Format: Audio CD|Change

on 9 March 2000
How good can an album sound without a vocalist? EAT THIS! The Extremist is perhaps Satch's crowning achievement from the commercial and upbeat "Friends" to the fast paced "Motorcycle Driver" and the title track. Play this album all the way though and up loud in the car and ROCK the night away!
on 27 January 2007
If I picked up a guitar, I wouldn't know whether to beat it, eat it or strum it - but that in no way stops me from enjoying this extraordinary guitar-fest. You don't really even have to like Hard Rock to like this.

Quite apart from being an obvious talent on guitar, he also writes fantastic tunes, dripping with melodies, and he takes you through the whole range on this album. Some of it is in your face, some of it just glides, and some of it is fairly sentimental.

Of course he can shred it, but he can also make a guitar sing like no other player I know. This album is not meant to challenge a listener by forcing technical brilliance down your throat. It is simply a beautifully produced album, full of great flowing rock instrumentals, and played by an extraordinary player. You as a listener can choose which of the above you want to hear out of it.

To rate it as his best would do a disservice to several of his other equally brilliant releases, but it is certainly up there. Whichever angle you look at it from, this is a fabulous album.
on 6 November 2010
Mates of mine have been banging on about Joe Satriani for years but I have never really bothered. I did have a brief Al Di Meola phase but I am the sort of person who tires very easily with instrumentalist albums so I have always given 'The Satch' a body-swerve presuming it would no more than a display of shredding and self indulgent fret-work. However, as a life-long Sammy Hagar fan I bought the Chickenfoot album the day it was released and had my first Satriani experience ....and wow what an impact - this guy can play a guitar in a way that sounds awesome without going OTT. A colleague loaned me this CD to get a taster and boy what a stonker of an album. I particularly like 'Friends' and 'Summer Song' but have to confess there isn't a weak track on show here. It has inspired me to start buying up the Joe Satriani back-catalogue.

Learn by my mistakes ...not all guitar instrumentalists are needless show-offs. This is a great album and I regret not taking the hint back in the 90's.
on 19 June 2002
this album is full of classics that all satch fans will have heard of."summer song","friends" and"the extremist" are known by all satch fans but unfortuently songs such as "war","why" and "tears in the rain" are sometimes over shadowed by these classics and unrightly so."tears in the rain"is played on the acoustic guitar showing that satch can play any style.this album is up beat and is satch at his best. this album outways any previous albums for its sheer compositional excellence.this is to be put at the top of your cd pile to be played over and over.
on 31 March 2007
This album really is Satch at his best. Whoever says he has no soul should check out the haunting "cryin", which is one of his two best ballads in my view. The guy is just an inspiration to me, as he can do it all and he remains so humble with it. If I had a tenth of his ability i'd die a happy man. The mix of tracks on this album is superb and it sounds fresh despite being 15 years old. All those dissing Satch should clear off as he is numero uno in my book. If you love instrumental rock you must buy this. In fact I might even prefer it to Surfing with the Alien, his more famous release.
on 27 February 2007
This is a fantastic album. Friends is one of my favorite tracks of all time because it has the ability to take you anywhere when you listen to it. it is a perfect instrumental guitar track. The rest of the album is also excellent. Most notable are: The extremist, New blues, Summer Song and Motorcycle Driver. its a great album to listen to anywhere but best played on headphones on in a dark room!
on 9 September 2002
This being my first hearing of Satriani I was rather critical, but after listening to "War" (and most of the other tracks for that matter!) I was completely gobsmacked. Magnificent guitar-work, ranging from 80's Heavy Metal style to 60's accoustic, to 90's rock. The best guitar work since Hendrix I've heard. Could do with some lyrics, though. This is a minor concern, though, considering the CD is perfect in every other respect.
If like me,you are in a constant search for really outstanding, beautiful, melodic tunes then this album will come close, as Why, Cryin are the best music i have ever heard. Also Blue Sky Happiness is good too.
on 26 January 2009
Read Phar(t)'s one star review and come to exactly the opposite conclusions of everything he says. Then you will have a small idea of how brilliant this album is.
1212 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 June 2013
First heard Joe Satriani at Wembley Arena last year at the Marshals 50 year celebrations. Got hooked and have now collected all of his studio albums.