on the back seat of the car. This album has shaped some of the most special moments of my life .... it goes VERY well with a dinner party and lots of bottles of Rioja. It is The Gypsy Kings after an afternoon in the heat of the southern Spanish sun. Exquisite.
on 2 May 2009
I bought this only because I was going on holiday to Vejer (which is 30 minutes up the coast from Tarifa). Turned out to be one of the best albums I bought that year. Great for car journeys. Perhaps not immediately accessible, but the more you play it, the more you'll love it.
on 2 January 2006
Once I walked into a small music shop in Granada and got HIT by the spirit. That was the first track from "Rumba Angelina. Never heard anything like that before. No pre-conceptions. And when I bought it, it revealed to me a new dimention of sound that had been unknown to me until that moment. However, while Soledad literally affects my dreams when I listen to it before going to bed,Manana is the quintesence of (previously unspecified)the most sublime form of beauty to me. A revelation.
on 18 September 2011
I purchased this cd when it first came out in Germany and was enjoying Euro wide popularity sometime in the late 90's. It moves me now just as it did then, evoking memories of North Africa, Andalucia and the travels and cultural explorations I made. I eventually moved to Spain as part of my grand plan, and of course this came with me.

Radio Tarifa's music is a successful crossover melt, be it a touch of salsa, Arabic folk or the ever present flamenco influence.

This particular album, their first, is a natural blend of the rich history of Spain, of a time when Andalous encompassed Northern Africa AND southern Spain (in that order). History and politics shifted the physical borders, but the cultural merges and rich arrangement of Rumba Argelina album are delightfully alive. Sensous and transporting, moving or relaxing this album is still one of my very favourites to recommend for personal enjoyment or for delightful background music when having friends over for summer get togethers. Invariably, its musical threads weave their way into conversation. It is intoxicating and 'moving' - physically and emotionally.

Buy it. Gift it. Be delighted with what you discover.
on 29 October 2007
I friend sent this album to me some time ago, and it is a real delight to listen to. It is very sensuous and melodic and is a great way to relax at the end of the day. You can hear that these are musicians with a great passion for playing. It is not one of these albums that is a one number wonder. All the songs can be listened to over and over without getting tired of them. A real treat in the line with World music CD's.
on 8 October 2008
I've never heard a whole Radio Tarifa CD before, previously encountering them through compilations and radio chango. I am so glad I purchased this as it's such a beautiful album and absolutely timeless, sounding traditional and contemporary all at once. I really do recommend it as it transports you to distant times and places, at the same time as sounding fresh and relevant. Great album to unwind after work!
on 10 December 2002
Whilst being a very good piece of music, like the majority of crossover style music there appears to be someting missing here. The music is well recorded, produced and arranged with many influences being heard, it can at times be too well produced. This is not to say it is bland, but could be doing with more fire!! Still, I have been listening to this since it came out so it cannot be all bad!!
on 1 January 2015
Forget labels such as world music, this is simply a beautiful album that will stick in your mind forever.
on 7 October 2014
Very very good music. I love it.
on 27 May 2015