Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 January 2016
Bought this for my husband and he loves it. It came super quick!
This CD was released by Decca in 1997, possibly the earliest of their adagio series. I bought this CD many years ago for some particular tracts that blew me away after listening to the copy I borrowed from a friend. The tracts in question were -Bruch's Kohl Nidrei - played by Lyn Harrell, Gounod's Judex from Mors et Vita, Tchaikovsky Preghiera suite no 4 Mozartina; Puccini's Crisantemi. Every tract though is a treat in itself and the rest include Barber's adagio for strings, Berlioz Marche des pelerins, Massenet's meditation from Thais, Wagner's good Friday Music(Parsifal), Bach's Sinfonia and Mendelssohn's Adagio religioso which gives the disc its name.
I am yet to come across a repeat of most of these recordings in any of the Decca series of Adagios. It is a great and haunting CD, an adagio collection at its best.
on 10 February 2000
I picked up this CD in the borrowing library of a fine London hotel -- in all honesty, because it was the only one available whose title sounded appealing and something other than an electric rumble or elevator music. What a surprise when I listened to it and quickly became enchanted and addicted. It speaks to the soul,and the heart replies. The selection of tracks is inspired -- particularly the inclusion of Kol Nidre amidst the other more familiar pieces -- but the Mendelsohn, Bach, Puccini, Massenet and other selections (many of which were new to me) are equally intoxicating. I recommend this CD with the greatest enthusiasm. I'm ordering it from Amazon today (and no, this is not a paid ad or a review written by someone with any £ or $ stake in the album!)
on 19 March 2008
This is a beautiful album which I find uplifting and moving.
Anyone buying this could not fail to enjoy it.