Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 February 2011
I have owned this album since it first came out (on lovely vinyl of course) and although I have long since transferred this to CD myself, I was intrigued by this new release, so I bought it. The standard tracks are all there on disc 1 with a couple of extras, and they still sound incredibly fresh - hard to believe that so much of the great music I was lucky enough to grow up with is so old now.

Disc 2 is very interesting and unlike at least one other reviewer, I shall certainly be playing it again. To a non-musician like me, it is fascinating to hear the tracks without the vocals, both to see just how much the vocals contribute to the overall sound and melody, and also to hear all the subtle background bits that you don't/can't hear when the vocals are there. But I agree about the All Night Long Cozy Powell mix track - unlike the rest, it doesn't sound like an interesting alternate remix, it just sounds a bit of a mess.

Overall, well worth buying even if you have the original album already.

And the onions? Well, back where I worked when this came out (1979/80?), we used to regularly frequent a nearby pub for lunch, and on the jukebox there (remember those?), Since You've Been Gone was far and away the most popular track, it was played ALL the time. The pub served the most delicious steak and onion rolls, and whenever I hear this track now, I am instantly transported back to that pub, sat with a great bunch of friends and munching one of those rolls. Happy Days.
22 Comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 March 2017
How do you follow an album which basically became the Band's "Signature" Album? The most obvious answer is simply "you don't, as you'll never better perfection", That said, there's certainly no harm in trying and this was a worthy successor. The eagerly anticipated follow-up to the Phenomenal "Rising",the album which catapulted the band into the public consciousness (beyond Deep Purple Fans, who already knew of Ritchie's existence) this is yet another masterpiece from the band, and helped cement their place in people's memories. One of the first things you notice is the Personnel Changes, With Graham Bonet replacing Ronnie James Dio on Vocals, and Don Airey being brought in on keyboards. The album itself, serves as a worthy follow up to Rising, but should also be judged in its own right, not just as a followup.

It starts off steady enough, and slowly builds, a bit like a menacing creature creeping up on you, and it doesn't take long at all before it bursts into life. Pretty much like all incarnations of the band, they carry on where the previous one left off, and you don't see the join. Graham Bonet proves to be a more than adequate vocalist, and while none of the songs really cover topics that would later become familiar as "Ronnie's type pf tracks" Bonet more than holds his own, not least on the two tracks which were later released as singles, Since you've been Gone and All Night Long (the latter most definitely NOT to be confused with the Lionel Ritchie single of the same name)!

While these two are the most recognisable tracks on the album, for me, there are others just as good, not least the final track on the Album; Lost in Hollywood, which really exercises Graham Bonet's vocal chords! The line up lasted for a couple of years, until the new album would be released with yet another new line up, Graham Bonet having left the band (or been sacked by Ritchie) a departure which shocked absolutely nobody at all,, seeing as his appearance was constantly being citicised by Ritchie (he looked a sort of cross between a 50's Rocker, with his slicked back hairstyle, and a beach bun, (complete with Hawaiian shirt), The departure, though, would do him no harm, as he would re-emerge a few times later, either with different bands, or in his own right
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 May 2017
Was looking forward to getting this album, It arrived on time and was well packaged, Plays perfectly , not a mark on it. I got it as a replacement for my old one of many years that had become warped. so good to hear the crisp and clear sound of Rainbow again.
on 9 June 2017
An excellent album I bought on vinyl as a child. Now I've got it on CD and can play it in the car
on 1 May 2017
Good
on 12 March 2017
great
on 22 April 2015
Great album. Great to hear it again on Vinyl.
on 3 October 2010
A great album, not quite up to rising standards, but there isnt a weak song on the album. Eyes of the world stands comparision with the all time greats.
on 18 March 2017
I shamefully ignored Rainbow when I was younger, just too bothered about the Bay area Thrash scene at the time. As I entered my 40's my tastes mellowed and I've started to get into lots of the traditional or classic rock albums. When it came to Rainbow i picked up all the Dio era ones and enjoyed them. Then just to compare, I tried Down to Earth. At first I thought it was better than the first album but not as good as 2 and 3. On closer inspection I'd say it's my fave now. The songs are just more straight forward rockers rather than some of dare I say self indulgence on Rising and Long Live. Not to take anything from those albums, like i said earlier i enjoy them, but this just seems to trim the fat.
on 10 June 2015
AFTER THE L8 GR8 RONNIE JAMES DIO LEFT RAINBOW IN 1979 TO REPLACE OZZY OSBOURNE IN BLACK SABBATH RICHIE BLACKMORE RECRUITED " GRAHAM BONNET " TO FILL HIS SHOES .
THIS IS THE ALBUM THAT CATAPULTED RAINBOW IN TO THE LIMELIGHT WITH THE MAJOR HIT " SINCE YOU BEEN GONE " THE SONGS ON THIS ALBUM ARE ALL EXCELLENT & BONNET'S VOICE IS VERY POWERFUL . BUT ALEDGEDLY DUE TO BLACKMORE'S DISLIKE OF BIG COLLARED SHIRTS & LEATHER JACKETS WITH FLOWERS ON HE GAVE BONNET THE BOOT . SHAME REALLY BECAUSE THE JOE LYNN TURNER ALBUMS AREN'T A PATCH ON DOWN TO EARTH .

SINCE YOU BEEN GONE / ALL NIGHT LONG / LOST IN HOLLYWOOD / DANGER ZONE ~ ARE ALL CLASSICS . TO BE HONEST THERE ISN'T A BAD TRACK ON THIS . REAL SHAME RONNIE DIDN'T STOP AND RECORD THIS MASTERPIECE . 1 OF THE BEST 80s ROCK ALBUMS AROUND THAT WILL STAND THE TEST OF TIME