The Hurting
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 October 2014
This album evokes so many memories of school back in the eighties that it has become my album of choice whenever I get the need to satisfy the strange nostalgia fix that I get once in a while. I remember the day that I bought "The Hurting" on vinyl which featured the same white cover as the cd does, and the much used cliche that the smell of the vinyl and brand new album cover was irresistible applies. I can still remember exactly the place (Andy 's Records, Ipswich), weather (overcast), day (Saturday), the fact that it was early in the afternoon, and also that like every other record that I bought, I was paranoid about not creasing the cover and treated the purchase like it was gold. But enough of all that.

For me, this was the best debut album by any band in the 1980's and after all these years it still sounds fresh and unique. The singles from the album "Mad World, Pale Shelter" and "Change" bring back so many memories to me and though I may be biased, they have stood up extremely well over thirty years later. In fact, I remember that the only track I struggled with as a teenager on the album was "The Prisoner", a track that wasn't as easy on the ear as the others - though I never skipped it. I always thought that in particular "Memories Fade" and "Watch Me Bleed" would have made hugely successful singles given the chance.

The tracks on the cd sound fantastic and although I am usually opposed to tampering with original releases, the bonus tracks here are excellent and help round off a brilliant package. A twelve page liner includes three pages of musings from Curt and Roland regarding the songs on the cd. Lyrics from the songs on the original album have been produced in the original typeface that was on the vinyl that I bought over thirty years ago. The lyrics by the way are remarkably mature considering that this was a debut album.

I recommend "The Hurting", my album of choice for nostalgia, to everyone.
22 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 November 2014
Tears for Fears are, without question, on of the best British bands... ever! Music trends come and go but having just purchased the blue ray version of the album, I have come to realise that time cannot erase genius. If I listen to other 80's music it sounds very dated and of its time but not The Hurting. In fact, Tears for Fears wrote, sang and produced some of the most poignant and thought evoking music of the 20th century. The appropriately named, The Hurting, demonstrates the pain and suffering, mostly of children, throughout. Something in their past perhaps? Roland Orzabal and Curtis Smith were indeed a music force to be reckoned with in the 80's but how many bands can still sound so good 30 odd years on?!! It is my opinion that they were always under rated, never quite recieving the glory that was greatly deserved for their many musical masterpieces. The sound track of the album, The Hurting, is a very great favourite of mine, bringing back some memories of my own. But rather than being a sad song, for me it has made me realise that I am not alone! 'Memories fade but the scars still linger'...how true that is, another great Tears for Fears lyric.
on 30 September 2014
Tears For Fears original first album.

Still stands up well over 30 years later - Mad World and Pale Shelter are simply stunning.

Make sure you get the remastered double album version with the extra Demos and Rarities.

One of the very best 80's groups that still sounds good and modern even all this while later.

Very Highly Recommended.
on 27 February 2015
Absolutely brilliant song from the 80s, released in many different forms , coloured vinyl, different picture sleeves, keep buying vinyl ,sounds so much better! Although there was no picture with this ad I bought this and when it arrived it was in mint condition and blue vinyl, excellent, arrived in quick time too and a good price
on 27 November 2013
Loved the original on vinyl, loved the CD, loved the remastered version so had to have this little beauty. Totally happy with the versions, remixes, extras etc. Bit steep price wise, but what the heck, you're only here once and it is, without doubt one of my favourite albums of all time. Go on....you know you want to
on 10 February 2014
Tears For Fears - one of the greatest bands ever. The Hurting - one of the greatest albums ever. This box set combines all of the album with all of the B sides, re-mixes, 12" versions, radio session versions etc and a great booklet to accompany it. This is a great buy for any TFF fan and a great introduction to one of the best synth bands of the early 80s.
on 19 September 2017
Had this on vinyl when first released. Way ahead of its time in the subject matter it was dealing with...intelligent, infectious pop.
on 1 January 2018
By far their best album.fast delivery
on 17 February 2018
Took me right back to Leeds poly 1983 fab band so underrated!! the hurting is a masterpiece ( in my opinion )
on 8 October 2017
Taking me back to the 80's in true TFF style.