Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 December 2007
Enjoyable surround mix, which reveals some synth lines I hadn't noticed before. This brings a freshness to some songs that now sound a bit flat in simple stereo. Not always what I'd have put on the extra channels - maybe missed a trick or two here - but this is a subjective opinion, and I'm very glad they've been done at all. It was worth the effort guys.

My only complaint, and this is almost enough to lose a star, is the amount of songs on the SACD/CD - 12, not the 16 that were on CD. Was there not enough space (unlikely, I have SACDs that last much longer) or is it some obscure copyright reason concerning the format?

However, the four missing tracks are on the DVD - and remixed to surround sound as well (DTS and Dolby). Why complain? Well, my main Hi-Fi is in my bedroom - along with my computer; it's in effect my office - and the surround system is in the lounge, along with the TV, so playing the SACD/CD disc on my CD player I'd only get the 12 tracks. I have the original CD with 16 tracks so it is not a problem, but a simple question - why the discrepancy?

The disc redeems itself with a very interesting documentary - in widescreen, yaayyy! - which interviews all the main players including Daniel Miller of Mute, an unsung hero in British electronic music development.
on 4 November 2014
Strong debut album by Depeche Mode only let down by one or two sub standard twee tracks so docked one star.

Still it's a very strong debut containing the brilliant single New Life, but their second album A Broken Frame is even better.

Very Highly Recommended nonetheless, it's very nearly an early synth pop masterpiece.
on 20 June 2010
ooh..oooh..ooohh.. the complete ecstacy of this powerful little package; a work totally reborn in the surround format. All the songs have been given new life, excuse the pun, and deliver a fresh aural assault. I didnt think the original album could be bettered, but here it is, resplendent in a cornucopia of formatting, and even a mini documentary thrown in. For what you get the price is outstanding, well done amazon... many DM fans, and the band themselves, tend to shun this mainly vince clarke penned vehicle; but in my eyes it should be celebrated as a tour de force in synth pop, it is of its time and even today stands up well against any modern pretenders to the synth pop throne, and admit it who doesnt join in when Just cant get enough is rolled out on the radio or at a disco...

There are many who cant get into the surround treatment of classic, or contemporary albums,but for me it has only offered an enhanced dynamic, a true audiophile joy.. each to their own, but i relish the opportunity to immerse in the 5.1 soundscape.. I can also recommend the other DM albums in these formats.. go on you know you want to... mmmmmmmmm
on 29 April 2010
So this is where it all began. Speak and Spell certainly has a lot a really good material, mixed with some fairly embarrassing songs. Naggingly tedious tracks like 'Boys Say Go' and 'What's Your Name?', as well as the boys' attire in the 'Just Can't Get Enough' video, gave a (possibly??) misleading impression that Depeche Mode were an openly gay synth group. It must have just been a phase.

Aside from the aforementioned songs, there were elements of the dark edge that Martin Gore would hone when he became chief song writer after Vince Clark's departure. This darker and whispered rendition of 'Photographic' is far more satisfying than the earlier schizo-disco version released on the Some Bizzare compilation album. 'Puppets' is another along the same dark sound, but retains and attractive melody. Bridging both worlds is the excellent 'Nodisco'. Some of the the aggressively bouncy tracks have retained appeal over these years, including the big hit 'New Life', as well as the misleadingly titled 'I Sometimes Wish I Was Dead'. That song is full of twee keyboards with no talk of death, and may have been an in-joke contradiction between song and title. And I have to say that I just CAN get enough of 'Just Can't Get Enough'. I cannot stand this song in any manner, and it's does not deserve the longevity that it has received. Awful, simply awful. A couple of the best songs from this period were left for B sides, and stuck on the DVD. 'Ice Machine' may be my favorite song from this era, but 'Shout' comes close.

The remastering on this CD is excellent. It is not too loud or compressed, and had not been tweaked in any way that causes unwanted results. An excellent sounding product.
on 6 January 2010
Depeche Mode performed at my secondary school in 1981,
I found it hard to live with the volumn of sound but
throughout the last 35 years they're my favourite group
and I've got all their albums.
This album is awash with catchy songs and immaculate
timing of rhythm changes (a trademark of Depeche Mode
through there entire history).
All but two of the songs are written by Vince Clarke
before he jumped ship to create Yazoo.
Some of the best tracks are 'New Life' - 'Puppets' -
'Nodisco' - 'Photographic' & 'Tora Tora Tora'.
Even though it's 2010 now, no other group or album
has a sound like 'Speak & Spell'.
If you want to hear something unique and special
from an age before mobile phones,MP3 players,Laptops
IPods and todays technically advanced music recording
equipment then I recommend this album.
Press your order button 'ANY SECOND NOW' !
on 19 March 2012
If you are a fan of DM or electric 80's, this is a must-buy. It has some of my favourite songs on but after a while can be a bit repetitive. Although I really wanted this album to complete my collection of DM, it won't be the most listened to!
on 6 March 2001
This album is a must for anybody who likes Depeche Mode but sometimes it can get a little too happy in places ( Just Can't Get Enough and What's your name( if tracks could be shot I'd shoot What's your name as it gets on my nerves ))
Otherwise you won't have too many complaints .
There are some dark moments in the album . The Martin Gore penned Tora tora tora is about a nightmare in which he had where a girl took his love and died that day . It says that she " played a skeleton " while he " played an American ". Despite being the best track on the album it shows Martin had a bit of getting used to with the song writing lark !
Another great one on here is Any second now . Penned by Vince Clarke but sung by Martin it stands out for it's beauty .
It is an album you have to buy whether your a DM fan or not . It is a happy record despite a few songs but those die hard fans like myself would be hoping for something more deeper and all we get is some scraps .
on 9 February 2009
This was their first album but it sounds more like Erasure and Yazoo because most of the songs are written by Vince Clarke. There was one track I did not like. I was also disappointed that 'Photograph' was not the version I am familiar with. It is one of my favourite tracks ever. I'll have to get it on MP3.
on 30 July 2010
Epic debut album. Epic 80's ablum. Epic tracks. Epic album cover. Epic band. Everything about this is epic.
on 11 December 2013
My husband ordered this and was very pleased with both the cd and bonus dvd. Songs still as good as ever!