Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£14.89+ £1.26 shipping

on 28 November 2016
I don't really like U2. Especially laterally.
Pop stars are there to entertain not preach.
Rant over, there are a few entertaining tunes from bono and co and what better way to get them than in a best of format.
I will admit there are some tunes I really like on here. I was more of a simple minds fan. It's ironic how they wanted to be like u2 and then started the whole pontificating thing , before becoming flat as a witches, hair under her hat lol.
Some good tunes, you could do worse.
on 10 June 2017
All their early hits, neatly packaged at a bargain price.
on 13 April 2017
good download
on 2 September 2015
The better songs (in my view) are on this cd - the early rock U2.
on 3 April 2006
This album is U2 at it's finest. For me their best music ever was out in the 80's and every one of those songs is represented here. The album starts off with Pride and moves through the brilliance that is U2 with New Years Day all the way through to All I want is You. The emotion of Sunday Bloody Sunday is evident every time and brings you right back to the first time you ever heard that song.
I believe this is one of those must have cd's of the 80's especially if you're a U2 fan.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 November 2012
For me, after 1990 U2 started their long gradual decline into irrelevance. (See my reviews of each individual album.) The 1980s, meanwhile, were a call to arms for the group, and that fact is vividly made manifest in this fine collection of hits and other best tracks from that decade. In 1980, who'd have thought the group would be where they were come the decade's end?

From the raw edge of 1980's `I Will Follow' through to the deep-rooted American stage of their journey in 1988's `Rattle & Hum' album, this `Best of' CD contains some superb music. For me 1984-87 was when they reached their peak, the period covered by the albums `The Unforgettable Fire' and `The Joshua Tree'. It's not all glory days, though: on this CD I would willingly ditch `I Will Follow' and `Sweetest Thing' in favour of other tracks.

This is a review of the original CD released in 1998. Its sound quality is good, but feels constricted (not so wide a spectrum) compared to the originals on some of the tracks. But don't let this put you off buying the best bits of one of the defining groups of the eighties.
VINE VOICEon 31 August 2006
Although the band still manage to create great songs and sounds it was during the 1980s that they arguably produced some of their best work and indeed, created some of the songs of all time which made the band the worldwide phenomenon they are today.

Songs like Pride, With or with out you, I still haven't found what I'm looking for and Where the streets have no name are now iconic and serve to represent what was a golden era for U2 and the music world in general.

Even if your not bothered about the B sides this compilation is simply brilliant and well worth owning. For me it should be in any music lovers collection.

Just as a final note, the music does not stop at track 14. After 'All I want is you', you will be treated to a bonus track so be patient and let it roll on.
on 8 July 2015
U2-The Best of 1980-1990 contains many strong and well known alternative rock hits that encompass the band U2’s musical career (such as New Year’s Day, Sweetest Thing, and Desire etc.). This collection has 15 hits and spans various parts of their musical growth (such as with the 1980’s era songs of Pride In The Name of Love, Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year’s Day, and Desire etc.). The Sweetest Thing song is a snapshot of their 1990’s musical journey. I’m lucky to have first found out about the 80’s musical hits collection of U2 as a high school student in the 1990’s(thanks to a caring friend I knew since middle school who gifted me with this collection). On a side note, this was partially why I was also elated when my husband bought me the U2 90’s greatest hits cd during the first year of our marriage (2004) (the 90’s greatest hits U2 cd is also enjoyable to listen to as is the 80’s U2 selection). For this reason, I would recommend The Best of 1980-1990 by U2 for those who enjoy greatest hits rock music collections and/or have also liked the Best of 1990-2000 by U2.
on 20 April 2005
U2 are certainly in my book the best band of all time and the 80's was their finest era. The brilliance of the joshua tree, unforgettable fire and rattle and hum are wonderfully represented here. However, my only gripe with the album is the lack of material from the band's early flashpunk era. Songs like tomorrow, like a song, with a shout, drowning man, out of control, electric co. etc... deserve inclusion in my book. Any of them could certainly have replaced when love comes to town which, although incredibly interesting, is by far the worst song here. The revamped sweetest thing is excellent though I prefer the b side original.
But perhaps I am being too fussy. This is almost as good a best of album as you will get with ome truly fantastic songs, if you have never heard U2 in their prime you must buy this album.
on 28 November 2003
An amazing compilation, one of the best value CD's I've ever purchased. However, there are some absolute gems are to be found on the limited edition B-Side CD that sometimes accompanies this album. Listen to the energy of 'The Three Sunrises', where Bono is on top form, or the twinkling intro to the original 'Sweetest Thing'. "Love comes tumbling down" is dark, moody, road-trip music. But the atmospheric 'Walk to the Water' stands out. A subtle song that catches you by surprise with its beautiful melodies. A remarkable compilation.