Time Out
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 April 2015
I deleted the poor quality mp3 download and now listen to the vastly superior CD copy (bluetoothed to the hi-fi). In fact the Take Five track was so poor that I have a sneaking suspicion the whole lot was a vinyl transfer. The CD is much, much more musical with foot tapping swing, rhythmical walking bass lines, syncopated piano and soaring saxaphone. The compressed mp3 feels like a pastiche in comparison!
on 31 January 2016
I came across this album when I was browsing for a portable audio MP player in Japan. There were several headphones booths with sample music in a shop and I just happened to listen to one of them which had this album on and thought the music was great. So I bought it immediately to listen to the rest of the album. I have since bought another album by the same artist, Jazz Impression of Japan, which is equally good.
on 12 June 2007
My review title may seem a bit strange but for a child who was born in the late 1950s and whose childhood was mainly in the 1960s these tunes feel as familiar and comfortable as a well worn pair of slippers. I can remember all the tunes being played at some time or other on TV programmes but in particular the track "Take Five" stands out for my generation as it was used for the animated "keep the countryside tidy" campaign. Who cannot forget the startled line only deer running away from a forest fire caused by a carelessly dropped cigarette.

The music is of a high standard and although Jazz was always one type of music I could take or leave I have found myself liking more and more as I discovered where many rock groups derived their influences from.

This is an essential addition to any music lover's collection and is a great album for putting on at the end of a warm day and for listening to whilst sipping a nice cold Sauvignon Blanc (New Zealand of course!) dreaming about how great the world seemed when one was young and you know what it still is!
on 6 April 2016
This really is a fantastic version of this classic album. If your sound reproduction system is capable to do it justice, you will be rewarded with a most satisfying listening experience. So much for digital playback not being able to sound "as good" as analogue...
on 17 October 2009
I was very lucky to have seen The Quartet live just after they made this record. I dont pretend to know all the technical nuances. I just know that listening an watching The Dave Brubeck quartet always makes me feel good, they really swing on the up beat numbers and their slower pieces seem to always create a wonderful mood for the moment. For me though the Quartet without Paul Desmond is not the same. Another record by the original Quartet that is hardly ever mentioned, that for me was as good as Time Out if not better was Southern Scene. Get it I can assure you you will not be disappointed.
on 23 November 2015
I had the original EP (yes all those years ago!) with Take Five on, it was rarely off the record player at the time. Great to have this on a CD, Joe Morello's drum section with the constant Brubeck vamp under is every bit as good now as it was then!
on 15 March 2013
The DB quartet really pushed the boundaries by making an album which relied almost totally on non standard time signatures, hence the title "Time Out". The result includes two classic jazz tracks Take Five in 5/4 time and "Blue Rondo a la Turk" in 9/8 time plus other fantastic tracks. This is a classic album from the defining year in jazz, 1959, which shaped the the sonic world of jazz for many years to come.
on 3 February 2013
I bought this 'because I should' - one of those albums that frequently hits the top album lists. Now I know why - this album is simply wonderful. Even if you feel you don't like jazz, you should give this a go. Detailed melodies, a sound that may well be of its time but remains nonetheless timeless - this is one of those rare albums you feel comfortable with right away and yet delivers more and more with each listen.
on 6 August 2011
It's all original material from a bygone era (50 years ago) when the world was young and carefree, and so was I. These are studio recordings, and this collection is worth having for 'Take 5' alone.
Buying CDs is great now they're really coming down in price to make way for the download generation, who haven't got a clue what they're missing
on 24 July 2017
Curiousity on broken beat time signature prompted me to try this one out. Very impressed with the playing. First class musicians. Would want to explore more on this group's music and am looking into getting the group's greatest hits on vinyl format.