Format: Audio CD|Change

on 29 December 2014
I bought this recently used n it arrived very quickly & in brand new condition. Thanks zoverstocks. As for the cd... firstly I should mention that I am an avid basshead having dropped hiphop as quickly as I picked it up in 95 when I first head congonatty's junglistic man...from there I fell in love with jungle until the metal drums & bpm's increased to create drum & bass... recently having something of a look back & trying to fill a few gaps in the collection led me to get this for the track brown paper bag alone.. so I get it put it on & the first track railing comes hurtling out of the blocks & blows me away...promises of funky warps, slick lyrics & creative breaks really had me all excited thinking the rest would be more of the same...I know roni won critical acclaim topped off with a mercury music for this album but it honestly doesnt fit the bill for me... brown paper bag isnt the version I know n love (has no lyrics) which is wierd & the rest are an assortment of overthought tracks... too much percussion & not enough weight in either the vocals or basslines leave me a little disappointed still, cracking first track though
on 12 March 2007
As the first track declares: 'Yes, something of a different pace!' I can't say I enjoy all the songs on the album. The chord structure and vocals on 'Share the Fall' and 'Watching Windows' could be stronger, and 'Mad Cat' is two songs: one that is horrible and difficult to listen to overlaid onto a wonderful drum beat. But forget all that, the other songs are inventive and fantastic and 'Destination' is probably one of the greatest songs in any genre. I listen to the Hospital Records podcast and unfortunately modern drum and bass has not been able to surpass this tour de force, moving too far away from the original instruments. Again, as the second line of 'Railing' says: 'Fresh, into 97 make haste'. 1997 was a good year for music.
on 20 April 2001
There are certain albums that, whether you like the genre or not, you have to have in your collection. Colours, by Adam F in one such album...New Forms, is another. Unmistakably Roni Size, this album has something for everybody, and I've yet to meet someone who doesn't like at least 1 track on the album, such is the diversity of the production. Stop reading this and click the Buy it now button. UNLESS that is, you can track down, and affod, the Americain Import version. A double CD version that is, quite simply, beyond comparisson.
on 21 August 2002
Roni Size took off in a big way after the release of this album. I remmeber hearing "Brown Paper Bag" for the first time and thinking drum and bass shouldn't sound this good. People have over played the jazz element on this album. It is very jazzy, in places and when it needs to be, but it is also soulfull and funky.
To often drum and bass albums go off in one direction. Even other classic records such as Bukem's logical progression have similar a sound to them and as good as the tracks are, they lack variety. What Represents managed to do so well was develope a proper album and not a compilation. The opening onslaught of Railing energetically flows into Brown Paper Bag, Hero's is more soulfull and chilled and tracks like Morse Code follow, Adam F's style, a fuller bassy route. The real stand out track is "Share The fall" it fuzes jazz funk into drum and bass in away no other producer has ever managed, it rumbles and drips out of the speakers. If you ever get a chance to see the live set Roni and co did on Latter with Jules Holland, check the version of Share The Fall. Like many other of the legendary drum and bass producers Roni's recent stuff has been a little disappointing but fear not this album is good enough to last a life time.
on 27 April 2016
The dawn of a Drum n Bass' era. It began with "Railing", a mix between hip hop and DnB, continue with the hit "Brown Paper Bag", and ended with "Destination". 13 tracks of pure, classic and old school Drum & Bass. In my opinion, the second best album of Roni Size. The first is "In The Mode". Four Stars on five deserved!!
on 7 March 2005
New Forms (Reprazent) is the legendary jungle/drum & bass album released by DJ Roni Size and the full cycle label back in 1997. With the obvious exception of LTJ Bukem and Goldie this was the first official offering of what has become to be known as 'intelligent drum & bass' and what a classic, pioneering album it was. And still is. Nearly ten years on and New Forms still provides deep, intelligent, atmospheric drum & bass listening and from a personal perspective takes me right back to the teenage years of the 1990's. The album begins with the energetic 'Railing', the better known 'Brown Paper Bag' (non vocal mix), the AMAZING 'New Forms' with wicked vocals provided by guest 'Bahamadia', the futuristic sounds of 'Let's Get It On' & 'Digital' before progressing to the euphorically uplifting 'Heroes' & 'Share The Fall' with all tracks retaining that drum & bass element necessary to truly convey this genre of electronic music....The fact that Roni Size recieved the Mercury Music Prize Award that year for ' New Forms' basically sums up the critical acclaim that this CD rightly generated. It really is a classic that will go down in history within the drum & bass / electronic / digital scene.....Furthermore, for all those open minded music lovers who can appreciate music not specifically made by 'real' instruments I would definetely reccommend this for ambient, intelligent beats.....Much respect to the one & only Mr Roni Size.
on 7 July 2000
I got this album at the age of 11 (three years ago), and ever since I've been recommending it to people. It totally deserved the mercury award 97 and roni has lved up to the standard of music which flows from his (and my) hometown, Bristol BUY IT NOW to experience the amazing sounds and breakbeats of Roni and Reprazent.
on 4 October 2015
I had this some years ago on a cassette before I bought the CD from Amazon. New forms for me represents one of the seminal drum and bass albums and for me little else has lived up to it since perhaps with the exception of Goldie's Timeless. It's been great to revisit it after all this time.
on 1 December 2013
Soulful edgy and purposeful. This has all the marks of great Bristol production. Up tempo and direct drum and bass with deep basslines and soulful lyrics. It has a fresh confident feel of Top D&B and deserves to be in every collection. Only Roni Size could knock out this baby like a wack from Tyson it delivers full thrust. It will be a badass cd for any party of intelligent d&b fans.

Well produced, effective and uniquely Bristol
on 24 August 2001
Having listened to this album in ragged doses for the past four years, I finally went out and bought it. Although Roni Size has moved on since '97, it still sounds beautiful, with spooky riffs and an static, electric atmosphere that draws from other Bristol influences but still sounds unique. 'Brown Paper Bag' sends chills down my spine, I used to play it in the car when my friends and I were coming back from clubbing. Check the video for that song too, I love it when the guy is frozen in mid-air as he's about to dunk it. I could go on, but safe to say that this album demonstrates that although we can't beat other nations at football or cricket, we kill them musically.