Format: Audio CD|Change

on 4 May 2008
This is the Gloria Gaynor compilation to buy. It contains all her major hits in their original and in most cases full-length versions - I Will Survive, Never Can Say Goodbye, I Am What I Am - plus all her minor hits, such as Honey Bee, Let me know (I have The Right), How High the Moon, Casanova Brown, and All I Need Is your Sweet Lovin'.

Gloria's first album contained the first ever segued disco hit sequence, allowing for non-stop dancing in clubs - the tracks were Honey Bee, Never Can Say Goodbye and Reach Out I'll Be There. It took up the entirety of one side of the album, and is reproduced here in full length over tracks 2 to 4. This proved popular in discos all over the world, and was copied by subsequent Disco artists, but it was Gloria who did it first!

The lyrics of her best songs were empowering to those who felt oppressed in their lives and/or relationships, so Gloria naturally became a gay icon. She celebrated this in her explicity gay anthem, I Am What I Am, which was also one of her biggest hits. Whilst Gloria embraced God from the early 1980s onwards, she refused to castigate her gay fans when asked if her gay following caused her conflict, unlike Donna Summer was later alleged to have done.

Unfortunately Gloria's later career became somewhat over-shadowed by Donna Summer's career, but this set represents her very best work. Recommended.
on 6 June 2013
My CD collection was missing a copy of Gloria's great hit, "I Will Survive" and I was recommended to buy this album as the perfect way of filling that gap. Well it has certainly done that! It is a terrific album, with not one, but two versions of the hit track I wanted, together with disco mixes of Gloria's best known hits. I put on this CD shortly after it arrived and was soon bopping happily around the house in full disco-era mode!

This CD would be a great buy for anyone wanting a genuine feel-good party album, one which would absolutely guarantee that everyone would be up and dancing - and probably singing along, too! A smashing album and a great buy!
on 2 April 2013
I was asked by a friend to search for this track by Gloria Gaynor: I will survive, in the original format. i.e. not in a disco format. This because my friend sings with a group which was learning from this song with the music. As far as I can tell this is the original track as was in the hit parade all of those years ago, and so my friend Sylvia was satisfied with what she got.
on 11 November 2007
Why do the gay community get to claim Gloria Gaynor as one of their icons? People immediately assume that you're gay if you're listening to Gloria, which I don't think is fair. Gloria made some fantastic disco/soul music, music that should be open for all to appreciate, without any prejudice. Sorry, I had to get that out of the way. "I Will Survive: the Best of Gloria Gaynor" is as good as any other compilation out there. All the classics are here; "I Will Survive", "Honey Bee", "Reach Out, I'll Be There" and her best track, the Jackson 5 cover "Never Can Say Goodbye". Gloria's soulful voice is matched by the amazing music, although be weary when you buy a Gloria Gaynor compilation. Gloria recorded some truly awful albums in the 80's, and some incredibly horrific re-recordings of her hits. Many compilations don't say this on the cover, so be warned.

Highlights: "I Will Survive", "Reach Out, I'll Be There", "Honey Bee" and "Never Can Say Goodbye".
on 29 November 2013
Having researched, that there are many 'copies' of these songs - this is an original CD - excellent party purchase
on 9 October 2015
Hi,thank you ever so much,it is a beautiful album,as I'm a huge,Gloria Gaynor fan! Once again,thank you. Quality service and cd. Hugh Crumlish
on 7 February 2015
Great singer and some wonderful music.
on 11 November 2014
i love the song never can say goodbye my faverite
on 23 August 2014