This 1987 recording of the Symphony No2 by Mahler is outstanding. Conductor Gilbert Kaplan effectively was an amateur conductor but proves professional quality with this dedicated effort,
Kaplan has clear understanding of the Symphony since his direction brings us a rendition full of power and emotion.
The attention to every aspect of the composition is high as the London Symphony Orchestra under Kaplan give clear and precise phrasing that is thoroughly exciting. The recording is just fabulous.
I have had this for many years and it is still a favourite.
The whole project takes us on an incredible journey and ends with amazing power and I am so satisfied with this version I wouldn't want to think of it any other way.
The digital sound is excellent and the performance from all involved is really good. The London Symphony Orchestra are on top form here and the Ardwyn Singers and BBC Welsh Chorus with the Cardiff Polyphnic Choir sound fabulous.
Benita Valente as Soprano and Maureen Forrester as Contralto are great and give a strong emotional performance.
You cannot go wrong with this recording of a great Symphony.
on 23 November 2013
Bought the Levine 1 and 3-10 and was bowled over - but had to know what 2 was about. I found out, IT IS QUITE A NEW MUSICAL EXPERIENCE.---OUTSTANDING.
I will have to buy another version to compare but I am so pleased I bought this one first, Mr Kaplan's documentation alone is worth more than the package cost. I doubt if the work would have meant half as much without Mr Kaplan's guiding notes--he clearly lives for Mahler.
How the sounds from Yale were brought together with the terrific orchestra and chorus performing in St Davids is mind blowing. You'll have to buy it to know what on earth I can be talking about
on 1 January 2016
I heard this recording, made with the LSO, at then time it was first issued and it gave me much pleasure. The 5 stars are also in memory of the late conductor, who died too young.

Go to - to read comments about him from people who held him in high regard, both as a musician and as a friend.

RIP, Gilbert Kaplan.
on 24 August 2014
This version of the second symphony is sublime. It is a double cd and the recording is excellent quality. The Otto Klemperer version is very good as well.