Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 July 2017
The music is somehow warm, optimistic, swinging and jazzy. Nice cd. Recommended.
on 23 September 2017
Great cd with some memorable tracks and arrived before due date, thank you.
on 29 August 2017
All very perfect
on 15 August 2017
Smooth.
on 6 April 2017
thk you
Diana's previous collection of very romantic love songs had been so successful that the formula was repeated. However, there is nothing formulaic about the quality of this album, which is every bit as good as Love scenes.
Again, the songs were chosen from the Great American songbook. Many of the songs were originally American hits in the twenties and thirties, including Let's face the music and dance (Fred Astaire), Devil may care (Glenn Miller), Let's fall in love (Eddy Duchin), When I look in your eyes (Hunter Rodeheaver and Virginia Asher), I've got you under my skin (Ray Noble), I can't give you anything but love (Cliff Edwards, Ben Selvin and Johnny Hamp all had huge hits with it), I'll string along with you (Ted Fio Rito), East of the sun (Tom Coakley), Pick yourself up (Fred Astaire) and Do it again (Paul Whiteman).
Some of these songs, like Let's face the music and dance, were originally more up-tempo, but here they are slowed right down, making them sound fresh and exciting. The original artists are mostly unknown these days - only Glenn Miller and Fred Astaire remain widely recognisable - but Diana and others are doing an excellent job of keeping their music alive and relevant to a modern generation.
on 11 April 2015
More atmospheric tracks all good stuff,
on 2 March 2002
'When I Look In Your Eyes' is a classy, well produced album which shows off the skills of Diana Krall and her trio beautifully. As with most of Diana's albums (apart from the latest Krall album, 'The Look of Love' which only contains slow paced tunes) the album has just the right mix of ballads, up-tempo, and mid-tempo tracks. Whatever they play, they play it well and with confidence.
The songs themselves are all glorious, although I can't decide whether I prefer Ms Krall singing ballads or swing, as I think she deals with both styles equally well. My favourite track on the album though is 'String along with you' which is am absolutely superb and utterly moving rendition of the love song.
The addition of strings to Diana Krall's trio adds more romance to this album than her previous CD's, although you can't help but feel the orchestra takes away a little of the intimate feel of the trio recordings. Not all the songs have the addition of the orchestra, and the ones without are definately the most swinging numbers on the album.
This is a great showcase of Diana Krall's talents as a singer, although for the purist jazz fan then I would suggest you perchase one of Krall's earlier recordings, such as 'Stepping Out' which have far more swing and Krall plays a lot more piano on them too.
A recommended purchase to anyone who loves to hear jazzy tunes with a touch of romance.
on 12 September 2001
This is a superb cd, a must for anyone who loves music. A warm cd that lifts the spirits, a joy to play time and time again
on 22 September 2000
I bought this CD after discovering "Loves Scenes" quite by accident. The first time I played "When I look in Your Eyes" I had to stop what I was doing - making dinner - and just sit down and listen to that wonderful voice. I listened to the whole CD three or four times over, quite forgetting the time and my stomach! She has such a natural ability to bring any song, any melody, any lyric to life and often in a most unexpected and misceivous way. If you want an introduction to how good jazz can be, buy this (and all her other CDs too!) trust me, you won't regret it. I recently had the pleasure of seeing and hearing Diana Krall together with Tony Bennett (Tony Bennett!) on Dave Letterman's show in North America. I have seldom seen two musicians so suited to one another. Enjoy.