Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 December 2011
I purchased this recording after hearing the Cantus Arcticus on radio; I was immediately captivated by it.
This composer has captured an element in music and birdsong, which is quite unique. It offers a period of time removed from everyday music, that transports one into a wonderful realm of relaxing contemplation and spacial thought with a quality that evokes the beauty of Arcticus, and the inspired addition of the birdsong.
A truly unique and fascinating piece of music for those who wish to explore deeper into it.
The addition of the concerto and symphony are a pleasant bonus.
I love it all.
on 3 November 2015
Heard this early one morning on Radio 3 when we were out on our narrowboat. Suddenly found I was crying as it was so moving. Not everyone's cup of tea, but it certainly struck a chord with us.
on 8 July 2015
Remarkable music by an intriguing composer.
on 28 November 2016
Bought this on the basis of having liked most of what I'd heard on a sampler of his work and it's like sampler it's very good in places. At the typical Naxos bargin price well worth it.
on 12 April 2014
As with others the Cantus Articus was the work that got me interested in Rautavaara's music - it is magical and etherial
The Piano Concerto ok but pehaps lacks impact Finally there's the 3rd symphony, which I again liked
The CD gets 4 stars because of the Cantus dwlivered at such a low price and because there is no better introduction to this composer.
on 2 November 2015
I already own this recording. This one was purchased a a present for a friend, who also loves it.
on 25 August 2016
Brilliant
on 18 February 2013
If you find standing up to your knees in water on a cold mud flat a profound experience, this concerto is bound to help you relive the moment. Beautifully arranged
on 25 November 2013
I very much like the Cantus Arcticus, which is so evocative, but admit the rest is too 'modern' for me!
on 22 February 2008
The sounds of the birds as a backdrop to the music is very evocative. But, I doubt whether this is great music.
33 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse