Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 February 2010
This was probably the first proper 'rock' album I bought way back in 1979. It was a big step for me as Id been used to listening to stuff like Genesis, Yes and stuff. At the time (I was still quite young, mind) it blew my socks off and made me want to grow my air long, play loud guitars and misbehave a lot. Trouble was, I listened to it so much that I ended up tiring of it pretty quickly and discovered other bands I preferred like UFO, Iron Maiden and all the NWOBHM that was going at the time - so I probably havent heard this in its entirety since the early 80s. So, where am I going with all this? Yes, bought this as a download last month and stuck it on in the car for nostalgic reasons more than anything and got the shock of my life - it's still good! As this was only my introduction to Rainbow I found later I prefferred the Dio albums, but this is a more earthy, more blues based album that the three with the wee man, and probably because of that it hasnt really dated as much as the others. The singles, All night Long and Since you been gone still sound fresh (SYBG maybe less so, as it seems to be included in all the soft rock compilation cds over the past 30 years or so), Eyes of the World, Lost in Hollywood and Danger Zone are still fairly big rock pieces and No time to lose is still an absolute belter of a song. Makin Love is a bit of a whimper, but you cant have it all I suppose. The playing is excellent and fresh sounding, especially Cozy Powells drums and Bonnetts voice - Roger Glovers production is also noticably crisp and tight - one of those rare albums where everyone gets a good sound. In all, I was well happy to revisit such a landmark album of my plooky youth and find it was still a great piece of music. I doubt if anyone will be saying the same in 30 years time about anyone spawned forth from the X factor...
P.S. I also downloaded Weiss Heim, the B Side of All Night Long and stuck it on the end of this - WH was recorded at the same time as this album and its one of my favourite guitar pieces ever - an instrumental that really packs in the emotion - a very rare beast indeed!. Also, it sits very well as an album closer - dont know why it was never included when this came out on CD. Id recommend anyone buying this album does the same.
on 20 March 2011
Classic Album by Rainbow with bonus tracks the instrumental versions of Since you'been gone, makin love and All night Long are filler material on the bonus CD . great for the Purists and archivists . The alternate or original version of Loves No Friend shows that sometimes revisiting an idea or song and doing it over can n be a vast improvement. Bonnet's voice is always great to hear, Blackmore's genius is there for all to hear , Cozy Powell(R.I.P) was a drummer par excellence and often overlooked by people who should know better . Don Airey's versatility on keyboards shows why he was a ready replacement for Jon Lord in Deep Purple and again the ever dependable Roger Glover anchors it all with his superlative bass playing. A pity the Bonnet's involvement with the band came to an end as it would have interesting to see what a follow up from him would have been like before we we entered the Jolene era of the band
on 22 April 2011
Nice bit of polishing on the 1980 offering from Rainbow. In late 1979 I bought the single Since You Been Gone c/w Bad Girl first and awaited eagerly the album release & I wasn't too disappointed with it - some nice radio friendly tracks (Since You Been Gone & All Night Long - well the radio does pay the bills!), a couple of tracks in the 'real Rainbow mode' (Lost In Hollywood & The Eyes of the World), a couple of love songs (Makin' Love & Love's No Friend) & a couple of fillers (Danger Zone & No Time To Lose) so there was something for everyone and most of the aforementioned tracks have stood the test of time.
Completing disc 1 are the B sides Bad Girl (why wasn't it on the album) & the instrumental Weiss Heim taped after the Down To Earth sessions...in my opinion one of the best moments Ritchie Blackmore has had on record.

Missing from disc 1 is the studio version of Will You Love Me Tomorrow (slated to be the 3rd single...and this recording must be somewhere - probably with Mr B.) & the remixed version of All Night Long that was used as the single...and these should be on album releases like these for completists like myself.

Onto disc 2...I like Graham Bonnet (a "Marmite" singer if ever there was one) and have followed his output ever since and his contributions actually make it a 5 star album (instead of the 4 star it deserves) as he only ever sang over the completed backing tracks - hence the available "rough mixes" on disc 2 - but it sounds like he is really contributing...the two 'demo' renditions of NTTL & LNF feel poor as we are all now familiar with the finished versions but show an insight into the way a song can go from a mundane song to a classic (LNF)with a different lyric.

Most of the "Rough Mixes" have been about on bootleg for a while and now we get a cleaned up version which is welcome as each has their own working title which maybe mentioned in the booklet but if you get the Mp 3 download you will not know about them...so here they are.
Stone (Bad Girl);
The Steamer (Lost In Hollywood) - different intro to finished version;
Bluesing(Aint a Lot of Love In the Heart of Me/Love's No Friend) - the 2nd version does have GB on it but very quiet (probably learning it?)
Mars (The Eyes of the World) - the 2nd version is better as the guitar is more prominent with no intro
The Plod (Makin' Love);
New York (Danger Zone) different intro (hey tone those maracas down!!!)
Once More With Feeling (All Night Long) nice heavy drums on this one - great instrumental!!
...the Since You Been Gone rough mix is great - lovely layered guitar then Mr B stops soloing and then the band carry on (for an extended version maybe???)
It would have been better to have vocal demos of all the tracks but I aint' complaining...just listening to the guitar is enough for me with Mr B.
...the Cozy mix, I agree, is a bit of a mess - drums way up, vocals down apart from the chorus parts which has an echo...some of the piano is bought up in the mix too (a bit of a mess really but was it for a 'wind up' as some reviwer has stated).

I guess that disc 1 is remastered - can't tell much different but sounds louder than my originals - I had it on vinyl, tape for the car and CD - if you like instrumentals get this; if you like to hear they way an album takes shape get this...or if you liked the Dio version of Rainbow and moaned about Down To Earth's commercial style...get it anyway.

I hope this helped
on 13 November 2008
Rainbow really did come Down To Earth for their 1979 release of the same name, featuring a lineup overhaul as the unpredictable Graham Bonnet was recruited to fill the boots of Ronnie James Dio, while ex-Deep Purple bassist Roger Glover and keyboardist Don Aiery joined Richie Blackmore's ranks. Down To Earth features a string of catchy rockers that drop the Dio era's D&D stance in favor of straight-shootin' accounts of chasin' tail and the inevitable romantic woe that follows, as heard on the backstage action of "All Night Long," turbulent "Danger Zone," and their top-ten cover of Russ Ballard's arena-rock warhorse, "Since You've Been Gone." Elsewhere, Blackmore and Aiery flex some instrumental muscle on "Eyes of the World," while "Love's No Friend" features a slow groove that highlights Bonnet's dramatic delivery, and the album wraps up with the charging "Lost in Hollywood." Despite trading in the chainmail for a sports jacket, Rainbow are firing on all cylinders throughout Down To Earth, making for a killer set of melodic rock.
on 19 March 2011
DtE was always one of favourite Rainbow albums and it has now got a whole lot better. Disc 2 is a revelation. The underpinning work by Ritchie and Cozy is amazing, giving the listener a chance to hear what would normally be buried in the final mix. It's almost like listening to a brand new album. The emphasis (deliberately?) seems to be on Cozy as a kind of tribute. I have no problem with the Cozy mix of All Night Long, with the drums pushed up in the mix, you get to feel the power that he had (and which his successors failed to carry on). Graham Bonnet's voice also shows plenty of range, especially with alternative lyrics. Don Airey also shows why he was the right successor to Jon Lord in Deep Purple. Definitely a 5 star album.
VINE VOICEon 22 March 2011
Looking back Down to Earth seemed to satisy no-one: too commercial for Dio fans but too heavy for the pop fans. It obviously tried to bridge that gap to some extent: progressive rock was dying at the end of the 1970s and Blackmore saw that change was necessary. Personally I really like this CD. The songs no-one seems to appreciate: "Danger Sign", "Loves no Friend", I find exceptionally well written, arranged and performed. "Eyes of the World" and "Lost in Hollywood" are more old style Rainbow and easy to like, whilst "Since You've Been Gone" may be poppy but it's still powerfull fun.
on 20 December 2015
If ever there was a bloke in the wrong place at the wrong time it has to be Graham Bonnet! Having sung his heart out brilliantly on this, the last truly great Rainbow album, all the poor bugger got was "yeah, ok, but he's not Dio!" When Dio contributed to two of the best rock albums ever, Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules, all he got was "yeah, but he's not Ozzy!" It's a shame there are so many narrow minded prats who don't accept that life and rock bands move on.
on 15 January 2015
Firstly an admission, I don't think this album is in the same league as Rainbow Rising, or Deep Purple's In Rock, Machine Head or Made in Japan, but they are some of the very best albums ever. Unlike most albums with Ritchie Blackmore the guitar is not the stand out feature, the guitar playing is excellent, but as part of the song structure.
So why 5 stars? Well firstly there are 2 of the best AOR type singles made in "since you've been gone" and "All night long", not really my thing but very catchy. The main reason are 2 songs; "eyes of the world" and "lost in Hollywood", to my ears they are fairly unique I suppose they come under the general heading of "power ballads" but with a gritty hard edge.
I remember going to see this line up at Deeside ice rink (anyone else there and remember the ice melting?) and at Monsters of Rock, as a leather and denim clad youth I wanted to hate Bonnet for his super slick image, but couldn't, he was an exceptional vocalist and his vocal display is the 3rd reason for the five stars.
on 4 February 2011
I had very high hopes for this remastering, since Andy Pearce was in charge of the job, and he has done a great job on most of the Black Sabbath remasters from 2009. Not sure what happened here, but it doesn't sound like Andy's typical work. The CD sounds noticeably louder than the original mastering, the mastering on the Rainbow compilations done by Steve Fallone (which sound very good to me) and also louder than the previous remastering by Suha Gur. But besides that, the album now also sounds very bright and harsh to me, and there is no natural sound to the vocals and drumas (i.e. snare) any more.

Maybe this kind of mastering will appeal to some people, and it falls in the same category as so many remasterings out there: Loud and bright.

That is too bad in my opinion. We can hope that Rainbow Rising will be better.

The new packaging is also not very nice from a material point of view. There is no more plastic slipcase and the grey Deluxe Edition banner is only a sticker. If this CD gets shipped individually, it will probably arrive like my copy with a bent spine (which I don't like very much).
66 Comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 February 2011
Rainbow Down to Earth Deluxe Edition

This rerelease comes as a double CD in a fold out digiipack. It comes complete with a 16 page booklet and on disc 2 "previously unreleased bonus tracks".

Disc one is the original album with "Bad Girl" and "Weiss Heim" added on from the single B sides. It's a long time since I listened to DTE all the way through and it has of course personal highs and lows. "Eyes of the World" and "Lost in Hollywood" went down very well as I drove down the M5 last night!

Disc two is interesting although I doubt many of us will listen to it more than once .. with the exception of one or two tracks. It's clearly labelled as "A work In Progress" and features instrumental outtakes of the main album tracks. There is also a very odd "All Night Long Cozy Powell mix" with Cozy faded up and Bonnet lost in the background. The booklet isn't clear as to where in the process of making the album these come from and that might frustrate some fans. Unless you are in a band their main use is for occasional karaoke rainbow sessions .. I doubt you'd want to listen to them in any other context.

The spice on the bonus disc are the tracks "Spark Don't Mean A Fire" and "Ain't A Lot of Love in the Heart of Me" These are actually "No Time to Lose" and "Loves No Friend" with completely different lyrics .. and for me "Ain't ..." is a better version. I suspect it was just a bit close to "Whitesnake" in both title and vocal style on the hook to make the cut at that time!

The booklet is 16 pages long and tells the back story of the album. As mentioned it doesn't reveal very much about the extra tracks and, whilst it features the alternate album cover design, doesn't give any explanation as to the final choice. Lyrics would have been a good edition to a "deluxe" edition as might some digital info on the CD itself for.

Good to hear you again then "Down To Earth" and you serve your purpose well in getting us ready for the Deluxe version of "Rainbow Rising" later this month.
Rising