Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Foo Fighters Shop now Shop now

Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 April 2017
Classic album!
I like this record! I know everyone goes on about how Justine only got signed because she was dating Damon... but I have no way of assessing the truth of that, so instead - here's a thought - let's just listen to the record and see whether it's any good! That said - it's not as good as I remember it being first time around. I got it again in a fit of nostalgia and I think it will probably stay something I listen to now and then...
For me there are some weak songs on here but there are also some really good tracks ( I really like 'S.O.F.T' and 'Stutter') - and some really funny lyrics - I still love the 'in every little Honda, there may lurk a Peter Fonda' line - tee hee! As an album - it's not on my Desert Island list but it's definitely one I'd listen to again if I got rescued.
on 1 May 2004
Elastica's debut album is one of the most underrated albums of the Britpop era. They were written off because Justine was dating Damon, so everybody saw them as nothing but a bunch of cash in chancers.
From the opening track, Line Up to the brilliant final song Stutter, this album simply roars past you at real speed. 15 Songs in 38 minutes, and they manaqe to go from all out pop rock like Waking Uo and Blue, to beautifully written atmospheric tracks like Never Here and Hold Me Now.
Its sad that Justine is still seen as "Blur Indoors" by many, but this debut album is simply too good to ignore. The lyrics range from flirtatious humour like in Car Song, to the lonliness of Never Here. The songs are catchy pop/rock tracks, but unlike most Britpop it doesn't sound like yesterdays news.
Its a shame Elastica never really followed this album up, but there is enough to enjoy on this debut album to allow us to forgive them for that. Nine years on and this is still a real favourite of mine, and if you can ignore all the media snipings at Justine for having a famous boyfriend at the time the album was released then you will be listening to a seriously underrated and quite brilliant album.
Elastica were Britpop's first female fronted band, and along with the pioneering Blur and Seude, were part of the very small few to have emerged from the very birth of the era. Justine Frischmann, a former member of Suede who then became Blur's Damon Albarn's former girlfriend was the group's lead singer, and quickly hailed as Britpop royalty,

Whereas a lot of groups from the Britpop movement were influenced by the English bands who made their name in the Sixties, Elastic were inspired by the punk-rock sound from late-Seventies, and wore such influences on their sleeves. Two studio albums were released, and their eponymous debut, released in 1995, remains an essential work from the era, and still sounds great today. 'Elastica' became the fastest-selling debut in UK chart history, and contains 15 fast-paced, punchy and hectic punk tracks, tolling up to just under 40 minutes in length.

Elastica's winning formula was really very simple, consisting of catchy guitar hooks and singalong choruses, with the song's lyrics generally, like Blur, describing the feelings towards modern life, drinking, drugs, sex, and other relatable personal thoughts both good and bad. The great Damon Albarn plays keyboards on the record, and his presence can be felt throughout this which spawned the band's biggest hit singles, 'Line Up', 'Connection', and the irresistible 'Waking Up, which remains their most popular song, distend to have played frequently on radio stations.Other highlights for myself include 'Blue', 'All-Nighter', and the closing 'Stutter', which was also the first single, but there isn't a track that I'd deliberately skip past.

The 'Elastica' album is an important part in the history of Britpop, and although it's rather underrated now, deserves to be heard by anyone who enjoys this sound, which was particularly similar to contemporary bands like Sleeper and Echobelly.
on 31 August 2015
I know what you are going to say.

What happened to Elastica???
Good question.
Do you care?

This record sold 1 million, the follow up which took 5 years not so well sadly.

Its an interesting pop rock album this.
It has its stand out songs Waking Up.

Some of its very guitar riffed based.
But because they never followed it up properly its hard to get a grasp on where this band were indeed going.
Rehab it turned out.

Shame, they could of been great. I wish Justine Frichmann was not such a snob and realized that making another album might be worth while. Its not like the music industry funds independent music a whole lot now, so being famous would hardly be something she would have to tolerate.
on 29 November 2013
Well, being a 60's person I've owned a large number of great albums but this is one of the best and I listen to it very, very often. It's the musical equivalent of the Himalayas, a series of high points with a some extremely high. Waking Up and Stutter are superb. I never tire of this.
on 24 February 2003
I would give this album 10 stars if i could. It's hard to express how many times i have listened to it since i bought it when i was 12 i think, now im 21 and this album still kicks ass. Almost 10 years old and however dated the whole new wave of new wave debate was, this band, and this album can never sound dated.
Punky-fast and fun(vaseline, blue) but still raw and beautiful (smile/hold me now)my fave song on this album is stutter, as i never listened to it as it was the last sonmg on the slbum until i was 15, i was soooo angry that i had missed years of loving the best song on the album.
It sounds like nothing and everything, blondie and wire are obvious comparisons, but the humour is fantastic (car song/waking up) and heartbreak is traumatic (never here/2:1).
The only thing i regret is that there is no more elastica.
But this album and remember that britpop was a media created farce, the decent bands shone!
on 5 December 2000
This is very good indeed. "Never here" is one of the best songs I ever heard. At the first the I heard it, I kept listening to it for 45 minutes straight. And even now if I hear it, I'm hardly ever able to hear it just once. I just have to hit repeat. There are many classic songs on this albums, like "Stutter" and "Waking up". Short and powerful songs. Yes this is definitely one of the best albums I own.
on 3 June 2011
I've never been a great fan of punk (I've never bought into the whole "let's put no more effort into our playing and songwriting than if we were just picking our nose), but I suppose Elastica is the exception that proves the rule. Their astounding self-titled debut is remarkable in its brevity, and in the sheer number of sheerly brilliant hooks they manage to work into its 38 minute run time. The whole affair has a decidedly Stranglers-esque feel to it - at times it verges on the uncomfortably plagiaristic (compare Justine's delivery on the otherwise excellent 'Connection' with virtually any Stranglers song from the 70s) - but the cocked-eyebrow sense of humour, the deceptively simple layers of guitars and synthesizers and above all, the supremely catchy melodies are all elements that the band subtly graft onto a decidedly nineties aesthetic. And yet, even in its more bawdy moments, it always feels heartfelt and sincere (something the Sex Pistols never managed), at once chaotic and angular, but with a profound pop sensibility. It's a great shame this album never got the follow-up deserved, but for a brief moment in 1995 they sat next to the likes of Pulp and Blur as one of the cleverest and catchiest rock acts in Britain. A classic album of the 90's.
The album that changed it all, short snappy, infectious songs that made you sit up and go wow !!!. We had been listening to all those brit pop bands I wont bother running through, when all of a sudden in 1996 along come " Elastica" like a breath of fresh air.I mean I listen to varied musical forms, "from Hendrix to the sex pistols" " Joe Bonamassa to Johnny Cash" yet theres something about this band that grabs you too,with 15 songs from under 40 mins playing time ,theres a lot of short ones here I would like to have held on to a bit longer,but I guess this was how it was ment to be which made it different to listen to. " Line up, Annie, Conection, Vaseline, and waking up to name a few,there were some I didn't go a bundle on but all in all a definitive album of the nineties.