on 13 January 2006
Dismissed as weak and deleted almost as soon as it was released by Polydor back in 1995 this album has alot to offer,not just for the Gerry completists out there. True the album consists of alot of re-recorded early tracks " Her Father Didn't Like My Anyway" Covers & Stealers Wheel material "Wrong Thinking" "Right Or Wrong " but the production is great & Gerry's cover of John Lennons 'Mind Games' track " Out Of The Blue " is a gem worth discovering the album for on its own. A credible companion to his Classic releases and on CD to boot. Now available as a Universal Archive release so you shouldn't have to dip too deeply into your savings . Enjoy and wonder to yourself why his back catalogue has been neglected. ( Night Owl - Sleepwalking - Snakes & Ladders next please!)
on 6 January 2007
Over My Head is a brilliant album for Rafferty fans, but also a really good album for someone new to his work , and that is a sign of a master record maker.Again, he has surrounded himself with some excellent musicians and reaps the well deserved results.Starts gently with Bajan Moon,moving through some funky baselines, and some solid rock tracks, making clever use of backing vocals,as always.There are a few re-visited songs here from the Stealers Wheel days..Right or Wrong,Wrong Thinking and Her Father Didn't Like Me Anyway.Not just space fillers, he has reworked them well. All in all I don't think this man has done any bad tracks and each album he does seems better than the last...if at all possible.Fantastic stuff!
on 18 June 2011
Like most people, I became aware of the music of Gerry Rafferty through the song Baker Street, buying the album City to City many years ago and enjoying it ever since. I have added slowly to my collection of his albums over the years, stymied only by their rarity and consequent high price. Rafferty's death early this year re-kindled my enthusiasm and my purchase of this album completed my collection. I have read other reviews of several of his albums with interest, buying several with trepidation and always being surprised, as I have unfailingly enjoyed every one of them. It would be true to say that those people who were perhaps just looking for a repeat of Baker Street itself might find some of his other albums less interesting, but the album City to City itself is full of contrasts, from the rock of the afore-mentioned song and the title track to the more folky Matty's Rag. This album, the rarest, is another gem. The tracks cover a variety of styles once again, from the rocky "The Waters of Forgetfulness" to the Country & Western-sounding "Wrong Thinking" and "Down and Out". "The Girl's Got No Confidence" is a joyful up-tempo romp, whilst "Lonesome Polecat" and " Late Again" are more reflective. " Clear Day" is another of those laid-back smooth rock tracks which Rafferty does so well." Out the Blue" reminded me very much of John Lennon, while a new version of the early track " Her Father Didn't Like Me Anyway" is a worthy closer to the album. "Bajan Moon" is an off-beat opening track, but, once you're drawn in, I defy any Rafferty fan to find anything less than satisfying on this lesser-known masterpiece. Expensive, yes(come on, record companies, get a re-issue out!), but worth every penny! Highly recommended.
on 26 January 2015
You can never go wrong with Gerry Rafferty. This album is a combination of new songs, some old songs from Gerry's period with The Humblebums (=Billy Connolly) and Stealers Wheel, and two covers. Perhaps is that jigsaw also the albums weakness - I feel a bit mixed when listening. One by one, these songs are excellent and I especially appreciate the new songs: Bajan Moon, The Waters of Forgetfulness (what a pearl!) and the up beat The Girl's Got No Confidence, allegedly about Linda Thompson.
on 1 July 2013
For those collecting the works of Rafferty, you have to have it. A pop genius, whose life was cut short by alcoholism. What else might he have given us? So sad.
on 1 January 2014
I've been a fan of Gerry Rafferty for a long time, this album is one of my favourites he put so much feeling into his songs he
was great song writer.
on 12 November 2013
I love everything GR has done, this purchase was to replace a lost tape. Same style as Baker Street. Love the voice
on 23 October 2014
Not my favourite Rafferty album, but it does grow on you after a few hearings. I think he became a lot more religious in his later years and this shows in his song-writing. Unfortunately that sort of thing is not my cup of tea and I prefer songs from the heart rather than mumbo jumbo.
on 12 May 2014
I have enjoyed Rafferty's music for a long time and his style was always polished to perfection on the production side of the albums which an audiophile like me will always appreciate. I know that music of this quality is a treat for your ears.
on 14 January 2015
just bought this cd....another winner from the late great gerry rafferty Always been a fan of him and this cd is right up at the top. the track This girl has no confidence is superb.....cannot stop playing this c.d.