Customer reviews

Crazy on the Weekend
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 1 November 2007
I've had this album for years since reading an end of year review in 'Mojo'. It is always in my top 5 all time album list and is just so very fresh every time I hear it. The voice! Soulful and desperate.

I'd say buy this album and you won't regret it.

Peter
on 18 November 2004
This is the only album that has ever had the strength to prompt me to spend time writing a review. I spotted Sunhouse playing "Monkey Dead" on "Later with Jools Holland" years ago and was struck by the melancholy and subdued violence of Gavin Clarkes voice. I'd like to recommend a track but they're all equal in strength and I'm in complete agreement with the other reviewers here that the ability of an album to provoke questions from casual listeners is reason enough to get your money out and buy a copy.
This album is timeless and unique. These days that is a hard statement to make.
on 8 November 2011
This is an album I bought in the late 1990s after hearing the title track played on the radio. I can't remember which radio station but I do remember vividly stopping the car, turning up the radio and scrabbling around for a pen and a piece of paper to write down the artist name and album title.

Seldom a week goes by when I don't dig this CD out and give it a good airing. It's been a fixture on my iPod Touch since I owned one and I wouldn't sell my copy for any amount of money.

The feel of this album is quite dark and melancholic but not so much that it becomes maudlin or overtly sentimental. The biggest disappointment is that this band didn't make it past the first album - but sometimes a flame burns brightest before it's extinguished. All I can say is that, in my opinion, the world is a better place for having this album.

Buy it, download it or borrow a copy from a friend - you won't regret it....
on 4 September 2013
I bought this after seeing TwentyFourSeven on its release. It is an outstanding,albeit melancholy album. No fillers, every track hits the mark. A real shame Sunhouse broke up and Gavin Clark went to Clayhill, because Clayhill's output doesn't come close to 'Crazy on the Weekend'. (Although 'If this is love' , a track by Gavin Clark on his own, is very good...I think it is on the Romeo Brass soundtrack).

BUY BUY BUY you won't be disappointed.
on 22 May 2012
Bought this just after it came out thanks to a compilation CD freebie from UNCUT/MOJO (I've forgotten which). Now on my iPod (I also have the CD still) and listen to it when I'm feeling v introspective. Great - albeit at times rather depressing lyrics ('Good Day to Die') - this should be much more widely available. Also didn't realise that the band featured on Shane Meadows' '24/7'; must go and watch it again!
on 16 February 2010
This album is 'old' 1998 - how did I miss it???
It's one of those albums which every collection should include - mellow, thoughtful and reflective = track 3 chasing the dream is brill and the lead track 'crazy on the weekend' is just pure pleasure - buy this album and listen on a long lazy hazy road trip - and enjoy.
on 27 June 2009
My favorite album, but I can't listen to it when I'm feeling sad. It's perfectly crafted and keeps getting better the first 10 or so listens, when it levels out and just leaves you feeling gutted but awed.
on 27 February 2012
A forgotten classic, quite stunning. Imagine what the follow up would have been like. Also selected by Mary Portas on Desesrt Island Discs
on 10 March 2014
great album. First head it at Bristol show and liked it then. Well recommended. Wonder why this band didnt release a few more albums.
on 22 January 2013
It's all true. This is simply one of the greatest LPs ever recorded. Time, not sales figures, will vindicate Sunhouse.