TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 February 2016
It feels like it was just yesterday when I was in third year of secondary school as a prefect policing the bike sheds, when my prefect partner Gary played the opening three songs of Misplaced Childhood. It must have been something like 30 years ago, I don't really want to think to deeply about how much time has passed, but those opening three songs touched a part of my soul and heart that no song had ever touched before. It felt like I was Dorothy stepping out of the monochrome world of Kansas into the technicolor world of Oz. The multi-layered tracks, of Kelly's mythical keyboards, the haunting beauty of Rothery's guitar, and the soulful rhythm section of Trewavas and Mosely all combing with the siren call of Fish's evocative vocals, within seconds had me enthralled with their beauty and emotional punch.

It was a march made in heaven, music to make your heart sing or weep combined with lyrics that were so emotional that they couldn't help but speak to a love struck teenage boy. Songs of love, loss, heartache, pride and pain Misplaced Childhood was easily the peer of any of the so called prog classics. Where Marillion stood apart from their peers and those who went before them was in the working class nature of their music, where Genesis and Yes were firmly rooted in the middle and upper classes, the music of Marillion transcended the class boundaries of the genre and spoke to those of us across the divide.

With Misplaced Childhood we could relate to the songs, a simple kids song becomes a love letter to the lonely, Heart of Midlothian becomes a rallying call for the Braveheart Generation and White Feather becomes a call for all us who felt disenfranchised and lost.

Even now the power of Fish's lyrics remain pertinent to our world

"Soup ladies poised on the lips of the poor
I see children with vacant stares, destined for rape in the alleyways
Does anybody care, I can't take any more!
Should we say goodbye?

I see priests, politicians?
Heroes in black plastic body-bags under nations' flags
I see children pleading with outstretched hands

Fish may have said that "we are proud to own our hearts, because these are our hearts", but for 41 minutes Fish you held both my heart and soul in the palm of your hand.
6 people found this helpful
on 22 February 2017
An album that I have on vinyl but don't have the means to play any longer even if I could retrieve it from the loft! Heard Kayleigh on the TV yesterday and realised that I hadn't heard the album for years - probably the 1990s. Arrived this morning and have been enjoying it all once again. Stadns the test of time well - The only Marillion album I own out of well over a thousand, I suppose I should check out others. This one and 'Kayleigh' has particularly good memories from when it was released. Fast delivery- ordered some time last night and delivered by the postman this morning.
on 11 April 2016
I still love this album, it broke my heart and won me fair maiden many times, though I broke her heart too.
This is the ultimate love album by a band at its height (they never bettered it). I saw the tours and special shows for this album and I have never felt let down by the band or these songs, they are a powerhouse of emotions and outpouring of love for lovers everywhere.
One of the albums that has proved timeless and beautiful, still totally engaging
2 people found this helpful
on 18 April 2016
One of the best progressive rock recordings of all time. The remix is pretty good although a little toppy for my liking, very unusual I have to turn the tone controls on and turn the top end down a little. Otherwise the sound is pretty good, I prefer it to the old vinyl, although maybe that is because my copy is worn out. Marillion never sounded better, a really satisfying set there is no filler here, just some really good music produced by good musicians and a fine poet.
One person found this helpful
on 15 July 2015
The three albums - Misplaced childhood, Script & Fugazi - Were probably my favourite albums of the 80's (mind you, there was a lot of really good stuff to choose from so that's 'probably' a stupid thing to say).
The lyrics, guitar, fish's powerful vocals & production just struck a chord with me & owning these three albums is like meeting up with a long lost friend - I'm not going to write too much about these albums, I believe music is very subjective - All i'm going to say is that if you like one of these albums, buy the other two.
You won't be disappointed.
on 14 April 2016
Misplaced Childhood - 2 CD Edition is now distributed by Parlaphone part of the Warner Music Group.
The Music is first class, however if your fan of Mark Wilkinson's artwork you will be disappointed with the quality of the printing - very poor when compared to the older EMI editions, lacking sharpness and detail, dark and over-saturated in colour, l work in the design/print industry and have not seen anything quite as bad as this for a long time, it does not represent the artist or the illustrator work very well.
Not the sort of quality l expect from a major record company - it looks like a pirated copy, l have checked with Amazon UK and they say the product is genuine.
The Parlaphone edition should be withdraw from sale until this error is rectified in future editions.
review image
|11 Comment|Report abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 21 January 2016
I haven't heard Marillion for years, but all the memories came flooding back on hearing a friend playing it, so I had to buy the CD for old times' sake. I had forgotten how great Fish sounds, what a voice! What I particularly love about this CD is how each track blends from one to the next so there is no break in music. It is hard to pick a favourite, but I would say 'Blind Curve' just tops it over Lavander. Fantastic album, glad I bought it.
on 1 July 2010
I belong to the generation who always thought Genesis were the real thing and that Marillion were at best a tribute band, appealing to sweaty trainspotters and overweight misogynists.

However after sitting on the shelf unplayed for several years, I dusted this off for a play the other day and sat bolt upright with a revelation. This is how Genesis of the 1980's *should* have sounded and it is they who sold out, by allowing Collins' funk/jazz penchant to dominate from Duke onwards.

Everything is here - soaring keyboards, some brilliant guitar solos and Fish's raw but haunting vocal performance. To get rock of this quality these days, you have to frequent the power metal scene. Absolutely timeless and classic and I'm sorry I ever doubted you guys. It's also far removed from present day Marillion as noted in my review of their latest albums.
on 6 April 2018
Bought it on Vinyl years ago.I had forgotten how brilliant it is. The poetry, Fish’s voice, some of the guitar solos are great. New MP3 player. What a joy. Getting some very strange looks on the allotment. Perhaps me in Capella mode is not as good as Fish. Who’d have guessed!
on 6 July 2017
Genre breaking album. Had this on tape originally. Never seems to age. Marillion at their best, with Fish.
One person found this helpful