on 27 May 2015
I've been a BJH fan for a very long time, starting with when I bought the single Rock n Roll Star back in 1977. I saw them half a dozen times, and bought all their albums or so I thought!
That was until about a year ago... I'd learnt of the fact that John Lees was performing some gigs and it reignited my interest. As I surfed the net, I discovered 'River of Dreams. At the time, I could only find a copy on EBay for £50. I didn't want to empty my wallet that much!
But recently, I happened to check Amazon and spotted it at a much more reasonable price!
Although the demise of BJH was well under way, this album, their last together as 'the true BJH', is, in my opinion, the best album they released. It overtook my previous favourite, 'Welcome to the Show'. Alright, if you listen to the lyrics, it's clear they were effectively two separate bands in one, but they still managed to come up with classic sounding BJH, with strings, impact drumming and great guitar riffs. Personally, I preferred the more melodic sound of Les Holroyd, but they both produced fine work on this album.
It is a massive shame that some of the original members have passed away, and that the two main protagonists can't see a way to 'make up', but at least in this album, you do get to hear the best of what BJH could offer.
on 30 December 2014
Nice album great ballards
on 2 June 2013
Very good song selection and promptly delivered. This is in a cardboard CD box, I prefer the more robust plastic but this isn't enough to stop me enjoying the music.
on 14 May 2008
I have just received the album pictured above (from the States) and yes it has two discs, but it is NOT the 1997 album of the same name which apparently was not released in the UK.

This album is another BJH compilation, with a booklet in German and English, but it does have the track River Of Dreams from the 'proper' album. The 'proper' BJH album has a droplet of water coming up from a pool of water and the BJH butterfly above it - all in blue - with the band name in blue and the title of the album in red. This CD is available elsewhere on Amazon.co.uk (at time of writing) for just over £55 and on Amazon.de from 18 euros.

I've given three stars because this is BJH after all; one of my favourite bands.
22 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 October 2013
1997 and the final studio album of the BJH second phase, criminally not released in the UK,this is a masterpiece, If it had been released under a pseudonym I sure it would have sold better, extremely beautifully produced clear and crisp production

Again writing split 50/50 but far more collaboration is evident on some of the tracks. Four stunning tracks from john "River of Dreams""Pool of Tears""Mr E"and "Children of the Disappeared,"Mr E" being my favorite of his and "3 weeks to despair" the weakest sounding, more like a track from "caught in the light" from 93

Les's also contributes 4 stunning tracks .The opening track "Back in the Game" and "Yesterdays Heroes""So Long"and the closing track "Time of our Lives"and a further track with a hint of McCartney's wings and a bank advert coming to mind called "do you believe in Dreams"

Following this they went solo with less studio output and certainly not of this standard. Buying this as an import was more expensive at the time but well worth it. I thoughfully recommend this album, listen to the mp3 sample's then buy the cd.
on 12 May 2014
Many fans seem not to like this album, but I think the songs are exceptionally well crafted and Les Holroyd comes up with some of his stronger material. Indeed there isn't a bad track on the album with plenty of lyrical look backs to the past as on the opening track "Back in the Game" and plenty of socio-political content as on John Lees' "Children of the Disappeared" which culminates in a typical heart-rending guitar solo where Lees squeezes out every last note. On "Pools of Tears" Lees writes an elegy to lost love - "winter's got my heart." There are a couple of lightweight songs here but overall a very solid album.
on 24 May 2007
This is a superb album; just a pity it was to be their last with the 3 original members together. From the opening "Back in the game " via the Eaglesesque "River of dreams" to the final track, the album is fresh, clear and full of finesse. The only weak track for me is the ELO soundalike "Same chance for everyone" but on the whole I 've loved this over the last ten years.

It was a shame that it was only available for purchase on the continent but at least you can get your hands on it now courtesy of Amazon. If you're a BJH fan especially since the first Berlin concert era, and don't possess it, then do buy it.

The sounds are very much of an influence for Les Holroyd's version of BJH rather than that of John Lees. It's also nice to hear the harnmonies of both members adding value to the songs, plus Mel's inimitable drumming.

Well worth it!
on 13 April 2006
.....'River of Dreams' seems to be the Barclay James Harvest lost gem. Not released in the U.K this album became the bands last for Polydor and their last album as a full unit.

In my opinion this album is one of their best in a long time and often overlooked. There are some great songs here like 'Back in the game','River of Dreams', Children of the disappeared', 'Mr E' 'Yesterdays heroes' and 'Three weeks to dispair'. All well crafted to a high standard and excellent production.

This album stands up well against previous Barclay James Harvest classics 'Everyone is everybody else' and 'Time Honoured ghosts'and is a must for any BJH fan.