Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop Women's Shop Men's

Format: Audio CD|Change

This compilation includes many of Dusty’s sixties hits, plus some of her eighties comeback hits. However, it does not include any of her Springfield hits (Island of dreams in the UK, Silver threads and golden needles in the USA), nor does it include any of her seventies music, so it cannot be described as a career-spanning retrospective.
The set opens with Dusty’s first solo hit, the classic I only want to be with you, although the songs are not presented in any particular order, least of all chronological – indeed, the second song, In private, was Dusty’s last British top twenty hit (at least during her lifetime – you never know if there will be another on the back of a commercial or a movie).
Other classics here include I just don’t know what to do with myself, Some of your loving, Going back, You don’t have to say you love me, I close my eyes and count to ten, Losing you, In the middle of nowhere and Son of a preacher man, all of which reached the top ten in sixties Britain. Dusty’s chart record was very different in America – Wishing and hoping, also included here, was a top twenty American hit but was never released as a single in Britain. Many lesser hits are also included.
Three notable covers are also here – Twenty-four hours from Tulsa, Anyone who had a heart and If you go away. Dusty recorded many covers, but these are among the best and certainly the equal of the original versions of these songs, perhaps even better.
The eighties are represented by In private, What have I done to deserve this (with the Pet shop boys) and Nothing has been proved, but the most recent song here is Wherever would I be, recorded in 1995.
There have been many Dusty compilations, but this is one of the strongest.
22 Comments| 129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 June 2001
If you have to buy one album with nothing but the finest songs that Dusty Springfield ever sang!, then this is it. It has to be appreciated purely for 'The Look Of Love' because it is simply the most sensitive and beautiful song ever performed.
Ashley Barker
on 27 March 2008
I originally bought this because I thought I quite like her and will be spending a week with my mum and sister soon so I can play it in the car and no-one will complain but lo and behold it's one of the BEST CD's I've ever purchased, my only beef being that the 80's stuff could have been left off in favour of a few more of her earlier material. Haven't heard a Dusty tune in years but remembered all the words from when my mum played them over and over as I was growing up. She was truly a legend and the music is still CLASSIC.
on 28 December 2013
It's brilliant, just what I wanted as I am on my own as my wife has recently died after 50 years married.
on 11 July 2010
if your ever going to buy a dusty springfield album and only have space for one this is THE one to get.A terrific selection of numbers including most (but not all)of her big hits and my favourite "goin' back" .A goody and at such a good price too.One of those must have albums
on 20 February 2014
This album contains all of the essential Dusty songs from her golden era in the 60s and also includes the singles released during her renaissance in the 80s, so there's plenty here for existing fans and those coming across her work for the first time.

However, it's the sound quality that lets this compilation down for me. It sounds like the remastering engineers have tried to enrich the recordings and bring the bass to the fore and to be fair, they've partially succeeded. Where it falls down is the top end is lacking in sparkle and at some points sounds quite muffled.

Whether this is due to over aggressive noise reduction or just a way to emphasise the bass content is unclear, but compared to the earlier "Silver Collection" this sounds quite a dull recording to my ears. It may be a matter of personal taste as at least one comment on the "Silver Collection" CD describes that as tinny, but for me something has been lost in the transfer here.

This issue just afflicts the 60s recordings, those from the 80's sound much as they did at the time they were released.
Dusty' started her recording career fronting the group 'The Springfields' in the
early sixties with songs such as 'Island of Dreams' and 'Say I Won't be There'
This was when I was fortunate to see her on stage, it was on the 'Del Shannon'
Tour.
As a solo artist she had a number of chart successes, though only 'You Don't
Have To say You Love Me' actually topped the chart in the U.K. back in 1966.
though she did achieve 16 Top 30 hits in all 10 of which peaked in the Top 10.
The song she is best remembered for I guess was 'Son of a Preacher Man' that
first charted in 1968 reaching a high of number 9.
This album has most of her chart singles on board along with one or two cover-
versions.
Some of her best known songs on this album being (other than the two listed)
'I Only Want to Be With You'.....'I Just Don't Know What to do With Myself' ....
'What have I Done to Deserve This'......'Wishing and Hoping'......'Stay Awhile'..
'I Close My Eyes and Count to Ten' .....and......'All I See is You' ....among them.
Looking at the albums available at present I'd have to say if you are wanting
just the one reflection of this lady's music, this is the one to buy (playing it while
I write, have owned it since it's release)
'Dusty' was indeed perhaps one of the first recognised 'Diva's of the 'Pop-scene'
Well worth owning.
Sadly as many will know 'Dusty' lost her battle with cancer '4th March 1999' aged
just '59'
Her Music of course 'lives-on'
on 8 September 2000
Whilst I love The Very Best of Dusty and love her material that is included on this Cd, I can't help but feel a little manipulated by the hype that surrounded her death and resulted in several Cd releases that didn't include her best songs. Whilst this is the best of the lot, and does include most of her better known material, it does not show her at her greatest. A lot of her greatest songs have been foresaken for her most commercial hits; unlike the album: "Dusty Springfield: Greatest Hits" released in 1983.
on 22 March 2013
Appreciate her voice and the lyrics far more than first time around in my teenage years. Dusty had such a powerful delivery and vocal range. Enhancement of the sound quality seems to have been limited on some tracks, sounding as though they have been lifted straight from the original without much tweaking.
on 24 December 2013
A voice to sing along with & cry with.
Have played it over & over, & still fascinated