Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 June 2000
Possibly the best album these 'lads' have ever produced. From the opening clashing guitar of 'Children...' all the way through to the melancholic close of 'Two Chevrons', the production quality may be awful... but it's an awfulness that is perfected. Full of gut-laughs, surrealism, poignancy and obscure references to places only seen by the locals or bands on tour. And you'll be humming the chorus to 'Four Skinny Indie Kids' for weeks, I guarantee it! ;o)
on 25 November 2013
The music is very basic. They keep singing about people I've never heard of. When I say singing I'm not sure you could really call it singing. My family and I have had to listen to this album for hours on end driving through France on holiday.
We are getting sick of it, but it does give my husband endless pleasure. He laughs a lot and tries to get us to sing with him. We sometimes do, it is catchy in a football chant sort of way, but I do feel a little bit sick and empty afterwards.
on 10 March 2005
Although not having the polish of some of the albums that followed this is still a formidable piece of work.
Containing all the magical ingredients we've come to expect from any HMHB offering, this is jam-packed full of witticisms, belly laughs, nods to other musical influences, cutting insults (Turn a blind eye) and more than a couple political broadsides (Is this new labour Mr Blair? - Old Lady labelled me...etc).
Don't forget their ability to hit a out a good rock tune as well as "Secret Gig" proves and that's leaving aside the singalongs like "Moody Chops" and "Split Single......"
Great stuff.
on 13 June 2011
I got this because I like sleeves which parody the Beatles.No doubt Half Man Half Biscuit are clever satirists with no respect for anything but its over my head to be honest-the Bonzo Dog Band or John Cooper Clarke seem more direct at this sort of thing