Love Over Gold
Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 5 February 2014
For me, this album is essential for any Dire Straits fan, or for any fan of good guitar playing. For that matter, I think it should have a place in the CD collection of any discerning rock music fan. Many DS fans rightly consider it the band's finest album. The star attraction here is Telegraph Road, a 14 minute masterpiece with emotive lyrics and fantastic playing that still sounds as epic and emotional today as it did back when it was released. The album is worth the price for that sublime cut alone. Private Investigations and Love Over Gold are powerful tracks, masterfully played. I can't quite give it 5 stars as I just can't, no matter how hard I try, get into "Industrial Disease", even though I symapthise with the theme of the lyrics - it just seems, to me, totally over-shadowed by the other compositions, which seem far better. Listening to this CD still gets the hairs on the back of my neck and still makes me jealous of Mr Knopfler's talent as a finger-style guitar player. I used to use this as a test vinyl for hi-fi equipment because the original vinyl was such a wonderful quality recording. This CD doesn't disappoint the sonic stakes either - if they have re-mastered it (some dispute this) they seem to have done it with some thought, rather than just brickwalled it to make it sound as loud as possible - the dynamics still seem present in the recording, so well done Vertigo.
7 people found this helpful
on 28 December 2017
I bought this album back when it first came out, but somehow over the decades of not listening to vinyl I have lost it. I think this is a good re-pressing of the LP, it matches the quality of my other Dire Straits LPs bought when they were released in the 70's and 80's. The only problem is that side one is full of odd transients and distortions. (I know what fluff and dust sound like) On closer examination I've found that the surface of the LP has a series of parallel scratches and marks. So I've sent it back.

Basically good recording ruined by poor production control.
on 7 June 2014
That was my response to a friend who recommended this album to me, after my purchase of new headphones - 'Especially the title track', she said!

But I never fail to accept good advice, and went ahead, so was suitably rewarded when I sat down to listen for the first time.

Dire Straits are so well known, I'm not going to attempt to add to their accolades, but to release a remastered CD of 'concert-length' recordings is a stroke of genius. Solid competent band with Knopfler's characteristic guitar take you through highs and lows, excitement and peacefulness, sometimes in the same number. a brilliant addition to my collection!

And, at the end, I hadn't noticed there were only five tracks!
4 people found this helpful
on 20 August 2015
One of the finest albums by any band...Telegraph Road still makes my spine tingle after 30+ years and I have yet to hear a better piece of rock music. Incredible song writing, delivered by an amazingly talented group of musicians. After hearing Mark Knopfler play his searing, emotionally charged solos every other rock guitarist sounds two dimensional by comparison...and yet he doesn't overshadow the others, the sublime drumming on TG stands out, the piano playing of course, and the bass top class, adding tension and drive in perfect doses. There are no real weaknesses in the album, even the 'comedy number' Industrial Disease boasts some genuinely biting satire and decent riffs...while the title track is achingly beautiful, Private Investigations transports the listener straight into the pathos of the PI, and the darkness of It Never Rains sees out 5 track album appropriately. As a whole the album has a real atmosphere to it, putting it squarely into the league of other greats like Dark Side of the Moon and others...
on 29 September 2014
I used to have this on tape back in the day and wore it out! After a gap of almost 25 years I wondered whether it really was as good as I'd remembered, so ordered the CD. Result? It still has the ability to take me to a different, more beautiful world. Everything about this album is perfect. The playing, the recording, and of course the songs. I can't add much to previous reviews, but it certainly was the zenith of Knopfler's creativity as a composer and musician. I saw them live in 1985 at the height of their fame, and they played almost 3 hours of outstanding music. However, I have to say that the the truly great songs were pre Brothers in Arms, and the slide continued apace with On Every Street.
Love Over Gold is their crowning achievement and Alchemy the ultimate live recording. These 2 discs give you everything that was great about Dire Straits, and I can't recommend them highly enougj
on 24 April 2016
Wow just got into vinyl again and this is the first 33 I have purchased. I bought this because it is my favorite Dire Straits album and I just wanted to hear those guitars back on vinyl again...and wow they sound great. I am not going to go through the whole album track by track as probably everyone has inside knowledge of this great album anyway, I simply just wanted to tell everyone about what I feel is a better listening experience on 180g vinyl, its like you are in the studio with the guys. I have only a basic Audio Technics turntable and a blootooth speaker with a wireless connection and I get superb sound so overall I recommend everyone to invest there cash back into vinyl to get a far more pleasurable music experience. What a way to start the day
on 4 May 2017
This is a meticulously recorded and mastered album on vinyl. Due to the quiet nature of many sections of the tracks, the high quality pressing with virtually zero surface noise is a blessing.

This is Dire Straits at their finest with some great epic tracks and lovely transients to test the power, speed and agility of a hifi system.

Highly recommended.
on 17 September 2017
I have this album already - I bought this one for someone who said they liked Dire Straits but had not heard this album. Telegraph Road is an outstanding opening track and remains one of my favourite pieces of music ever.
on 14 April 2014
Really good remastering of one of the last great albums from before the CD revolution.

Side 2 is very good with the most unlikely single Private Investigations ( in the UK that is), the breezy and Dylanesque Industrial Disease and the haunting Love Over Gold and It Never Rains.

But stuff all that. I bought this for Telegraph Road. which I think is one of the finest 'guitar' songs ever written.

Now you can all go away while I listen to it yet again.
on 4 August 2014
In some ways this is Dire Straits most beautiful and reflective album. At the time, it was also a brave move. At over 14 minutes Telegraph Road is hardly the traditional way to start an album, but it is so beautifully crafted that every one of those 14 minutes is worth it. Springsteen meets the Tyne in a good way....As others have noted, the only blot on this musical landscape is "jokey" Industrial Disease. Five tracks - four really good, one ordinary= 4 stars