Customer reviews

on 17 May 2001
I challenge you to buy this CD and not play it most evenings of the week... and no, I'm not linked to the record company! It's addictive 'feelgood' stuff, this. Although every artist is different, the CD as a whole creates a gentle upbeat mood. Yup, all the tracks are in Portuguese - and yet, after a while, they all feel like old friends. Clever folks these Cape Verdeans. Even with the tempo varying slightly, as a CD it really flows - even on 'random play'. I'm keen to explore the rest of the Putumayo collection - and I'm so smitten with this, I fear I'll be disappointed. This CD really grows on you. Not as in-your-face as some Brasilian records, and not too soulful to send you to sleep - a wonderful middle ground. Bla bla - you're better off listening to the thing! And it's even got a track by the wonderful Cesaria Evora. Enough said.
on 20 June 2001
My favourite album of World Music of 2001. Combining sounds from Brazil, Portugal, the Carribean and India all in a lush lyrical, pure, jazzy mix. Really grows on you after a few times listening. Uplifting, vibrant, sometimes beachside music with a soul and atmosphere that smells home made and tells of personal involvement in its creation.
on 22 December 2008
I'm not sure how Cape Verdean music has managed to evade me until now, but once discovered, there is no turning back from it. I usually take a handful of CD's on holiday but on our recent trip to Tenerife, I somehow managed to forget to pack any, except for this album. It was played every night - the spirit of Cape Verdean music permeated our consciousness and has since remained there. This album is a perfect introduction to the genre and has acted as a catalyst to explore more - great artists such as Cesaria Evoria, Tito Paris, Maria Alice. It has also been a springboard to discover other Putumayo albums. There's so much great music out there other than mainstream western, to which we have become so conditioned.
Although generally upbeat, almost a gentler version of Carribean, there is an underlying sadness and a longing for a homeland which underlines most of this music. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
on 22 June 2005
This has to be one of the best sounds for balmy summer evenings - effortless music and a totally uplifting sound. Glorious for winding down and chilling out.
on 29 September 2008
This varied collection of songs from Cape Verdean musicians is one of my all time favourites. It goes wonderfully with the setting sun on a warm summer evening, but can give you that same feeling when the sky is grey and the rain is falling. Enjoy with ice and a slice of lemon!
on 25 January 2015
Ok, relaxed, sort of Afro, sort of Latin without being brilliant. Mellow and listenable enough.
on 5 November 2014
Been to the islands... enjoyed the music style special to Cape Verde, this is for you.