on 22 April 2016
Over the years there have been lots and lots of compilations showcasing rock’s most indestructible band. Neil Spencer navigates his way through nearly all of them in the latest edition of Uncut’s sometimes useful Ultimate Music Guide. In his preamble to that task he writes of how: “The flow of dodgy, unnecessary, misleadingly titled and tackily packaged compilations has been a feature of the group’s lengthy career, almost all of them a reflection of the disadvantageous, indeed calamitous, management and licensing deals that the band cut in their first decade.” He goes on to add that: “To rub salt into financial wounds, assorted greatest-hits packages remain among the Stones’ all-time best sellers; 1971’s Hot Rocks, for example, an album on which the group hold no copyright – beyond songwriting credits – clocked up sales of six million.”

The group’s personal misfortune doesn’t detract from the excellent quality of the material featured on what is, technically, their first double album. Featuring most of the band's biggest hits during their first decade, this 21 track compilation boasts 4 transatlantic No. 1’s: 1965’s ‘(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction’ and’ Get Off My Cloud’; 1966’s ‘Paint It Black’, and 1969’s ‘Honky Tonk Woman’. Though this chronologically-arranged, 7-year overview omits a few successful singles (including ‘It's All Over Now’, ‘The Last Time’, and ‘Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadow?)’, their replacements – the B-side ‘Play With Fire’, and album tracks ‘Under My Thumb’ and ‘Gimme Shelter’ - offer an equally enthralling impression of the strutting, sexually charged rock ‘n’ roll that the Stones were making in that era.

Rightly regarded for a long time as the best introduction to their work, Hot Rocks only flaw is the jarring inclusion of the 9 minute ‘Midnight Rambler’. This semi-improvised live track - from 1970’s 'Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!': The Rolling Stones In Concert - has Jagger singing about rape and murder, but the adoring crowd – who don’t appear to be listening all that carefully - just cheers wildly.
on 11 August 2015
Unless I am mistaken, I have not read any specific comment about the sound quality of this issue on a double album released on sacd format. I am not necessarily a rock music fan but having grown up in the 60s and 70s as a teenager to the sound of Simon and Garfunkel, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, the Beatles, the Stones and many others , I was intrigued to find out by what magnitude the sound had been be improved years later, using the latest digital technology. I grew up to embrace the classical music cause in the intervening years and started buying classical records almost exclusively. So, why buy this now you may ask. Nostalgia and my taste for remastered music in the best possible sound made me go ahead with the purchase of these sacds.. I was just curious to hear what differences I could possibly hear compared to the original recordings I was familiar with.
Well, I was in for a pleasant shock. I remember how fuzzy and trebly, the sound used to be on my record player and I put this down to the poor recording and reproduction of the sound. I could not have been any more wrong because now, many years later, I can report that I am absolutely bowled over by the quality of the sound reproduction on my high end system set up for optimum reproduction where any slight change however small can be detected immediately.
Not only has the fuzziness and trebly sound gone completely but the clarity of the recording is simply amazing. Suddenly, you are transported into the recording studio, to witness the recording session taking place. I can now hear details I had never heard before, low level details as well as the acoustics of the recording venue with the greatest ease. Suddenly the Stones are performing even better and I would go as far as saying that the recording in its remastered format can be considered to be in the hi fi demo league good enough to be played to showcase your hi fi system. I am now more than happy to play Maria Callas and the Rolling Stones in sacd format!
So, if you are a Rolling Stones fan or an audiophile like me, buy this without any further ado. You will not regret it, I promise you.
PS : I understand that concern has been expressed by a reviewer over the fact that these sacds will not play as sacds on his sacd player. This is very odd as it should. I had no problem at all with my sacd player.
A final thought. I have now just bought Hot rocks vol 2 on the strength of what I heard on the first volume with the knowledge that it will play happily on my standard cd player and on my sacd player.
on 30 March 2017
Nice to see the records being produced on 180gm vinyl. As someone who grew up with vinyl but in an age where CD's then MP3's were the way to buy music it's nice to finally be able to buy brand new vinyl for myself. I've noticed this newer records also have thicker cardboard and a stronger spine (if it's gatefold) than the old records, a nice touch that should help avoid your new records ending up old and battered like your parents records (if they're anything like my mum's albums anyway!).

This is a collection of classic Rolling Stones songs that sound excellent on the 180gm vinyl. It comes with some great songs such as Satisfaction, Jumpin Jack Flash, Paint It Black and many more. It's a double LP gatefold album. Definitely worth a buy if you like the Stones and want their best stuff on vinyl.

I do prefer the track listing on 40 Licks but that's not on vinyl.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 28 April 2013
'Hot Rocks' is an almost definitive two disc set of The Rolling Stones' singles on the Decca record label from the 1964-1971. All the Stones most recognisable classics from this era are here, and the retrospective, boasting excellent sound quality, serves as an excellent introduction to the band. If you wish to start a collection of Stones' albums - this is a great place to begin with.

I remember when I first bought this set, initially only familiar with a handful of the Stones' hits, but it didn't take long for me to become hooked and keen to discover the more music from one of the most successful and long-running classic rock bands the world has ever seen. Perhaps the greatest value of 'Hot Rocks' is too be able to listen to just how much Mick Jagger and his boys grew musically over a relatively short period of time, as all the songs are presented in chronological order.

There really are no fillers in this box, it's just great rock and roll, and riding heavy on the hits. I think that my personal favourite will always be the songs 'Jumping Jack Flash', 'As Tears Go By' (a version only better by Jagger's ex Marianne Faithfull, who re-recorded it in 1987), and the original version of the much covered 'Ruby Tuesday', which is by far the best I've heard (although singer Melanie did herself, and the song justice with her cover).

This classic greatest hits collection really does capture the creme of the crop from over the first period, and should hopefully encourage listeners to seek out the later stuff, of which there are some good compilations covering those later years exclusively.

If you care for liner notes, please note that you don't get any here, but the foldout poster booklet carries some cool photographs of the Stones, and a larger version of the picture which graces the front cover.
on 27 December 2012
Yo! I'm loving the song Play with Fire. Who would have thought it? There's a story behind this hehe ...

When me and hubby first got together, he loved Mick Jagger (not in THAT way, in a musical way lol) but frankly, I couldn't stand him. The Stones were before my time and I couldn't even think of one song that they sang. He constantly (hubby) asked for Stones music and I constantly said I didn't want it played in the house when I was in etc. I can't stand The Rolling Stones I said often.

Come forward in time to Boxing Day 2012 and for some reason, Mick Jagger and The Rolling Stones came into conversation again (he never gives up trying! he's persistent I'll give him that) and he asked me how could I say I didn't like someone's music when I had never listened to it. Good point. I agreed, reluctantly. I asked him what I should listen to then, if he insisted and he suggested I buy an album from Amazon. I searched The Rolling Stones on Amazon to find dozens of albums. I asked him which one, he said pick any, they will all be great, Mick Jagger is a God! *yawn* So, I looked through a few and listened to samples of songs I liked the titles of.

Bizarre! I kept saying "Hey, I like this, this is great!" etc.

Cut a long and probably boring story short and I ended up buying this album. The first and only Rolling Stones album I have ever listened to or paid money for. Within minutes of it downloading I was rocking like a maniac to it, hurling myself around, laughing, singing along, saying how 'sexy' his music was and what a good mood it was putting me in *LOL* (you know what I mean!)

Its before my time this album but it is SHEER GENIUS. I am converted. I can now honestly say although Mick Jagger (the look of him) will NEVER be my thing, his voice is pure sexiness and pure rock. AWESOME.

I LOVE this album, ALL of it. I was playing it again this afternoon whilst baking corn muffins, singing along, swaying my hips, ya know .. moving like Jagger.

Very few albums do I like every single song on, but this one I do. I still say I am not a Jagger Fan and cringe when he goes on about The Rolling Stones but it was him laughing this afternoon when he came home from work to find me playing The Rolling Stones, this album.

My favourite track is Play with Fire. I also love Ruby Tuesday. I love them all.

on 18 January 2015
This is without doubt the greatest rock compilation ever released and it will never be beaten because there will never be another Rolling Stones. There are many reviews here of particular records so I will not state my opinion of them as it has already been said, but side two is in my opinion the best side of rock music ever put on to CD, and no other group comes close, and in that I include Led Zeppelin and the Beatles.
One reviewer here states that the Stones were forever in the Beatles shadow when it came to album releases, which is true to a minor extent with the release of Revolver and Sgt Pepper, but no other albums in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I love the Beatles, but they were simply NOT a rock band. Listen to all their early albums up to Rubber Sole and they sound very dated, and very "poppy" but of their time, so that fine. I also have everything they officially recorded. Hear the early Stones and you can hear that they are superior musicians, each and everyone, and had a far harder edge; that it why they sold less than the Beatles as they did not appeal to the older generation, they were simply a rock band, and England has never really embraced this music as America did.

The opening bars to Gimmie Shelter cannot, and will never be beaten for an intro. Did you know this song was blasted into the ears of the gunners on the USA planes as they flew over Vietnam dropping their bombs and slaughtering all below? A bit different to "She's Leaving Home" wouldn't you say?

If you love rock music then this is the album for you, it is very cheap and the remastered version is a joy to behold, although a slightly different intro to Sympathy For The Devi, which was never bettered than on the original vinyl Mono recording. I can promise you will not be disappointed if you buy it, and it may even get you into listening to other Stones albums, there are so many great ones to buy.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 December 2016
Decent compilation of 21 tracks with 12 (1964-67) on CD1 and 9 (1968-1971) on CD2. Given that the 2nd disc is about 6 minutes longer than the 1st, my view is that a couple of the superb singles from the mid-60s (such as 'It's All Over Now' and 'The Last Time') could easily have been included on Disc 1. Even so, many early classics are here including 'Satisfaction', 'Get off Of My Cloud', 'Nineteenth Nervous Breakdown', 'Paint It Black', 'Let's Spend The Night Together' and the lovely 'Ruby Tuesday as well as superb non-single releases such as 'Play With Fire' and 'As Tears Go By'.
CD2 covers the big hitters from 1968-1971 including 'Jumping Jack Flash', 'Honky Tonk Women', 'Brown Sugar' and the glorious 'Street Fighting Man. In addition, there are a number of classy album tracks including the primal 'Sympathy for The Devil', 'Gimme Shelter' and the pretty country ballad 'Wild Horses'; the only thing that doesn't really impress me is the 9 minute live version of 'Midnight Rambler' which is heavy going in this form. However, if you're looking for a really good compilation of early Stones material then this should serve as a great introduction to their extensive back catalogue. Highly recommended.
on 18 January 2000
They are past it now, but if any doubt creeps in as to their former prowess in creating sublime pop then this CD would be used as Exhibit A in evidence for the defence.
From the simplicity of heart of stone, the haunting sitar of Paint it Black to the sexual fury of Let's Spend The Night Together, the first CD is a great introduction to the superior second CD which portrays how close the Stones came to creating pop bliss.
The dark and inspired Sympathy for the Devil, Gimme Shelter and Midnight Rambler lead up to the the brilliance of mick/choir cross-over on you can't always gewt what you want. It also provides evidence of how much they relied (and for good reason)on the pianist Stuart Wilson.
So in summation, if this long list of superlatives manages to convey at least some of the enjoyment the CD has brought me to potential buyers then the world wil be a better place
Love and Peace
The Judge
on 14 December 1999
If you're a fan of the Stones, or just popular music in general this is a must buy. Listen to Rock and Roll as it should be - raw and unfettered. Every song is a classic from the melancholy of Paint it Black to the all out funk of Brown Sugar. Noel Gallacher has a VERY worn out copy of this somewhere in his house!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 18 February 2000
I rather prefer the greatest hits compilations of "Big Hits High Tide & Green Grass" and "Through Past Darkly" both volumes one & two for both essential definitive Stones classics CD's instead. But not bad really right here for a music listeners taste!