Customer reviews

on 14 February 2014
I last heard this over 20 years ago on an LP of my father's, and I've tried on and off since then to find it on CD. Recently I heard it'd been re-released, and I got it at a pretty decent price on Amazon.

Well, what can I say? It's still amazing all these years later. Others have given a much more detailed breakdown of the music, history of the group and the players. What I want to say is simply that this is a fantastic album, and if you're even slightly tempted ... then go for it!
on 5 June 2010
I first bought this album soon after it was released as an LP. Subsequently I sold my record player and bought the CD version. Guess what? After all these years (more than 25) I now have a new record player and the old LP is sounding as good as ever, if not better! What more can you say? This is a fabulous selection of music with an amazing variety of types of songs. Well worth buying, but especially the LP version if you can find it.
on 31 October 2001
A very musical album, which while a slightly eclectic mix of traditional folk is fun and at times hauntingly beautiful and holds together perfectly to form a great album. Well worth buying for the piece "Ceol Bhriotanach" alone, with its masterful pipe and harp. Also owning the original vinyl version I could find little fault with the CD's reproduction. If you do not own a chieftain's album you could do a lot worse than to start here.
on 9 November 2010
I lost my original Chieftains 5 years ago so this is 'hello old friend' for me. It is full of wonderful haunting melodies and is a great album.
on 24 November 2009
The best Chieftans CD ever. Lie back on the sofa on a Sunday morning and just relax and enjoy.
on 4 October 2014
I bought this on vinyl in 1975 when it first came out , it still sounds fresh today and is my favourite Chieftains recording
on 7 August 2013
The Chieftains 5 came out when I was a teenager and developing a lifelong interest in folk music (well ALL music actually). I bought the LP and loved it. Saw the Chieftains play some of this at Glastonbury - fab u lous.
Still have LP but bought the CD to widen my listening choices. The music is as good as ever but for the price I thought the lack of sleeve notes was disappointing.
on 22 February 2015
I first bought this on vinyl in its year of release (1975) just after I finished at university. I subsequently bought a number of other Chieftains albums, but still reckon that this one presents the best mix of great Celtic music. Having recently re-discovered the vinyl, I thought it time to buy the CD (mainly for the car!). Recommended.
on 20 November 2015
Having looked for some time for a good Chieftains album, I have not been disappointed! Great to listen to with all the sounds that make the Chieftains who they are!
on 26 January 2013
Todavía no se ha podido superar el sonido del LP, en mi caso la mitad del disco se escucha como si estuvieras en vivo, pero la otra mitad tiene un ruido insoportable que te ace aborrecer el disco. Si obtienes un disco en perfecto estado simepre que lo escuches pensaras que estuvistes en la grabación del disco