Customer reviews

More Love Songs
Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£45.73+ £1.26 shipping

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 25 April 2015
If Loudon's ever in your town, don't even think about it, just get hold of tickets and get on down there and you'll have the time of your life, since he's one of the most entertaining solo singers (he's generally solo in the UK) you'll ever see. I've seen him amble on stage, grin at the audience and shamelessly say: 'Hello, I'm Johnny Cash' - after which, once the laughter had died down, he had us in the palm of his hand.
More Love Songs was his tenth studio LP, made in 1986 when he was a wizened 39, and is as good as anything he's ever done, despite one or two more throwaway tracks, such as Vampire Blues and I Eat Out, on the latter of which the typically inventive lyrics come over best when performed live, rather than the rather rushed version here.
With a luxury backing band including Richard Thompson (who also produced), old pal Chaim Tannenbaum, bass wizard Danny Thompson, Dave Mattacks, Martin Carthy and John Kirkpatrick, along with backing vocals by Maria Muldaur, Christine Collister and others, the accompaniments are more varied than on some of Loud's albums - though I confess I've always been more than happy to hear him eloquently alone with guitar.
Highlights of this recording made in his temporary home of London (following the painful split from his first wife, the now sadly late Kate McGarrigle) tend to be the slower, more 'serious' songs, such as the sadly tender Your Mother and I, an explanatory lyric to his then young children Rufus & Martha:

Your mother and I are not getting along
Somehow, somewhere, something went wrong
Everything changes, time takes its toll
Your folks fell in love, love's a very deep hole

Time and again, throughout his career, this brilliant, too often undervalued and taken-for-granted songwriter finds ways to express the simplest emotions in the most articulately witty language. He can have you laughing and crying in the same song, often in the same verse or even line.
The Home Stretch is a meditative, downbeat song about life on the road, while Unhappy Anniversary is a short, pithy song that speaks for itself:

Unhappy anniversary, it's one year since we split
I walk and talk and get around, lie down, stand up and sit

The man's hurting, but he can make you smile wryly even as he breaks his and your heart.
Overseas Call is one of Loudon's most beautiful songs, with a memorable musical hook to match: 'Gonna make me an overseas call...'
With its golfing metaphor (Loudon - golf!) The Back Nine closes this bittersweet album in sombre style:

Got to move on down to that next fairway
Up to that flapping flag
Got to shoulder up that bag...

There are more flippant songs too - the hilarious Synchronicity and bloodthirstily tasteless Vampire Blues, along with an angry Man's World and the upbeat negativity of the briskly titled No.
Then there's the lyrically deft Expatriot, with its idealistic imagery and typical
wordplay:

Livin' in a garret in Paris, a houseboat in Amsterdam
Smokin' a beard, growin' a pipe, and doin' the best I can

I haven't mentioned the excellent opening number, the wild and wanton Hard Day On the Planet, which is about exactly what it sounds like it's about.
The two extra tracks on this welcome reissue from 2003 are The Acid Song (which I've never liked much, and can also be found on his wonderful live album Career Moves) and a lovely duet with another favourite singer-singwriter of mine, John Hiatt, on an older song entitled At the End of a Long Lonely Day. Two kindred spirits whose voices meld perfectly.
With an exemplary booklet that includes pics and full song lyrics, as well as extensive and intelligent liner notes by one Joey Webb, this is a great buy for both the Wainwright fan and newcomer alike.

I'm in the old world now - you're in the new
Gonna pick up the phone, try to get through
Seven hours and an ocean between me and you
Gonna make me an overseas call
on 9 August 2017
what can I say that hasn't been said already? Out of the few albums I own featuring LW111, I have to say that this is fast becoming my favourite. It really has everything a LW111 fan would want. Must applaud the vendor too for extremely prompt service, Thank you.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 July 2013
Wow! Every song on this CD is just brilliant. Truly excellent mix of tracks. This has to be Loudon Wainwright III at his best. At the moment I keep on playing it over and over. Well, alternating between "Love songs" and Keston Cobblers' Club "One, For Words". Food for the ears and brain.
on 9 January 2013
He always seems to know just how you feel at certain points in ones life. Witty and melancholic at the same time sad subjects with charm and wit. Would never make the X factor which is recontamination enough in some views.. Bit of a Marmite taste, if you like him you'll likely love him
on 24 January 2016
excellent CD with first class tracks by Loudon and all the musicians involved
on 17 March 2009
Until it was recommended I had never heard of this CD, but took a chance as I love Loudon. Its a classic; a seldom seen softer side with a hint of the old acerbic LW3. Produced by Richard Thompson, the combination of these two geniuses has produced something special. I've no idea how it took me decades to find it.
33 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 30 June 2003
My brother loaned me Loudon's first four albums when I was 12 and I was hooked. He's like an addictive vinyl soap opera, and you just can't wait until you can hear the next episode of his life.
When More Love Songs came out I saw him perform live twice that year, and heard him on Radio 1 on Johnny Walker's afternoon show plugging the album. It's like a beautifully worked piece of jewelry in every respect, and the songs vent spleen like nothing he's done before or since!
It's not an album you'd play if you had a new girlfriend home for coffee because Man's World would get them rushing for their coat before the kettle boiled. The most commercial song on the album, if there is such a thing with Loudo, is Your Mother and I and I am amazed he never released it as a single, it could have been a Christmas Number 1 as everyone I knew at the time thought it was terrific, and most have never heard his songs before.
Vampire Blues is given the swing treatment and it is very well done in studio form indeed.
Other favourites are Unhappy Anniverssary (which could have been a No 1 in Nashville), Hard Day On The Planet, and Home Stretch which hits the nail right on the head. Only one track disappointed me and that's No, which is just one dud out of 12 tracks.
on 7 November 2003
...for this album - one of two mid-late 1980's classics from Loudon, to be nominated for Grammys. Although he's always been known for the acerbic genius of his lyrics, one of the great things about this album is the quality of the music itself, from the ultra-cool double bass line on 'Hard Day on the Planet,' to Richard Thompson's moody and magnificent guitar on 'The Home Stretch.' For any recent converts to Loudon Wainwright, this is a must-have, as it nicely bridges the gap between his early, troubador style sound, and the later more polished albums. There's humour here too, on upbeat numbers like Vampire Blues. All in all, a great album for Wainwright fans new and old.