• Dry

Customer reviews

Dry
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 29 December 2016
I came to P J Harvey via "Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea", then was puzzled by "Uh Huh Her" and "White Chalk". A musician not afraid to ditch formula, though for me the rocky side - of which there is plenty here - is more accessible. I was captivated by "Dress" after seeing a video of a great live performance, so bought this to seek it out in context.

It's over 20 years old and to my perhaps ageing ears still sounds fresh. It's got real conviction, both musically and lyrically, with PJ sounding incredibly strong and in control (and only 23 when it came out!). Even if that conviction does including putting the dirge-speed "Oh My Lover" at the top of the album - it's hardly a barnstorming opener! Some interesting themes in the lyrics too - the dynamics of relationships and how desire can misfire or be misunderstood. "Dress" - we've all been there.

While slightly alarmed at how old this is (and, therefore, how old I am), I'm really enjoying it.
on 26 November 2017
This is a truly fantastic PJ Harvey album. Not easy to get into at first, but my experience with this artist and many other 'difficult' artists, is that the immediate inaccessibility is rewarded (by and large), with repeated listening and patience. As a PostScript to what I have just alluded to, any serious music fans who are not familiar with Miss Harveys back catalogue, I strongly recommend 'stories from the city, stories from the sea'. Excellent album with the perfect balance of classic PJ Harvey introspection interspersed with some 'rock' highlights. This incredibly talented lady can rock with the very best. Getting back to 'dry'. Strongly recommended, but only if you are of a patient persuasion. Radio friendly it is not!
One person found this helpful
on 6 January 2018
Snabb leverans med bra kvalitet på produkten!
on 24 June 2017
Great
on 14 March 2018
First heard this album soon after its release and have been a fan ever since. It's raw and broody and every track is excellent.
on 27 April 2016
A classic! PJ has never bettered the raw energy on this debut album, which is saying something as she's knocked out some genuine corkers over the years.
on 22 August 2017
Excellent
on 21 May 2017
Fantastic service and great CD!!
on 15 April 2013
one of the classics that i listened to over and over.up tempo and low , highs and lows, this is my second copy.moody but strong this album has genius written all over it.
on 1 October 2015
I love PJ Harvey's music.